2015 Cycling thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often quite decent complete bikes go on ebay for surprisingly little - must be due to limited demand (although conversely genuine quality old frames suitable for conversion are getting expensive now). Don't know if this would fit you, but would be a sound bike.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surly-Ste...095146?hash=item4d39f8e6ea:g:Jm4AAOSwo0JWI8~D
Don't know what he means by track wheels like, cos they're not.
Completely forgot about it and it went for £125!!! FFS.

I've messaged him offering him £150+pp if he can wangle his way out of the sale like. Hashtag bastard.

I almost impulse bought this on Saturday - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/track-2015-singlespeed-bike-ec072760

Oh aye, and I had my first proper road ride out up here the other day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/420004874

Went over the Crow and Tak Ma Doon roads. Both not as bad as everyone made out. Scotch poufs.

All in the little ring because my 50t big ring decided it would enjoy life that little bit more if it was to become a 43t.

Last edited:

Completely forgot about it and it went for £125!!! FFS.
Yep - it would have been a good buy that one. I'm not surprised either. I just think that sometimes there aren't many interested buyers for fixed gear bikes. They often go for far less than the cost of building one up of similar quality out of old bits. If I needed a new one I think I would try to hold out for summat good appearing on ebay. In my opinion it's always best to get decent quality, even if old, rather than some cheap new stuff that might disappoint.

I've only ridden about 150 miles this year, and just came up with a daft idea of trying to complete 10k miles in 2016. Is it really a silly thing to attempt or completing reasonable? I mean it's average of 27.something miles per day...

Could always attempt it for charity or something.

I've only ridden about 150 miles this year, and just came up with a daft idea of trying to complete 10k miles in 2016. Is it really a silly thing to attempt or completing reasonable? I mean it's average of 27.something miles per day...

quite doable...
I'm probably going to hit about 9000 this year, and that's on about 10 hrs a week.
So with a few longer rides each weekend and some shorter riding during the week entirely possible.

I'd build up slowly mind given the little mileage you have done this year.

Another factor will be if you are the type who will get out in the cold/wet over winter ?

good luck

quite doable...
I'm probably going to hit about 9000 this year, and that's on about 10 hrs a week.
So with a few longer rides each weekend and some shorter riding during the week entirely possible.

I'd build up slowly mind given the little mileage you have done this year.

Another factor will be if you are the type who will get out in the cold/wet over winter ?

good luck

Well I'm starting a course with work next week that will take me to March, and will be working shorter days than I am currently so looking to start getting some miles in and can build up a bit for the new year, probably start with a couple of 20 milers or so a week and build up from there to start longer rides from January. They changed the shifts at work as well for a couple of months, if they are still on what they've changed to when I go back I'll be on 4 day weeks so will have a chance to catch up extra miles then as well. It's obviously going to be a tough challenge but then it wouldn't be a challenge itf it was easy...

What about commuting ?
An "easy" way to get midweek miles in.

Certainly any sudden increase will probably hit your knees first , so as you say build up.
Not easy mind but as you say wouldn't be a challenge if it was

I'd say it's relatively easily doable but will kill any real interest in cycling. Can I suggest maybe trying to cycle 200 times in the year, then you can choose between easy rides, commutes and long rides depending on how you feel but still with the pressure of doing something.

So that is me fully track accredited. We only did two races (2nd and 3rd :lol:) because some people still can't ride in a group safely. But they can now race. Mint.

Just got my new skewer so I can set up my turbo and try out Trainer Road. Found out my speed sensor doesn't work though. :( Any suggestions on speed and cadence sensors that won't break too easily?

Just got my new skewer so I can set up my turbo and try out Trainer Road. Found out my speed sensor doesn't work though. :( Any suggestions on speed and cadence sensors that won't break too easily?

Got a garmin ?
Speed sensor etc seems to work ok
Been using for years on turbo bije

I have. Just noticed its kaput when I put it on the turbo
Even tried a new battery in the sensor.

What do you mean by kaput ?

Maybe just putting out that much power you've Knacked it
clear.png
clear.png

Had a couple spare not that long ago but gave them away

Status
Not open for further replies.