The battle of bath lane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody I'd know ? I was from Castletown and can remember one lad was known for carrying knives. He came to a rather fitting end shall we say ?
That particular castletown mob weren't match people.

Every housing estate has a "mob" or basically a gang of lads who go about together... and end up battling other similar mobs

Aye. Estate wars, School wars etc.

Exactly this. You may remember when Silky pit was still rubble in the mid 70's, there were battles between Silky and Plainsy regularly. As an unsuspecting youngin that is when i copped my first air rifle pellet in me leg from a Plainsy sniper. It then moved on to Silky V Doxy for a time too.

Yes bath lane made the front page of the local media mainly down to the numbers involved,shit like this happened at every away game back then maybe it was a van load or coach load involved but it was an accepted risk if you were not on supporters buses.

Bath lane was no where near as scary as earls court tube station or most london games if you were in the vicinity of kings cross at closing time.

Remember lots of grief every time you went to liverpool, Man city was a worrying place always grief at Leeds you went to very few away games without bumping into someone who had been getting grief, normally a case of going into the wrong boozer these things happened before mobile phones and cctv when the polis didn`t really give a toss and the deterants were a £50 fine for breach of the peace or drunk & disorderly.

Exactly this. You may remember when Silky pit was still rubble in the mid 70's, there were battles between Silky and Plainsy regularly. As an unsuspecting youngin that is when i copped my first air rifle pellet in me leg from a Plainsy sniper. It then moved on to Silky V Doxy for a time too.

who was the toughest estate in sland? Redhouse always seemed rough...I wonder if the best of the north would take the best of the south sunderland?

who was the toughest estate in sland? Redhouse always seemed rough...I wonder if the best of the north would take the best of the south sunderland?

Its funny you should say that but in the 70's when it came to school wise, then the 3 main nut houses were Ryhope, Thorney & Pennywell south of the river. The north side of the river didn't feature. The measure of this was via the fracas that happened when the sports teams played each other. From an estate perspective it really would be a tough one to call but Thorney Close, Pennywell and Ford were a bit mental on the south side..

Boldon Blackie, what the ferk is one of them?, knocked fuck out of HCAB many a time haha

You mentioned you were from Boldon , you should remember the the kids home on Dipe Lane , in that home there was two black lads , Colin ? And another who's name escapes me.

The lads who knocked around the Bog Seat used to go over to Downhill / TEF / Hylton Castle and terrorise the locals included in that group were the two black lads from the kids home.

My cousins lived in TEF and they used to shit themselves when the Boldon Lads came over the hill especially when the Boldon Blackies came over.

Remember this was over 40 years ago when there wasn't many blacks in the north east at the time.

Yes bath lane made the front page of the local media mainly down to the numbers involved,shit like this happened at every away game back then maybe it was a van load or coach load involved but it was an accepted risk if you were not on supporters buses.

Bath lane was no where near as scary as earls court tube station or most london games if you were in the vicinity of kings cross at closing time.

Remember lots of grief every time you went to liverpool, Man city was a worrying place always grief at Leeds you went to very few away games without bumping into someone who had been getting grief, normally a case of going into the wrong boozer these things happened before mobile phones and cctv when the polis didn`t really give a toss and the deterants were a £50 fine for breach of the peace or drunk & disorderly.
Brilliant times though all the same. I certainly grew up very fast watching SAFC home and away in the 70's.

Its funny you should say that but in the 70's when it came to school wise, then the 3 main nut houses were Ryhope, Thorney & Pennywell south of the river. The north side of the river didn't feature. The measure of this was via the fracas that happened when the sports teams played each other. From an estate perspective it really would be a tough one to call but Thorney Close, Pennywell and Ford were a bit mental on the south side..
East end/Garths were rough as fuck....Barclay court was as well.
No one of my school mates from other areas would come down the east end.

You mentioned you were from Boldon , you should remember the the kids home on Dipe Lane , in that home there was two black lads , Colin ? And another who's name escapes me.

The lads who knocked around the Bog Seat used to go over to Downhill / TEF / Hylton Castle and terrorise the locals included in that group were the two black lads from the kids home.

My cousins lived in TEF and they used to shit themselves when the Boldon Lads came over the hill especially when the Boldon Blackies came over.

Remember this was over 40 years ago when there wasn't many blacks in the north east at the time.
Aye, Colin, he was a few years younger than me, remember when he started at Boldon Modern School

Castletown used to knack Redhouse and Tommy Ackers knacked Redhouse Comp ............ tho i sometimes make things up!
Boldon knacked you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back