The battle of bath lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

If it came from original official sources then i'd be more likely to believe it. People fall into the danger of believing those websites with the fancy data sheets were filled in at the time which is obviously bollocks. They were probably filled in by students on minimum wage who had to log in thousands of bits of data for every club for over a century, many of the sources were dubious to start with.
Just like wikipedia is updated by individuals they can often get things wrong or deliberately update duff info for a laugh.

I once wikipedia'd two quite famous ex team mates. Their careers were both listed in what you'd think would be forensic detail and much of it was. All apart from the team we played in together was completely missed out for both of them. There were even player stats for a different team in the seasons they played with me. All completely wrong, but if you didn't know you'd believe it to be true, all the pages were lovely colours etc.
As i said, any information on the internet is only as good as the source and the people who updated it.
Who'd you play for?

Big thumbs small phone. My point still stands

Alright, your full point is in the wrong place. :D

Seriously, I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm for discussion about the past. However, the thread sentiment from the outset was about 'celebration' which is more than a bit disappointing.

I've followed the lads and witnessed no violence at games yet stories emerged in the ground that there were many incidents of hooliganism outside.Some posters are being accused of not being at the game they are reporting on.As we get older our memories fade.I was at a testimonail at SJP,in their old corrugated main stand and in the right hand side paddock opposite where i was sitting, there were no more than a dozen in a group who got attacked for most of the game with very little police presence.I wasn't aware at the time of any other of our fans in the ground.If there were,they never made their presence known.
I was at the derby game at SJP in 1968/69 season.If we took or nearly took the Leazes,my memory has gone on this action.
I was in the Fulwell for the derby game in season 1969/70.My memories are more vivid of this game.The same goes for the battle of Bath Lane.There was one major skirmish,just down from where Big Lukes used to be.It was over in a few minutes.
My cousin lives in Chester -Le - Street and knows MBH very well.

I've followed the lads and witnessed no violence at games yet stories emerged in the ground that there were many incidents of hooliganism outside.Some posters are being accused of not being at the game they are reporting on.As we get older our memories fade.I was at a testimonail at SJP,in their old corrugated main stand and in the right hand side paddock opposite where i was sitting, there were no more than a dozen in a group who got attacked for most of the game with very little police presence.I wasn't aware at the time of any other of our fans in the ground.If there were,they never made their presence known.
I was at the derby game at SJP in 1968/69 season.If we took or nearly took the Leazes,my memory has gone on this action.
I was in the Fulwell for the derby game in season 1969/70.My memories are more vivid of this game.The same goes for the battle of Bath Lane.There was one major skirmish,just down from where Big Lukes used to be.It was over in a few minutes.
My cousin lives in Chester -Le - Street and knows MBH very well.

I like the last sentence , its as if its been added to verify the rest of his post.

I know MBH , not very well but I don't live in Chester le St.

MBH has received a lot of stick on here over the years.His heart is in the right place but he does like the attention,hence his recent controversial comments on BBC local radio.

That was ours the - Vauxies Club - there was about 3 or 4 flashpoints, the worst being outside the Magpie where a big lad behind me stopped a half-full bottle of Dog with the bridge of his nose... much worse was after mainly round that Esso garage that used to be on the corner of Westgate after the game.
Hmm, you were us then?

Care to expand on this?

My understanding at the time was that newcastle going in the Fulwell in 1970 was a direct response to Sunderland going in the leazes the previous year - but it seems to have been removed from history by our friends up the road.
Expand? Sunderland did go in the Leazes under the leadership of Ray K, yes the next game at Roker Park, mags came early and were in the Fulwell early doors but Sunderland took it back by kick off.That was the day when the weapons were thrown over the fulwell end wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back