World of Warcaft - Warlords of Draenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

For all you World of Warcraft players, what is the appeal? Not having a go or anything, just wanting to know what is special about it.

I bought a subscription last year and played it for a few days and it just seems old graphically and a typical mmo where you go here, kill that, collect loot....go here, kill that, collect loot...*rinse and repeat*

What gives World of Warcraft the edge over other similar games? Especially given its subscription model compared to others like Guild Wars, Diablo etc where you pay one fee and that's all you pay (unless an expansion comes out).

There is also NeverWinter which is completely free. Why WoW?

For all you World of Warcraft players, what is the appeal? Not having a go or anything, just wanting to know what is special about it.

I bought a subscription last year and played it for a few days and it just seems old graphically and a typical mmo where you go here, kill that, collect loot....go here, kill that, collect loot...*rinse and repeat*

What gives World of Warcraft the edge over other similar games? Especially given its subscription model compared to others like Guild Wars, Diablo etc where you pay one fee and that's all you pay (unless an expansion comes out).

I think WoW was the first one that really got it right for MMOs (oviously there were others like EQ) hence its popularity. I also think that its basically still trading on its lore and the nostalgia value from 10 years of subscriptions etc...

As you mentioned, its very generic these days once you've played the likes of GuidWars 2, Rift and Wildstar etc...

The problem with WoW (and most MMO's i guess - only played SWTOR as an alternative) is that everything is set for endgame content and unfortunately to get their you have to grind multiple levels, the only way to do this is via Dungeons (which gets boring fast), PvP (which you either love or hate) or questing (and you're right, all the quests are a variation of kill x, loot y, or fedex quests)

this is why most people who try the game give it up at the end of the trial (or after only a short period) because they do 20 or 30 levels of this and think 'sod that for another 60 or 70 levels' when if they stick it out they'd find the game has much more to offer at max level.

Took a break from WoW xmas before last, got SWTOR when it was first released and played it for 3 weeks and once the appeal of 'ooh lightsabers' ran out it was a pretty poor game (although graphically much better than Wow). Tried it again a few months back (now its Free to play) and if anything its worse, fewer players than before and all the good stuff is behind the paywall so i felt like a second class player. Lasted about 2 weeks this time before back to WoW

well thats a change i was'nt aware of, were'nt they not going to have trinkets in the loot tables for lfr to force people into flex (or normal, or whatever they want to bloody call it nowadays)

You can't get Tier sets in LFR, that's what they're hoping people will move into Normal/Heroic for rather than purely playing LFR.

I'm already safely predicting WoD will be the worst expansion ever but I'll still play it because of the lads I play with - I play with a bunch of Mags, we play to a very high level but all we do is run LFR's, chat over Skype and get pissed with a half litre Vodka its all very relaxing :) Then all it takes is 1 guy in Raid Chat who takes the game far too seriously and the whole thing becomes a howl.

MMO is a dead genre, WildStar had everything an MMO needed but they've peaked at 3 mil subs and have had to start merging servers, inevitably eventually going to f2p.

The problem with WoW (and most MMO's i guess - only played SWTOR as an alternative) is that everything is set for endgame content and unfortunately to get their you have to grind multiple levels, the only way to do this is via Dungeons (which gets boring fast), PvP (which you either love or hate) or questing (and you're right, all the quests are a variation of kill x, loot y, or fedex quests)

this is why most people who try the game give it up at the end of the trial (or after only a short period) because they do 20 or 30 levels of this and think 'sod that for another 60 or 70 levels' when if they stick it out they'd find the game has much more to offer at max level.

Took a break from WoW xmas before last, got SWTOR when it was first released and played it for 3 weeks and once the appeal of 'ooh lightsabers' ran out it was a pretty poor game (although graphically much better than Wow). Tried it again a few months back (now its Free to play) and if anything its worse, fewer players than before and all the good stuff is behind the paywall so i felt like a second class player. Lasted about 2 weeks this time before back to WoW
That is my issue too I think.

I don't have time to level my character first, I want instant entertainment and its impossible to get that with WoW. With having work, a kid, studying, watching TV etc every second of gaming needs to be fun. I just didn't get that with WoW and moved on.

I'm already safely predicting WoD will be the worst expansion ever but I'll still play it because of the lads I play with - I play with a bunch of Mags, we play to a very high level but all we do is run LFR's, chat over Skype and get pissed with a half litre Vodka its all very relaxing :) Then all it takes is 1 guy in Raid Chat who takes the game far too seriously and the whole thing becomes a howl.
MMO is a dead genre, WildStar had everything an MMO needed but they've peaked at 3 mil subs and have had to start merging servers, inevitably eventually going to f2p.

If I was doing it together in a Skype group it would be different cos its more about the social aspect. On that note though, I noticed PC gamers don't talk with a mic anywhere near as much as console do. I guess its because everyone has a keyboard at the ready but I have never understood that in team games where communication will help massively.

I don't have time to level my character first, I want instant entertainment and its impossible to get that with WoW. With having work, a kid, studying, watching TV etc every second of gaming needs to be fun. I just didn't get that with WoW and moved on.

If I was doing it together in a Skype group it would be different cos its more about the social aspect. On that note though, I noticed PC gamers don't talk with a mic anywhere near as much as console do. I guess its because everyone has a keyboard at the ready but I have never understood that in team games where communication will help massively.

PC gamers will be using stuff like Ventrilo and Mumble because in game chat is usually horrific quality.

I think the best advice i can give to someone who wants to try WoW is to try it with a friend (either 2 newbies or someone who already plays and wants to level an alt). As for voicecoms i think it depends on the people. Most people will only use vent/muble/ts for raids but some guilds use it all the time whenever they'r elogged on

But that's what me and my lads are about. I've ran a guild back in WOTLK where we were top 50 worldwide, it was great and all that but our social lifes were literally non-existent so we sacked it off - Now we have jobs, sometimes gan on the lash, we meetup online on a Wednesday and Sunday to do as said before - Just because we play less doesn't make us any shitter at the game, we just prefer the more laid back approach to the game.

I see i was half-right, LFR items wont have proper tier bonuses like normal, heroic, mythic but will have set bonuses like the old BC item sets

Going for the loremaster achieve recently like. What a f***ing ball ache.
Also been cleaving through achieves and old raids aswell.

Going for the loremaster achieve recently like. What a f***ing ball ache.
Also been cleaving through achieves and old raids aswell.
Never bothered achievement hunting unless there was a mount from it, I have tried a few of the older raids I never bothered with before to see if I get lucky with decent transmog gear to sell

Never bothered achievement hunting unless there was a mount from it, I have tried a few of the older raids I never bothered with before to see if I get lucky with decent transmog gear to sell
Yeah been doing that too, going for the remnants of Dragonsoul and ICC 10 that I havent got later on.

2 weeks and 2 hours until release.

I'll be doing an all-nighter as I'm away in Glasgow for the Ireland vs Scotland match the following day, shit timing but outta my hands.

2 weeks and 2 hours until release.

I'll be doing an all-nighter as I'm away in Glasgow for the Ireland vs Scotland match the following day, shit timing but outta my hands.
I've put a week and a half annual leave in for it :cool:

Still struggling with what class to play, thinking resto + ele shammy.

I've put a week and a half annual leave in for it :cool:

Still struggling with what class to play, thinking resto + ele shammy.

Just gotta look at the upside and think the Starting Zone will be alot emptier when I return from getting smashed with the Irish ;)

I've played a Shaman since Vanilla, it currently has a massive 790 days /played, which is like over 10,000 hours - it's not something to put on my CV. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back