Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Italia '90 team, the weakest player was by far the keeper. Was Shilton ever any good or was he just finished by this time?

Fantastic keeper. Not just a shot-stopper but all-round presence. Mag mate of mine still recalls the most amazing performance by him back in the day when he was beyond Superman. Bear in mind his record caps haul of 125 could have added Clem's 61 caps! - edited to add Ray Clemence shared goalkeeping duties with him between 1972 and 1984 when he got 61 caps.

Shilton had the jersey to himself after then.

Great keeper but at Italia 90 I wonder if it had been a younger keeper in goal they would have been able to move there feet quicker and tip that deflected freekick over the bar I guess we will never know .Saying that Shilts was probs the best keeper I saw if not defo in the top 3 .

Great keeper but at Italia 90 I wonder if it had been a younger keeper in goal they would have been able to move there feet quicker and tip that deflected freekick over the bar I guess we will never know .Saying that Shilts was probs the best keeper I saw if not defo in the top 3 .
Nail on head

deflected you nugget

A younger keeper wouldn't of got to it

I dont know why the OP is getting so much shit. Shilton was f***ing woeful in Italia 90, our weakest link. No danger of him ever saving a penalty either.

By the way: The best keeper in the Tournament was Goicochea of Argentina who was their reserve, Pumpido (first choice) broke his leg in the first match so was replaced. Goicochea then went on to save 2 or 3 pens in 2 separate shoot outs, or at least save a couple of pens during patches as well as in a shoot out. Nowt ever came of him like for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back