Rodwell....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Rodwell is the new boo boy, had a good game yesterday. Sometimes kept it simple, probably because he's lacking confidence. Did his defensive job very well and got into good positions going forward.

Some people seem to like criticising him no matter what he does unfortunately.
untrue

It was his best showing for a while yesterday and I thought he played himself into the game better as time went on. Maybe the increased work rate in the team as a whole pulled him along. That said, despite enjoying the win fully, Rodwell for me doesn't get anywhere near the kind of impact we need him to make. He is rarely aggressive, often missed out completely by the opposition and often stays 2 yards too far away from his man making him completely in effectual. He is decent in the air but generally looks like he is in 2nd or 3rd gear. I would like to see him impose himself on opposition midfielders much much more.

Played well in one game. Needs to turn in better average performances.

Ill give the lad a chance and hope for the best, but in all honesty, given all his performances thus far.. You have to say his career with Sunderland ain't looking too hot.

"Well"? I think you're stretching it bit there mind. :D

The fact that the majority of people wouldn't select him ahead of a massively under performing Cattermole says it all for me.

"Well"? I think you're stretching it bit there mind. :D

The fact that the majority of people wouldn't select him ahead of a massively under performing Cattermole says it all for me.

I completely agree (although I didn't think he was terrible)... Lets face it, he has a history of being a bit pants.

Clean slate for every player, if we are becoming better then I'm no longer interested how anyone performs in a shite team, I want to know if they can fit in and add value to where we are going, not where we have been. Judging Rodwell on that game alone gives him some credit, and we move on...

Needs to take some time out to have a think if he wants to play football.....

Attitude is awful.

Yes his instinct is not to close down where MVila is in autopilot to do this. Its just not in him and Sunderland fell for the agent sales pitch again when approached from City.....good to know we have a man in charge now who would tell agents selling the likes of Rodwell now to get on their bike.

We were in competition with other clubs to sign him, most on here were pleased when we did. Sometimes things don't work out.

I always try to give him the benefit of the doubt and to be fair he played alright on Saturday, especially as Kirchoff's injury came early and it looked like nobody was prepared for it. We didn't even have anyone warming up.

Saying that though, there was a moment in about the 90th minute where the ball rolled into the box and he just watched it, O'Shea had to make a block then went mental at Rodwell. At the time I thought if he'd cost us the 3 points I would have taken him off and never played him again.

Regardless of the result I try to remain objective. Rodwell made one crucial block - but most of the time was behind play (physically and in thought) - I don't wish to be harsh, but facts are facts. Perhaps that is because Mata was so good - he was probably the best player on the pitch but fortunately our manager is tactically better than LVG.

INTENSITY is what he seems to lack, I loved it when M'Vila nearly had kittens when he didn't react to the loose ball just before the final whistle - it shows which one of them is ready for the fight.

I made a point of watching him on Saturday, and he's permanently off the pace, he strolls up and down the pitch following the flow of the game without actually getting involved. I think he touched the ball about 8 times in the first half hour of the second half. When he passes the ball he just seems to help it on without actually affecting the game. Yes he made a block, but most of the time he just wanders around pointing. He's a passenger and when he's on the pitch its like playing with 10 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back