Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great keeper in his day 2nd only to Banks for England IMO went on too long for England but doubt anyone at the time thought he wasnt the best for the job.

Always interesting to read about Shilton as he was a bit before my time.

My old man thinks he was overrated and Neville Southall was better. Said he never used to leave his line and relied on his defenders on crosses, and used to make sure they held a high line so he wouldn't come under as much pressure.

If true he reminds me of Shay Given. People were fooled into thinking he was top class because he made some great reflex saves, but failed to note that had he been any good at commanding his area he wouldn't have got himself into many of those situations in the first place. I do think Given was good in his prime fwiw, but at times he's been way overrated.

He's also unlucky that the only time we ever see him on replays these days is when he is "At fault" for us going out of two world cups in a row. I'm slightly too young to clearly remember any outstanding games.

You really only ever see banks saving from pele.

Agreed- Even if he's looking at it through emerald green eyeballs and trying to include one of his own then surely Shay Given would be better?
the emerald green eyeballs would give me a better frame of reference to his ability but that's about it, maybe because he played in Scotland there wasn't enough seen of him to back up my opinion, even though the standard was poorer in Scotland at the time he was always performing as good as shilton or southall at international level, Bonner would rate higher than Shay also,

All about opinions lads. ;)
It sure is bud, that's the beauty of it,

Went to see a sportsman dinner with Bobby Robson. Asked about his one football regret he said it was not subbing Shilton for Beasent for the pens in italia 90.

He hadnt seen Shilton save any penalty in practice

Shilton is still a good gk tho

Always interesting to read about Shilton as he was a bit before my time.

My old man thinks he was overrated and Neville Southall was better. Said he never used to leave his line and relied on his defenders on crosses, and used to make sure they held a high line so he wouldn't come under as much pressure.

If true he reminds me of Shay Given. People were fooled into thinking he was top class because he made some great reflex saves, but failed to note that had he been any good at commanding his area he wouldn't have got himself into many of those situations in the first place. I do think Given was good in his prime fwiw, but at times he's been way overrated.

Southall was better for a season or so, but that was it. He was exceptional mid 80's but never kept that form up and it never really got tested on a higher level. He gradually put more and more weight on and was never the same as earlier in his career.

the emerald green eyeballs would give me a better frame of reference to his ability but that's about it, maybe because he played in Scotland there wasn't enough seen of him to back up my opinion, even though the standard was poorer in Scotland at the time he was always performing as good as shilton or southall at international level, Bonner would rate higher than Shay also,

It sure is bud, that's the beauty of it,

But youre comparing bonner at that time, which must mean when Ireland got to tournaments, at around 88 ownwards. Which means Shilton was 38+ and bonner was in his prime. Bonner and the Ireland side at that time were quite pragmatic and playing above their abilities, bonners form in that sode was good, but lets not kid ourselves he was some kind of world class keeper.

Last edited:
:) :) Tactics like that weren't thought of back then, in fact were you even allowed a keeper on the bench ??

It was a tactic thought of then, and I thought at the time they needed to do it;)

Chris Woods was on the bench and England had only used Trevor Steven.

Why people keep banging on about Dave Beasant, I don't know. He was noton the bench.

Was Italia 90 a tournament too far, possibly (it was deffo a penalty shootout too far, guessing right but never getting anywhere near them)

Was he still the best we had at that time - most probably

Should he have been subbed for the shootout - probably, but had we made all our changes, cant remember?

But youre comparing bonner at that time, which must mean when Ireland got to tournaments, at around 88 ownwards. Which means Shilton was 38+ and bonner was in his prime. Bonner and the Ireland side at that time were quite pragmatic and playing above their abilities, bonners form in that sode was good, but lets not kid ourselves he was some kind of world class keeper.

Bonner was not even as good as Seaman in 1990 IMO

If you've slept with Tina clap your hands! And we did clap then shilts joined in :lol:
Dont remember him joining in. His autobio says he was mortified as his wife was at the game. I was main stand seats and it put him off his game, he never took it as lighthearted.

Top keeper, but his body started to let him down as he got older.
It's sad that my over riding memory of him will always be, being out jumped by the Argentinian midget (yes he cheated but he should still have won the ball).
Then falling over in slow motion (albeit the right way) in the 90 shoot out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back