56 and on the scrapheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just had some agency on the blower offering me some welding work.
I'm 57 in May, but now happily retired.
So if you've got what people want, then age seems to be no problem.
My dad had agencies, firms and lads ringing him up into his mid 70s! He doesn't look his age and when firms were recruiting through word of mouth lads would mention him knowing he was a hungry so and so not realising how old he was. Mind you time flies anarl so they could be forgiven.
From what he tells me I think he's got a part time job attending funerals these days.

Plenty of jobs out there for older folk. Garages need reliable folk with clean licences to deliver cars, drop off customers when they are servicing cars etc. Prescription deliveries is a good 'un as well. I know people who have done these tasks for a few quid in later life.
Cheers. I'll try and remember that. Whether I do is another matter.......

And the older generation wonder why unemployment in 18-25 year olds is at an all time high. Attitudes like yours about young people are sad really.
The older generation were constantly sick with the drink when they were young ynar. Been there done that....

Last edited:
Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.
Applied for a few jobs with either a quick knock back or no reply at all.

Is 56 too old?
Given the choice between a 26 or a 56 year old I'd choose to employ the 56 year old gadgie (providing the wife is a WAD)

My dad had agencies, firms and lads ringing him up into his mid 70s! He doesn't look his age and when firms were recruiting through word of mouth lads would mention him knowing he was a hungry so and so not realising how old he was. Mind you time flies anarl so they could be forgiven.
From what he tells me I think he's got a part time job attending funerals these days.

Cheers. I'll try and remember that. Whether I do is another matter.......

The older generation were constantly sick with the drink when they were young ynar. Been there done that....
Nah you're wrong mate, the older generation worked down the pit and wrestled with thatchers hounds and never missed a day of work. The younguns are just sub human scum from what I've heard for not working despite there being a lack of jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back