Was Shilton Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuck me shilton was unbelievable I remember watching him in the 90s for Derby at the end of his career and he fantastic he was so composing even at that age
He was 40+ at the end of his career at Derby, struggling to get down for the daisy cutters but still a fantastic presence marshalling the defence and can't rememeber him ever dropping a cross. Top man, wish we had him 20 years earlier.

.. could save a shot with one eye tied behind his back, Banksy taught him that.. Class keeper, it was all about angles in them days as the ball did for the most part what it was supposed too, and his reflexes were fookin class as well ..

Well players of that era were always better than players of this era. ( see messi and maradona )

Id say shilton was probably the best goalkeeper of all time

Ridiculous amount of caps, even for a keeper who can stay at the top of their game longer an outfield players.

Also remember for a significant chunk of his career he was second fiddle to Clemence, had they not been around at the same time he would have added scores more caps.

Still, think he should have done better for the hand of God. Maradonna may have had the leap of a salmon but Shilts must have been half a foot taller.

Was Shilton ever any good or was he just finished by this time?

Yes he was a bit good. In fact he was magnificent. As was Clemence. Which explains the way the two greatest goalkeepers in the world rotated the goalkeeper positions between them for their national teams.

I dont know why the OP is getting so much shit. Shilton was f***ing woeful in Italia 90, our weakest link. No danger of him ever saving a penalty either.

By the way: The best keeper in the Tournament was Goicochea of Argentina who was their reserve, Pumpido (first choice) broke his leg in the first match so was replaced. Goicochea then went on to save 2 or 3 pens in 2 separate shoot outs, or at least save a couple of pens during patches as well as in a shoot out. Nowt ever came of him like for some reason.

What a nugget you are
Best keeper england have ever produced, and we would not have got to the semis had it not been for two great one on one saves against the cameroons. Not had a better keeper since

He was 40+ at the end of his career at Derby, struggling to get down for the daisy cutters but still a fantastic presence marshalling the defence and can't rememeber him ever dropping a cross. Top man, wish we had him 20 years earlier.
One the best mate apart from schmeichel he was the best keeper I saw live

He cost us the semi final in 90 very poor positioning for German free kick

That still makes me cringe now

Then the penalties

Was past it be 1990 but was still a cracking goalie in his heyday

Clough went all in to get him for Forest recognising that he was the best of the best ( and then he won the lot )

Dave Beasant should definitely have been put in for the penalties in 1990. He was a great wind up and a very good penalty stopper.

The fact th that Beasant was even in the squad tells everyone that despite the thought being England had quality keepers back then, they actually didn't .
Chris woods wasnt great either and David Seaman iirc was left out for Beasant - dont think anyone was that convinced by him at that point either. Off the top of my head sutton at forest and hodge at sheff wed were decent and martyn had just moved to palace, lukic was on the way out at arsenal and orgizivoc was ordinary at Coventry - as much as shilts was a little bit past his best, some effort had been put into blooding both woods who hadnt took his chance and Gary Bailey at man utd who had retired, so naturally shilts stayed on.

Two things astonish me about this thread
1 That the op needs to ask the question ~ one look at wikipedia would have answered it
2 That people would take it seriously and demonstrate the Shilton was indeed fairly decent.

Think I'll start a thread about Pele ~ was he any good? Just to see how many replies I get.
Can you plz change your avatar? Its scaring me now. You Scottish kernt

Can you plz change your avatar? Its scaring me now. You Scottish kernt
No. Well, to be accurate, I could but I won't. Scottish I'm not. Born in Sunderland, lived in Farra then Millfield til I was 21. I used to think Fatfield was a long way away. It isn't and I know that now. I led a sheltered life with a narrow outlook til I left Sunderland for the smoke. Looks like you still do....and you can't spell (unt, you (unt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back