56 and on the scrapheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
uber

Support Worker (It's in a challenging behaviour unit in Newcastle) Young adults with behavioural problems, autism etc. Very rewarding work actually.

looking in to this now actually, live in though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.
Applied for a few jobs with either a quick knock back or no reply at all.

Is 56 too old?
Should have stuck in at school;)

If you fancy a change of career they are always recruiting at my place of work. A fair few older lads work there. (I am 59 this year).
they do live in then ?? loads of these jobs about & im wondering why tbh, 53 too old ? no experience ?

My Dad got a job when he retired delivering prescriptions for a chemist. They liked taking on older people are most of the customers are old people. That might be worth a look if you fancy it.

Aareet Zsu-zsu? Did you take over the building and loan when he retired?

they do live in then ?? loads of these jobs about & im wondering why tbh, 53 too old ?

No, we have night staff. The unit is covered 24/7. Some places do have sleep-overs though. A lot of places prefer mature staff. The oldest lad working there is 63.

My Dad got a job when he retired delivering prescriptions for a chemist. They liked taking on older people are most of the customers are old people. That might be worth a look if you fancy it.

aye it all depends what kind of job you're going for.

like alot of things in life, know your audience, or whatever the saying is.

if you're 56 and applying for jobs in clothes shops or trendy bars then you'd expect knockbacks but there's plenty of jobs out there for people willing to work whatever their age

Electrical Technician you say? Maintenance Tech? If so you should be able to find work pretty easily in that field, might involve shifts though.

Just had some agency on the blower offering me some welding work.
I'm 57 in May, but now happily retired.
So if you've got what people want, then age seems to be no problem.

I had an agency on the phone last week (twice) asking if I'd be interested in lecturing Accountacy students at Bristol Uni.

I have no experience in lecturing, no background or qualifications in Accountancy or finance and I live in Yorkshire. They had my cv in front of them.

Age didn't seem to be an issue like.

At 61 the seemingly ever nearer prospect of redundancy just before I'd be seeking to maximise my pension fund is a terrifying reality.

My autumn career years are brightened by maximised experience and effectiveness and blighted by increasing insecurity
Have you been at the company long? A redundancy can be a very cost effective top-up of pension. You would also be able to take 25% lumps sum out immediately.

The CSEs give the game away though.
In Latin, Blacksmith Studies and Flint Napping

Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.
Applied for a few jobs with either a quick knock back or no reply at all.

Is 56 too old?
If it helps, I took on a 59 year old bloke today. Straight after the interview I offered him the position there and then. Age doesn't mean anything.
At my last place we took on a 68 year old who come out retirement, he said in the interview he was bored and didn't wanna rot away in an armchair

If it helps, I took on a 59 year old bloke today. Straight after the interview I offered him the position there and then. Age doesn't mean anything.
At my last place we took on a 68 year old who come out retirement, he said in the interview he was bored and didn't wanna rot away in an armchair
The 59 year old could still work for at least another 6 years and could contribute a lot. Companies should retain experienced staff to train apprentices. Even in IT there is a lot to learn from people who know the tricks of the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back