Rodwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.

His biggest problem is he's always in his heels,which makes him a yard slower then say mvilla.

We were saying that he seems to missing something upstairs as, even when told by the likes of M'Vila and Cattermole, still reacts really slowly. Made an excellent goal-saving block mind so those saying play him centre half may have a point after all.

He was a big gamble for the money we paid, I suspect it may have been possible increase in value. Used the getting fit excuse for 6 months, but in reality bar the odd glimpse of something he had been largely anonymous. M'Vila must of been shagged yesterday did most of the running for the 3 of them. Suspect he wont play if Larsson comes back or only in necessity. He may do a Delph and come "good" after a couple of years but I'm not holding my breath.

Needs to have a length of time without niggling injuries. Must always be in his head that he will get injured so i think its more mental than physical when he does play.

Thought he did well yesterday, feared the worst when he came on but pleasantly surprised.

A lot of players should benefit from this two week break between games.

We were saying that he seems to missing something upstairs as, even when told by the likes of M'Vila and Cattermole, still reacts really slowly. Made an excellent goal-saving block mind so those saying play him centre half may have a point after all.

He would be an absolute disaster at centre half. If you want to see Big Sam's idea of a centre half - see Kone!

Could be right. I think he is scared of having the ball to be honest. He seems to look round for anyone else on the team to make something happen, even when he is the best/only option to make space for a pass or go for a loose ball.

It wasn't a goal saving block IMO as the replay showed it was heading straight at Mannone. I know Mannone has his faults but I'd have expected him to save it :)

The rest of the post isn't in any way pointed at you. I think the fact we won makes people more positive about players and there's nothing wrong with that. It's easy to remember the good things when we win but it's when they start saying things that didn't really happen that it's gets questionable. For some reason on here, some reckon you can't be critical if we win. If you can't be critical on a message board that really isn't hurting anyone and point out what actually happened then what does Sam do to help improve players, tell them they were f***ing class and did fuck all wrong and ignore the areas of players games that could be improved?

Some have said he put blocks in and did this and did that and barely put a foot wrong. As we won, some are ignoring the times he was his usual self, wandering about pointing and not committing when he could have that quite a few in this thread have pointed out. He made 2 blocks, not the few some on here think as he got a decent block in the 34th minute to stop a shot being taken but you'd expect any footballer to have done the same. So his 'great' moment was that 68th minute block but the replay showed it was going towards Mannone so you'd have expected him to save it. The other thing is that Mata was already his man but Rodwell switched off and lost Mata in the box after tracking him from the halfway line and he 2 yards behind him all the way as he didn't try to get ahead of him.

So aye it was a great block but it's not always as rosy when you take off the red n white specs or overlook the feel good win factor. Aye I wasn't there watching it live so I know fuck all etc etc so feel free to tell me to fuck off ;)

I'm just chuffed we won as I still may critisice players when I feel they deserve it regardless of winning or not but only when others say something I don't agree with. I just do it but it doesn't hurt anyone and I'm pretty sure Sam is still giving them shit (in a good way) once the celebrations are over. I still feel we're right in there with a good chance of staying up as it's certainly not over like quite a few on here had already conceded!

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched him for most of the game.

Apart from the block and a few simple passes he just shuffles around midfield hiding from the ball.

He wants to take a long look at his team mate Khazri who's work rate was phenomenal.

Rodwell looked disinterested to me.

Played well in one game. Needs to turn in better average performances.

Ill give the lad a chance and hope for the best, but in all honesty, given all his performances thus far.. You have to say his career with Sunderland ain't looking too hot.

Needs to have a length of time without niggling injuries. Must always be in his head that he will get injured so i think its more mental than physical when he does play.

Thought he did well yesterday, feared the worst when he came on but pleasantly surprised.

A lot of players should benefit from this two week break between games.

Has he ever suffered a serious injury? Anyone know?

I watched him for most of the game.

Apart from the block and a few simple passes he just shuffles around midfield hiding from the ball.

He wants to take a long look at his team mate Khazri who's work rate was phenomenal.

Rodwell looked disinterested to me.
Sssshush man, we won so you aren't allowed to say things like that ;) Khazri work rate was brilliant as he seems to have good stamina and pace and he chased down a few lost causes in a way Vardy does for Leicester. It makes a big difference when players bust a gut regardless and can do something with it :cool:

To be fair to Rodwell he does bust a gut now and then if you watch him rather than the ball and he also has a good touch but for whatever reason he doesn't do it as much as he should. M'Vila lost his rag with him yesterday so hopefully he will have a good word with him as will Sam so along with the feel good win factor yesterday will just show him he can make a difference in his play :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a couple of moments where he looked like a footballer, but other than that he was shit. That time when he got in their box and just kicked it out of play man :lol:

But who cares, we know he's not very good anyway and we won.

Actually, the frustration with Rodwell is borne out of the fact that anyone who saw him playing for Everton as a very young man, knows that he is a very good footballer, but that he just hasn't reached the same level of performance for us. He made his Premier League debut at 17 years of age (would that any of the much vaunted u21 players at SAFC had the ability to merit selection at such an early age) and his international debut as a 20 years old.

It may be that Rodwell will never re-capture the form of his outstanding early career. There has been a suggestion that his hamstrings did not develop proportionately with the rest of his body as he physically matured and that he is therefore always at risk of injury. Consequently, it may be that, consciously or sub-consciously, Rodwell now plays well within himself, inhibited from performing at his true best, by fear of injury.

Along with others, I would probably be happy to see Rodwell leave, because I don't think SAFC can afford the luxury of a player who can only perform at 80%, regardless of the level of their innate ability. That said, Rodwell, even limited as he seemingly is these days, is still a better option than the likes of Bridcutt, Buckley and Graham.

I thought he did OK against Man Utd. Those moaning about him only making a few easy passes, should try to remember the recent performances by the team, where a player successfully passing the ball to a fellow team-mate was so rare that it was cause for celebration. Didier Deschamps, when part of a midfield that included the talents of Zidane and Viera was disparaged by Eric Cantona as being nothing more than a 'water carrier'. Deschamps responded by pointing out that every team needs its water carriers and that he was a water carrier with two winners medals in the European Cup. If (and it is a huge 'if') Rodwell can be a consistent 'water carrier' for SAFC, performing as he did against Man Utd, then this would be more than OK with me.

If you think he had a decent game then I don't know what you're watching, there's something seriously wrong with him.

The only way I can describe it is that he plays like someone who's just been told his wife has been cheating on him and his dog has just died.

He did ok but nothing more. Find it very strange from those saying he was excellent.

Probably not the game to call him out for being shite but he is extremely immobile and sluggish when watching him

The more Rodwell is discussed, the more entrenched people's views become. It's long since gone past the point where anything remotely insightful one way or the other is revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back