Question time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is its not like I mean I disagree with everything they are saying sometimes, I just don't like the routine of a left soundbite and a round of applause by the audience. All the refugee stuff is an easy target.

Lot of the time I am just looking for an argument when discussing politics like :lol:, deep down I respect everyone has the right to vote for what and who they want.

Agree, just things like 'the tories are ruining this country', 'it's racist', 'we want equality'.

I think some of the MPs are just as bad for it, especially the younger labour ones.

Agree, just things like 'the tories are ruining this country', 'it's racist', 'we want equality'.

I think some of the MPs are just as bad for it, especially the younger labour ones.

Totally agree aye. The tories got a majority government, deal with it.

The MPs are so whipped and prepared with what to say it is just a load of key words and sound bites designed to get claps. It's only really decent when you have good other guests.

Will this just safeguard existing jobs rather than create new ones? The NE is the poorest part of England, Nissan being there for the last 30 years hasn't improved that and neither will the news today. Whatever gets invested in the NE also gets invested in the SE, with an extra nought on the end usually.

I've done quite a bit of family history research and you don't have to go back too far on census records to see families of 7+ people living in 2 roomed properties with little to no help from the state. Things are a lot better now then they have been for a long time and I would say most have a better quality of life now than they would have had in the past.

What a f***ing miserable argument that is! Things are shit today but not as shit as in 1885, so that's alright then! The fact of the matter is that these twats would think nothing of sending ordinary, hard working (their favourite phrase) people back to Dickensian conditions if it benefits them and their cronies in business. Aren't we supposed to move forward, not back?

The MPs are so whipped and prepared with what to say it is just a load of key words and sound bites designed to get claps. It's only really decent when you have good other guests.

Aye, I hate when they get a conservative that just say literwllynword for word what they've been saying all week. The current one is 'running commentary' equally the labour MPs are basically the anti Tory party, they're anti anything conservative. For example tonight when labour see the great news about Nissan and they choose to have a go at the tories for cutting a deal to save jobs, it was typical.

So you're a mug for not switching it off, aren't you?

Can't argue with that marra :lol:.

It's usually better than that to be fair.

Will this just safeguard existing jobs rather than create new ones? The NE is the poorest part of England, Nissan being there for the last 30 years hasn't improved that and neither will the news today. Whatever gets invested in the NE also gets invested in the SE, with an extra nought on the end usually.

500 temps made permanent this week and the plant is being upgraded to a super plant. It is superb news for the area.

The Labour MP (from London) sounds devastated jobs in Sunderland have been secured.
Since he is a member of the London village that is inevitable.

Of course the twats could always move their businesses here to take advantage of our wonderful workforce,

Me neither...Nissan is good news for the whole country...not just the north east..pity some MP,s didn't kick up such a fuss when the bankers were bailed out !
The whole country has sat by and watched Sunderland be destroyed 40 tears ago and in ignored since then. We have pulled ourselves up on our own because we are the people we are, not because of any serious help from outside and in spite of the money grabbing of Newcastle.

Well done to us. Fuck them all. I couln't care less about the fortunes of a country that has watched our decay without comment.

Not sure anybody is digging for an angle. What has to be addressed is the fact that 3 weeks ago they were saying no more investment till we see what the Brexit deal is and now they are not only staying but shifting new models here too. I think it is essential that we know, not because we dont agree that a deal had to be done or that it was good for the country but because of the implications for us as tax payers and certainly for other businesses who want a level playing field and will rightly feel slightly pissed off that some companies are being given preferential treatment.....Even if that preferential treatment is just being told what "Brexit" means, that gives them a massive advantage over companies who do not have this information. Is it ok for instance that the flower importer is left in the dark while Nissan has the information given it could result in them going bankrupt.

Level playing field? Are you serious?

How much will they spend on the new runway at Heathrow? They say it will create 77000 jobs. We have 7500 at Sunderland.

It has not improved it, but it has prevented it getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this place. The government being questioned by the labour party because they have agreed a deal which secures and possibly creates jobs for years to come in the NE. Then you have the usual complainers that the NE gets no investment still complaining despite it actually happening but because the wrong party done it it doesn't count.

Great read, now need to watch it with the Cornish

So are we now in favour of our money propping up private companies ? or is it still a bad idea ala tax credits ?
I get your point and you are right. The profit that this will create will help out a poor region that needs it more than most. The firm could easily move to France but haven't.

Last edited:
Wonder what the deal actually was with Nissan. Quietly knocking a few pips off their Corporation Tax rate maybe?

Delighted that the lads and lasses at Nissan are keeping their jobs. I've lived Down South since 1997 and it's pretty rare to see good news coming from the North East.

Loads of new jobs, investment and commitment to expand and improve one the best car manufacturing plants you will find and it is on our doorstep. Not sure what it would take to be superb?

It's temporarily safeguarding existing jobs (in the main) with the promise of a subsidy should things go wrong. It's not permanent and/or investing anything in the long-term infrastructure of the NE.

I also find it a bit unnerving the growing power that one company has over a region and the influence they have on government. What's to stop Hitachi rolling up in the future and asking for the taxpayer to underwrite any losses that they may incur? Why should big business be subsidised by the tax payer? It wasn't good enough for nationalised industries in the 80's and 90's, why is it ok now?

Can I point out that I think it's good news, I'm not ideologically driven at all. I just think that a lot of posters don't dig deep and just look at the superficial gains.

It sets a dangerous precedent.

Are subsidies and tax breaks going to be offered to all companies who threaten to withdraw investment?

Is this what Brexit has achieved?

And to those saying well done to the government, were you so pleased when the last labour government bailed out certain banks including Northern Rock who were also a major North East business.

It's temporarily safeguarding existing jobs (in the main) with the promise of a subsidy should things go wrong. It's not permanent and/or investing anything in the long-term infrastructure of the NE.

I also find it a bit unnerving the growing power that one company has over a region and the influence they have on government. What's to stop Hitachi rolling up in the future and asking for the taxpayer to underwrite any losses that they may incur? Why should big business be subsidised by the tax payer? It wasn't good enough for nationalised industries in the 80's and 90's, why is it ok now?

Can I point out that I think it's good news, I'm not ideologically driven at all. I just think that a lot of posters don't dig deep and just look at the superficial gains.

So you're aware of the details that haven't been released? Care to share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back