56 and on the scrapheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we have night staff. The unit is covered 24/7. Some places do have sleep-overs though. A lot of places prefer mature staff. The oldest lad working there is 63.

I do something similar. I work the night shifts at a supported accommodation project for 16-18 year olds...plenty of challenging behaviour! It is a waking shift and to be honest I don't think I would trust the residents enough to go to sleep in the same building as them.

I'm 44 and had no previous experience in this kind of work but I think being ex forces got me the job.

aye it all depends what kind of job you're going for.

like alot of things in life, know your audience, or whatever the saying is.

if you're 56 and applying for jobs in clothes shops or trendy bars then you'd expect knockbacks but there's plenty of jobs out there for people willing to work whatever their age

56 was the ideal age to work in a clothes shop back in the old days, and trendy bars hadn't been invented. Now they just want young lasses in mini-skirts and that. Things were better back then for 56 years olds.

56 was the ideal age to work in a clothes shop back in the old days, and trendy bars hadn't been invented. Now they just want young lasses in mini-skirts and that. Things were better back then for 56 years olds.

Sounds to me like drinking in trendy bars may have improved me owld mucker

I was out of work for a few months either side of my 50th birthday and it was astonishing how once I was 50 I never got invited for interview for any of the advertised jobs I applied for.

I've found that this "56 so only 9 years left to work" thing is daft anyway.

Most 22 year olds are asking for promotion after 6 months, wanting to be the MD a year later and off 3 months after that. More often than not, an employer just wants someone reliable with integrity to do the job. Some one who's more advanced in years is likely to just crack on with the job and no go off in a strop every hours because their IPhone's gone flat

I've found that this "56 so only 9 years left to work" thing is daft anyway.

Most 22 year olds are asking for promotion after 6 months, wanting to be the MD a year later and off 3 months after that. More often than not, an employer just wants someone reliable with integrity to do the job. Some one who's more advanced in years is likely to just crack on with the job and no go off in a strop every hours because their IPhone's gone flat

This. I bet the average time spent at one company would be less than 6 years. I did 7 years at the last place I was at and I was the longest serving employee by that time. Been at my current employer nearly 3 years and again there's been a fair amount of churn

Nearly 1 month on and still no joy. Did make it to one interview and knew within 5 minutes of it starting it was going nowhere.
I feel for the lads who are being laid off from the crisp factory, especially those over 50.

Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.
Applied for a few jobs with either a quick knock back or no reply at all.

Is 56 too old?
56 is no age man.

Nearly 1 month on and still no joy. Did make it to one interview and knew within 5 minutes of it starting it was going nowhere.
I feel for the lads who are being laid off from the crisp factory, especially those over 50.
Keep going and something suitable will turn up when you least expect it.

Not sure what you looking for marra but if you are desperate come may I could well have something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back