The battle of bath lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult comparison to make given sunderland have been in the lower leagues a lot since the 80's.
I would be devastated if we ever broke newcastle's 7,000 record or they broke our 76,000 record though.

But 76000 was in a cup game and you won't count the 3764? Double standards methinks.

Who has the lowest and highest top flight average, since that's your true barometer?

Difficult comparison to make given sunderland have been in the lower leagues a lot since the 80's.
I would be devastated if we ever broke newcastle's 7,000 record or they broke our 76,000 record though.

Err we have!

The Wrexham game was played the day of the general election and was played during working hours IIRC.

Most clubs have a few skeletons in the cupboard your own included, we're not alone. We are the 5th and 10th best supported clubs in history respectively despite years and years of mainly shit.....I think the attendances for both clubs are incredible in all honesty.

Wrong on both counts.

The election was on May 3rd and the Wrexham game on the 8th was a normal mid-week evening KO time.

Miss print. Those data sheets are like wikipedia. It doesn't take long for things to become fact after the initial error.

That's got to hurt.

Skeletons in the cupboard you say Piston?

Not really, those data sheets are often very inaccurate, just like wikipedia. They're manually typed in and most of the information isn't available like modern games so they often just fill the blanks.
I searched for some stuff myself and found many things to be completely untrue, some to do with myself.

Last edited:
Miss print. Those data sheets are like wikipedia. It doesn't take long for things to become fact after the initial error.

I had this pamphlet thing for the 80's which also mentioned it and why it was so low..

Does this mean the Derby attendance was misprint as well 65,000?

Not really, those data sheets are often very inaccurate, just like wikipedia. They're manually typed in and most of the information isn't available like modern games so they often just fill the blanks.
I searched for some stuff myself and found many things to be completely untrue, some to do with myself.

Got to admire your dedication.

A typical (and comical) example of newcastle fans re-writing history.

Bless 'em :lol:.

Have a word with your mate then, he's in complete denial about the record breaker.

Priceless.

Last edited:
I had this pamphlet thing for the 80's which also mentioned it and why it was so low..

Does this mean the Derby attendance was misprint as well 65,000?

If it came from original official sources then i'd be more likely to believe it. People fall into the danger of believing those websites with the fancy data sheets were filled in at the time which is obviously bollocks. They were probably filled in by students on minimum wage who had to log in thousands of bits of data for every club for over a century, many of the sources were dubious to start with.
Just like wikipedia is updated by individuals they can often get things wrong or deliberately update duff info for a laugh.

I once wikipedia'd two quite famous ex team mates. Their careers were both listed in what you'd think would be forensic detail and much of it was. All apart from the team we played in together was completely missed out for both of them. There were even player stats for a different team in the seasons they played with me. All completely wrong, but if you didn't know you'd believe it to be true, all the pages were lovely colours etc.
As i said, any information on the internet is only as good as the source and the people who updated it.

The Wrexham game was played the day of the general election and was played during working hours IIRC.

Haway man - you can do better than that!

The story I heard was that it was actually a secret, behind-closed-doors game played at 11am on the week-day morning and 7,134 loyal geordies somehow found out about it, rushed to the ground, scaled the 30ft high walls and climbed over the barbed wire to get into the ground and demanded the club take their money.

Surely that is the only plausible explanation for the attendance?

Same thing must have happened at the earlier game against Wrexham in March when the attendance was 7,152...

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back