56 and on the scrapheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consettsafc

Striker
Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.
Applied for a few jobs with either a quick knock back or no reply at all.

Is 56 too old?

Just returned back to the UK and looking for a bit of temporary/agency work after I get our lasses business up and running.

Is 56 too old?

you don't have to put your DOB when applying to be honest mate so they wouldn't know your age..

I think they can pretty much guess my age when they look at when I got my qualifications.

Haha fair point, but again you don't have to put dates mate, grades are sufficient.

They could then guess by dates of previous jobs of course...

But short answer is, no, not too old at all. Well, of course depending on the job you are going for!

Just keep applying, it's dog eat dog and a lot of agencies are useless but eventually something will come up.

Is 56 too old?
Try the agencies - that's what I had to do at the age of 45+ :lol: after being made redundant. Brook Street and Reed have contracts with NHS and the Big Lottery Fund. I've got a permanent job (which I hate) but at least they give the middle aged a chance. Also look at the Vonne (voluntary organisations NE) website for jobs. I got a canny PT one from there. Good luck!

I imagine its to do with the amount of competition you could be up against in the NE as much as anything.

56 is bugger all
Aye, I went back to the North East when I was something like 32 and couldn't get anything either. It's hard up there and the recruiters are thick, so I found that unless you have specific experience they won't entertain you for your transferable skills.

At 61 the seemingly ever nearer prospect of redundancy just before I'd be seeking to maximise my pension fund is a terrifying reality.

My autumn career years are brightened by maximised experience and effectiveness and blighted by increasing insecurity

Is 56 too old?
immigrant benefit scrounger eh

only jesting

Just had some agency on the blower offering me some welding work.
I'm 57 in May, but now happily retired.
So if you've got what people want, then age seems to be no problem.

My Dad got a job when he retired delivering prescriptions for a chemist. They liked taking on older people are most of the customers are old people. That might be worth a look if you fancy it.
More information please, just bought my own van as well.

Is 56 too old?
For selling shots from the hip in town ? yes

My Dad got a job when he retired delivering prescriptions for a chemist. They liked taking on older people are most of the customers are old people. That might be worth a look if you fancy it.
Has your dad got a massive dog?

I know a retired bloke with a massive dog who delivers prescriptions.

Is 56 too old?

Nah, it's not too old. That's how it works for most people at the minute. My Uncle was suspecting this (at 57) but ended up with two offers at same time. Just got to keep at it and not let the set backs piss you off too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back