Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He was excellent but Pat Jennings, Packie Bonner and Neville Southall were all better, granted all at different stages in their careers at the time.

Jennings was brilliant earlier, Southall for a maximum of two seasons, bonner wasnt in the same league. Pat bonner had a really good spell for Ireland when they went through a purple patch, but he wasnt actually that good.

Was shit at saving penalties.

Agree with this, he just seemed to fall over in slow motion, unless that was the replay I was watching

The fact th that Beasant was even in the squad tells everyone that despite the thought being England had quality keepers back then, they actually didn't .
Chris woods wasnt great either and David Seaman iirc was left out for Beasant - dont think anyone was that convinced by him at that point either. Off the top of my head sutton at forest and hodge at sheff wed were decent and martyn had just moved to palace, lukic was on the way out at arsenal and orgizivoc was ordinary at Coventry - as much as shilts was a little bit past his best, some effort had been put into blooding both woods who hadnt took his chance and Gary Bailey at man utd who had retired, so naturally shilts stayed on.

I thought Gary Bailey was South African?

Last edited:
No. Well, to be accurate, I could but I won't. Scottish I'm not. Born in Sunderland, lived in Farra then Millfield til I was 21. I used to think Fatfield was a long way away. It isn't and I know that now. I led a sheltered life with a narrow outlook til I left Sunderland for the smoke. Looks like you still do....and you can't spell (unt, you (unt.
So I'm a (unt because I live in the north east?

Brilliant keeper, cloughie thought so too

Italia 90 might have been 1 tournament too far mind, definitely would have put a new keeper in for the shoot out.

At least as good as the red nose Dane

We were down by then though weren't we

All the young uns hoyed in

Rowell Elliott etc

Tailed off points wise then from February onwards Sunderland were second in the form table only to the eventual European champions Liverpool-sad to say I had to wait for reidys team before I saw anything remotely as entertaining as those few months again.

Best English keeper I ever saw.Should have played far more times for England but Clemence played for media darlings Liverpool at the same time so he often got played ahead of Shilton.
The game against Derby at Roker where they beat us 1 0 but Shilton made save after save is up there with the Bosnich performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back