Sunderland AFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 21st of July. The season now starts in less than a month's time and we still haven't spent any money. We' ve brought in no quality and the Borini saga will likely run on for another fortnight.

Just look at the amount of time and effort it's taking to get Borini over the line. We didn't even need to scout him or do background checks. The signing procedure alone has drawn that one out.
How much time and effort will it take to bring in another 4 Borini's from scratch, even if they're cheaper?

Have we got "personalities" at the club who can pull a few strings or is every signing going to be like pulling teeth. Those are just a few of the things i hinted on before people started to bleat on about Colback etc.
Can anyone at our club get in touch with close contacts and call in a few favours? Can we get access to desirable loan players? People in the game take decades building up their contacts list.
Our upper management don't appear to have the inside line to any "out of the box" sources of players.

To me it's the complete lack of positive energy. Before even a penny was spent Keane brought a positive energy. Keegan brought a positive energy. Quinny might've wasted a bit of money but he brought a belief.
Good new signings need something to believe in.
With regards to Borini i'd be very disappointed if we hadn't sounded him out before we started this mating ritual. I'm still hopeful we have and the deal will go ahead very soon. If not then we need to move on quickly.

Changing this number of players every year is not the way to do it. Not when we've got to chase after every single f**king one of them. There just isn't enough time to do it when you're knocking on their doors, not the other way around.
Call me pessimistic but i'm now starting to question the ability of every player who signs for us straight away and that shouldn't happen.

I can't argue with the bits in bold, it was great riding the magic carpet while it lasted but you can't really say we were in a better position then as a result of it than we are now or that we were more attractive to potential signings. Anyway, it might not quite be up there with the Quinn/Keane days but I'm pretty excited about this season under Poyet and a lot of players have indicated that his presence has been instrumental in them coming here.

You're just in a rut because Colback has gone aren't you?

I can't argue with the bits in bold, it was great riding the magic carpet while it lasted but you can't really say we were in a better position then as a result of it than we are now or that we were more attractive to potential signings. Anyway, it might not quite be up there with the Quinn/Keane days but I'm pretty excited about this season under Poyet and a lot of players have indicated that his presence has been instrumental in them coming here.

You're just in a rut because Colback has gone aren't you?

I'm not bothered about Colback but i'm concerned about repeating the same mistakes over again. We had a very lucky escape last year. I expected more urgency.

I thought Congerton was hired to prevent the kind of fuck ups which have led to this farce. The transfer looks to have been handled very poorly and thanks to a leak somewhere down the line it may not happen at all. It's only common sense to find out if the player is interested, especially if you've worked with them for a season. Why make a bid before knowing this most basic of facts? Yet here we are again, cock in hand wondering what went wrong. It's not moaning, its stating the bleeding obvious.

The people running this club need a huge shake up.
We need some personalities in there whose words have a bit of clout in the world of football. We need potential signings to be able to "buy into" the club. Not to mention the virtually non existent interface with the supporters.

This current set up is very flat, it's very grey and it's f**king clueless.
Justin Beiber for Chairman! - I'm doing the poster now.

Just look at the amount of time and effort it's taking to get Borini over the line. We didn't even need to scout him or do background checks. The signing procedure alone has drawn that one out.
How much time and effort will it take to bring in another 4 Borini's from scratch, even if they're cheaper?

Have we got "personalities" at the club who can pull a few strings or is every signing going to be like pulling teeth. Those are just a few of the things i hinted on before people started to bleat on about Colback etc.
Can anyone at our club get in touch with close contacts and call in a few favours? Can we get access to desirable loan players? People in the game take decades building up their contacts list.
Our upper management don't appear to have the inside line to any "out of the box" sources of players.

We had "personalities" like Niall Quinn and that managed to secure the big names of Greg Halford, Ian Harte and Danny Higginbotham.

Good points. We're paying 14m for the lad, negotiations can't have gone well from our end which begs the question, why wasn't this sewn up at the start of the month? Unless we had another option that fell through.

To me it's the complete lack of positive energy. Before even a penny was spent Keane brought a positive energy. Keegan brought a positive energy. Quinny might've wasted a bit of money but he brought a belief.
Good new signings need something to believe in.
With regards to Borini i'd be very disappointed if we hadn't sounded him out before we started this mating ritual. I'm still hopeful we have and the deal will go ahead very soon. If not then we need to move on quickly.

Changing this number of players every year is not the way to do it. Not when we've got to chase after every single f**king one of them. There just isn't enough time to do it when you're knocking on their doors, not the other way around.
Call me pessimistic but i'm now starting to question the ability of every player who signs for us straight away and that shouldn't happen.
Is it not possible that Borini and his agent have given the nod but on the basis that Liverpool stump up some sort of bonus that was in his contract with LFC. Maybe they are playing hardball and he doesn't feel like walking away from a number that could be 7 figures.
Seems to me you and others want to tip the bucket on the club and are painting all sorts of incompetence into the picture.
It almost seems like you are getting some sort of perverse pleasure from the signing being stretched out because it bears out the agenda you and others have been putting up as being what you believe it is.
You can suggest all you like about you harbouring doubts about the competence at the top prior to Colback's departure but your posting history since he left clearly illustrates your dismay and you haven't left off.
You were never starting threads when MoN was taking us to hell on a handcart with poor football. You never voiced your dismay at Di Canio's hiring and his subsequent firing pretty soon after. No Jack was still getting a game then. Similarly during the Poyet tenure there was barely a whimper from you w and it's hile Jack was playing.
Only when it became clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract have you arced up and it's ramped up since he left.
You don't care about Borini, You don't care about the lack of signings ( your opinion not mine ), you don't care about other teams signing more than us.
You're still peeved about Colback going and you're being, the nicest word I can use, disingenuous, about your motives for all these threads and posts

..... are by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen.

Best post on the thread.

I thought Congerton was hired to prevent the kind of fuck ups which have led to this farce. The transfer looks to have been handled very poorly and thanks to a leak somewhere down the line it may not happen at all. It's only common sense to find out if the player is interested, especially if you've worked with them for a season. Why make a bid before knowing this most basic of facts? Yet here we are again, cock in hand wondering what went wrong. It's not moaning, its stating the bleeding obvious.

Reading some of the replies on here you'd think my posts on that subject weren't basic common sense.
It's like buying the ring, booking the church, paying for the cars/catering/after party then the girl i met in a nightclub last week saying f**k off PISTON you ugly c**t, i would never marry you.:):):)

Last edited:
I'm not bothered about Colback but i'm concerned about repeating the same mistakes over again. We had a very lucky escape last year. I expected more urgency.

Every window there's the same panic about a lack of urgency or ability to get transfers completed quickly yet by the close of the window they still more or less get done. I think everyone would prefer it if new players were brought in sooner but I'm pretty certain it isn't the fault of SAFC that they aren't, it's just the way of the transfer window and every other club has the same problem.

Like all transfer deals.

We only get to hear about other clubs' transfers AFTER they happen, we don't hear about the negotiation part.

It's been done to death on here hundreds of times.

The point i'm making about high turnover of players is extremely valid. We've seen how hard it is for this lot to get one of the f**kers over the line.

Say you have 28 players in and around the first team squad. They will mostly be on 3 year contracts, sometimes 4. That means 7-9 players each year that require contracts renewing or replacing. Our problem is that we don't have a good enough core within the club, so we need even more to up the quality and or provide cover.

The 3 frees were to fill holes at around the same quality level. We have Borini, Alonso and maybe Vergini yet to sign to keep what we had last year. So with 6 signings, we have not even stood still. There are still holes to fill at CB, and we will not have replaced Ki. So now we need 8. Those two could be loaners, but need to be better than we had last year if we are to improve.

Sure there is an argument that a whole season of Gus would yield a better position than last year. But it is far from a sure thing. Since we've been promoted last time, there is only one season when we have not been in the bottom 3. Last season was diabolical in that regard. I'd like to think that the club are doing something a bit more than trusting Gus to get it right on the playing side. Investing in more quality players would demonstrate a bit of vision, given the serially bad managerial choices in the past.

We'll see come September, but I won't be surprised if I don't still believe that the management of the club is lacking in strategic understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back