The battle of bath lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trying to remember, sounds right like - getting old man can't remember everything like Mackemindo, plus I liked a drink too much.
Memories of that day still clear, Big Alan wasn't there that day, he was as we used to say 'courting' a lass

Care to expand on this?

My understanding at the time was that newcastle going in the Fulwell in 1970 was a direct response to Sunderland going in the leazes the previous year - but it seems to have been removed from history by our friends up the road.
Yes, Sunderland were in the Leazes in fact just about took it.They will have forgotten Big Ray K and his team terrifying the Leazes end that day and of course wont have any recollection, would have to dig up mags like Kit Kat and Doddsy to jog their memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of lads got badly bitten by the police dogs that afternoon..

Was the last time i was in St James. Used to go there a lot in the 60s with my dad. Different days, of course.

A great afternoon.

Lots of lads got badly bitten by the police dogs that afternoon..

Was the last time i was in St James. Used to go there a lot in the 60s with my dad. Different days, of course.

A great afternoon.
Which afternoon, 79 0r 69?

ah ok, both great afternoons for me, pathetic as some would say, but part of life and going to the match as it was back then, wouldn't change it.

it was pretty crazy for a few minutes but in the end not too much real harm done. Reemember that day, drinking in the Boilermakers then getting the train over to Newcastle..fun times. Amazing how the coppers disappeared from both ends of the lane after giving us an excort from the station.

it was pretty crazy for a few minutes but in the end not too much real harm done. Reemember that day, drinking in the Boilermakers then getting the train over to Newcastle..fun times. Amazing how the coppers disappeared from both ends of the lane after giving us an excort from the station.
Yes, not really as big a battle as some would make out, we ran them pretty quickly after a bit of hesitation at the petrol station.We were in the 'tiny club in a tiny street' early doors before getting the train.

Yes, not really as big a battle as some would make out, we ran them pretty quickly after a bit of hesitation at the petrol station.We were in the 'tiny club in a tiny street' early doors before getting the train.
Suppose cos there was a fair few numbers from each side. Back in those days usually (like now i would imagine) it was mainly bravado. The nasty stuff came when a couple of lads would get set upon by a mob and given a kicking. or someone would lob a brick through a coach window. Out and out brawls were few and far between, despite what revisionists would say. That came pretty close i suppose..hence it being on a website 35 years lare. i think the Sunday Sun called it that on the front page the next day as well

Suppose cos there was a fair few numbers from each side. Back in those days usually (like now i would imagine) it was mainly bravado. The nasty stuff came when a couple of lads would get set upon by a mob and given a kicking. or someone would lob a brick through a coach window. Out and out brawls were few and far between, despite what revisionists would say. That came pretty close i suppose..hence it being on a website 35 years lare. i think the Sunday Sun called it that on the front page the next day as well
Aye the press made a meal of it.Getting the coaches bricked was common and dodgy and also the running battles in London after the game, for some reason the buses always parked in a dark deserted street behind Kings Cross so you would have most of the London clubs knocking around.

Aye the press made a meal of it.Getting the coaches bricked was common and dodgy and also the running battles in London after the game, for some reason the buses always parked in a dark deserted street behind Kings Cross so you would have most of the London clubs knocking around.

Only ever got hurt twice in all those days. once at Milwall (of course) when i got him by a stone/brick and eventually needed half a dozen stitches..and the other in the stairway of Binns in sunderland after a match when a twat tried and partially succeeded in stabbing me. He was a Sunderland supporter..we both had scarves on lol. But he was also from Castletown and knew me as being from Boldon. People might find it hard to understand but the most dangerous thing in the Fulwell were rival gangs, all of the SAFC supporters

Only ever got hurt twice in all those days. once at Milwall (of course) when i got him by a stone/brick and eventually needed half a dozen stitches..and the other in the stairway of Binns in sunderland after a match when a twat tried and partially succeeded in stabbing me. He was a Sunderland supporter..we both had scarves on lol. But he was also from Castletown and knew me as being from Boldon. People might find it hard to understand but the most dangerous thing in the Fulwell were rival gangs, all of the SAFC supporters
Tell me im a Boldon lad and was at Seaburn that day when the Seaham lads went mental and Harra got his head sliced.

A Boldon Blackie ?
I am from Hylton Castle and many years ago when the bus stop was at the corner of High Street and Fawcett Street it would always kick off after the match with lads from Farringdon ,Thorney Close and Pennywell a North of Sunderland v South strange times the 70,s .

A Boldon Blackie ?
I am from Hylton Castle and many years ago when the bus stop was at the corner of High Street and Fawcett Street it would always kick off after the match with lads from Farringdon ,Thorney Close and Pennywell a North of Sunderland v South strange times the 70,s .
Boldon Blackie, what the ferk is one of them?, knocked fuck out of HCAB many a time haha

A Boldon Blackie ?
Yes they were..the whole 1970s were strange days in retrospect- , strikes, trouble, unemployment..great music though. Probably cos of the other stuff.

A Boldon Blackie ?

Aye. Estate wars, School wars etc.

Anybody I'd know ? I was from Castletown and can remember one lad was known for carrying knives. He came to a rather fitting end shall we say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back