“There is a very strong chance Juan will be here with me”

I think we'll get back to the championship quite quickly. The difficulty will arise in making the transformation from championship to regular top-flight side; something that we've struggled with since the 1950s.

Ellis Shirt invested/wasted £200 million on SAFC, I doubt we'll see the likes again at our club in my lifetime.

We were always playing catch up since about 2003. All the money was to shore up existing debt, stop a decline and make up for previous transfer mistakes. It meant that the jumps in Sky money never helped us. What we need now is to do a Burnley, where the big injection of Sky money is like a lottery win.

But you're absolutely right, what we need is to strengthen everywhere, on and off the field, so that we punch above our weight. We've been punching below our weight

We were always playing catch up since about 2003. All the money was to shore up existing debt, stop a decline and make up for previous transfer mistakes. It meant that the jumps in Sky money never helped us. What we need now is to do a Burnley, where the big injection of Sky money is like a lottery win.

But you're absolutely right, what we need is to strengthen everywhere, on and off the field, so that we punch above our weight. We've been punching below our weight
I think you could describe it as more punching ourselves in the face.

Oxford United fan Stewart Donald: Why I couldn't say no to Sunderland | Witney Gazette

Sounds promising then, said he got us for pretty much what it was going to cost to buy Oxford the ground etc so he got a canny deal.
Very good news indeed.

Its obvious Mr Donald and Mr Methven have very good connections. Mr Methven's links with Ellis Short obviosly paved the way for this takeover. They mix in the right circles.

Funny enough if Mr Donald had stayed in the NE this weekend he would have had a good of tan as being in Monaco. :)

Are club owners able to take money out of a club whenever they want if they are the owner/ main shareholder or can they only make money when they sell the club? Just in general I mean and not in Sunderlands case. Say if someone bought a club in the championship for 60m and got them to the PL and are then worth 200m, how and when do they make there l money?

I assume owners can't just take out money as it all has to add up on the balance sheet? So is it just a case of when the clubs sold they will make a huge profit?

Also in the case of Man City and clubs with rich owners how are the big transfers funded? Can the owner just put in 50m of his own money at any time to buy a player or does it all have to go through certain channels for the accounts?

There's multi billionaires owning some clubs for whom spending 500m would be like spare change yet that type of spending never happens, due to rules I assume. So there must be ways round it to put large money in the correct way over a number of years?

If a club has what's known as distributable reserves (bascially accumulated profits), it can pay dividends up to the amount of those reserves. Otherwise, if the shareholders are also directors, they can pay themselves a salary, or charge interest on any loans they make. However, the real money comes from selling the shares at a profit. So far as putting money in is concerned, that's usually done by creating new shares, or buy making loans to the club.

The reason you don't huge amounts of cash going in regularly is that most billionaires simply don't have that kind of cash. Most of their wealth is tied up in the value of companies and properties which can't easily be turned into cash either. There are exceptions to this, of course (like the Mansours), but for say Short, Ashley. Coates, Lansdown, etc, the cash simply isn't there.

If a club has what's known as distributable reserves (bascially accumulated profits), it can pay dividends up to the amount of those reserves. Otherwise, if the shareholders are also directors, they can pay themselves a salary, or charge interest on any loans they make. However, the real money comes from selling the shares at a profit. So far as putting money in is concerned, that's usually done by creating new shares, or buy making loans to the club.

The reason you don't huge amounts of cash going in regularly is that most billionaires simply don't have that kind of cash. Most of their wealth is tied up in the value of companies and properties which can't easily be turned into cash either. There are exceptions to this, of course (like the Mansours), but for say Short, Ashley. Coates, Lansdown, etc, the cash simply isn't there.

Thanks. I kind of get that. Do enjoy reading your financial posts. Wanting to do accountancy after I leave the forces but reading your posts makes it seem a lot harder than I imagined!

Is that why Donald hasnt got lots of readies available on tap?

I think their lasses dad owns Monaco FC and one of the big auction houses like Sotheby’s or Christie’s or Bonhams. Plus one of the high end fashion labels. Also has iirc the most valuable privately owned art collection in the world. Imagine him getting on board if we start going places:lol:. Nivver happen
Would certainly silence the mag assertion that Mr. Donald is a penniless chancer, a view which prevails in and around my home patch (Gosforth).
The pace and order of this takeover has them reassessing the threat :lol:

Is that why Donald hasnt got lots of readies available on tap?

Nobody bar an oil sheikh has megabucks on tap, Steve Lansdown, the owner of Bristol City, has a net worth of around £4bn. He was quoted in an interview as saying he never had liquid funds of more than £40m. OK, that's a big number, but it's nowt in the context of his wealth.

Would certainly silence the mag assertion that Mr. Donald is a penniless chancer, a view which prevails in and around my home patch (Gosforth).
The pace and order of this takeover has them reassessing the threat :lol:
2 owners who are football men and restructuring apace with money men waiting in the background to invest. All we need now is a team to be proud of and we have lift off. :cool:

The Kassam stadium wasn't owned by Oxford or the owner it was / is owned by former chairman Firoz Kassam. In 2006 he valued it at £13M.

Kassam Stadium - Wikipedia

Both Donald and Methven have no emotional attachment to Sunderland. They are 'buying' a debt free club for £40M with a guaranteed off field income of £49M in parachute payments (£35M this season, £14M next).

They are here to make money as well as for the ride. The good news is that the only way they will make money is to have a successful team on and off the pitch.

Until we get under their skin like many before them

Back