Question time

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sets a dangerous precedent.

Are subsidies and tax breaks going to be offered to all companies who threaten to withdraw investment?

Is this what Brexit has achieved?

And to those saying well done to the government, were you so pleased when the last labour government bailed out certain banks including Northern Rock who were also a major North East business.

Nissan received huge subsidies long before brexit.

This is why I despise politicians at times, rather than say well done they look for ways to criticise.

The Labour MP for Hartlepool was on the radio this morning whinging about it, absolutely staggering

Everyone knows the Tories are over a barrel on brexit and dared not take a hit on Nissan being the thin end off wedge of exodus at this time .
Great that our region has benefitted for once but don't for one minute think we or the men at Nissan were actually thought of.
The Tories have done a deal With the devil to keep Nissan and like good inscrutible beneficiaries Nissan are being very conciliatory in return .
Pleased for the lads, their wifes and their bairns , our lucky day it seems but normal service will be resumed

Meanwhile Labour............... :):) shambles

Will this just safeguard existing jobs rather than create new ones? The NE is the poorest part of England, Nissan being there for the last 30 years hasn't improved that and neither will the news today. Whatever gets invested in the NE also gets invested in the SE, with an extra nought on the end usually.

a company in eaglescliffe who work alongside Nissan said this news safeguards current jobs with the potential to create new jobs.

I can't believe this place. The government being questioned by the labour party because they have agreed a deal which secures and possibly creates jobs for years to come in the NE. Then you have the usual complainers that the NE gets no investment still complaining despite it actually happening but because the wrong party done it it doesn't count.

100% spot on. As I've just pointed out the Labour MP for Hartlepool was on the radio "whilst it's good news......... blah blah" then went on to attack the government about it. Some folk are clearly unhappy because it's The Tories who have secured this. If it was Corbyn & his clowns who had secured this, all we would here is "The Tories don't care about us up here", "Corbyn fighting for his working class areas" blah blah.

Last edited:
So you're aware of the details that haven't been released? Care to share?

Why not?

You haven't answered any of the points I raised about the deal offering nothing long-term for the NE. It's correct that people are questioning the deal rather than just looking at the superficial gains like most people are or because they think it justifies the result of a vote held 4 months ago.

Why not?

You haven't answered any of the points I raised about the deal offering nothing long-term for the NE. It's correct that people are questioning the deal rather than just looking at the superficial gains like most people are or because they think it justifies the result of a vote held 4 months ago.

Both have denied that they've been offered financial incentives and Nissan put all models out for tender before the vote as well so were you never happy about the long term future? I don't know what the deal is. I do know that the temps have been made permanent. I do know that the plant if being upgraded. I do know that additional cars are to be made there. I do know it's one of the most efficient and productive plants you can find.

I'm fully in agreement that it's bad we're so reliant on one business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back