Pulis.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard from a reliable source that Pulis doesn't particularly like the players at Palace, he's thinks they're a bunch of big time Charlies. Despite this he gets a tune out of them, the difference between a proper manager and someone like Di Canio.

They had the players already there for his style of play. We didn't.

[QUnearly "OakeyStokie, post: 17499561, member: 27774"]Still can't believe there are people in your ranks here that think he couldn't have done that job at your place. I'm guessing it's people who know they are so wrong about him trying to justfy it inside themselves.

If you had Pulis you would still be in the league next year.

For those saying it is boring football. Compare the last 22 games of both teams since Pulis took over at Palace.

16 points to their 33
4 wins to their 10
23 goals to their 20

You do the maths.
He nearly took you lot down and half your fans couldn't wait to get rid.[/QUOTE]

The only thing he was guilty of at Stoke was going stale. The second half of last season was where things went a bit daft but you can forgive him that after everything he did for us. If he was given the summer he might have kicked on again. Who knows?

Maybe the sacking and moving to a different club has enabled him to look at things from a different angle and change certain facets of his management. Again, who knows?

For those that say your squad wasn't built for his football then look at Palace. Their squad wasn't built for any type of football at this level.

He'll outlast my club at Premiership level.

Think Pulis has done a great job at Palarse. I also think that under him we'd probably have stayed up.

However Pulis, much like "Big Sam", is an old fashioned manager playing desperate old fashioned football. Personally speaking I'd rather go down & see the club re-build in a more up to date football manner. I'm not saying that Poyet is the way forward, he may/may not be, but a short term fix of Pulis leaves me stone cold.

Honestly mate, what do you think the chances are of this happening? And more importantly, if is does happen, what is the chance of it being a success?

We don't have the luxury of being able to rebuild (in the way you are implying) in the championship, and we will likely have to rely on loans and freebies and also have to scrap our way to promotion. Once this is eventually achieved, we will have to scrap for our lives to stay up. So it summary, it may take us a good few seasons to get back, and once there we will no further forward (and probably behind) where Palace will be next season.

I would have hated him becoming our manager. Absolutely hated it. I'd prefer relegation to the third than watch us play "football" like that.

I would have hated him becoming our manager. Absolutely hated it. I'd prefer relegation to the third than watch us play "football" like that.

Football like that? 3 goals and an away victory last night against Everton, and according to sky last night they were playing some good stuff.

No real Sunderland fan would rather see us go down than play ugly, IMO.

What if we had won the cup final against Man City by playing ugly, would you not have celebrated?

I've heard from a reliable source that Pulis doesn't particularly like the players at Palace, he's thinks they're a bunch of big time Charlies. Despite this he gets a tune out of them, the difference between a proper manager and someone like Di Canio.
Or Poyet?

I doubt he'd have made much of a difference to us in all honesty. Palace have plenty of grafters, we don't have many who are interested. That's requirement #1 in a Pulis side.

Secondly, Palace's problem was conceding goals, our problem was and still is scoring them more so than conceding. Palace have scored the least amount of goals in the league with 27.

He's done a sensational job at Palace but unless he transformed into someone who can pull goals out of his stupid cap then I think all he'd have been able to do with us secure more 0-0's.

Don't talk so stupid

There's literally nothing stupid in what I say. I go to football to be entertained. Appointing a manager like that is essentially ignoring entertainment at all costs. Unless you like the long ball and plenty of obstructions?

I'd prefer to watch lower league football and be entertained than watch shit premier league football. It always amazes me that people who actually go to the games would prefer the shit premiership football option.

Football like that? 3 goals and an away victory last night against Everton, and according to sky last night they were playing some good stuff.

No real Sunderland fan would rather see us go down than play ugly, IMO.

What if we had won the cup final against Man City by playing ugly, would you not have celebrated?

I'd prefer to watch entertaining non-league football than shit premiership football.

There's literally nothing stupid in what I say. I go to football to be entertained. Appointing a manager like that is essentially ignoring entertainment at all costs. Unless you like the long ball and plenty of obstructions?

I'd prefer to watch lower league football and be entertained than watch shit premier league football. It always amazes me that people who actually go to the games would prefer the shit premiership football option.

I'd prefer to watch entertaining non-league football than shit premiership football.

I agree with your sentiments but at SAFC we are neither playing good football nor getting good results.

We'd need to look at a team like Swansea to learn how they built from the old 4th division to the top flight and have remained there. SAFC tend to be OK at getting relegated and promoted between the top 2 divisions but cannot seem to establish ourselves there.

To me exciting football is winning football. We could 1-0 every game with the goal smacking off someones arse in the last minute. The type of football Swansea play, passing for the sake of passing bores the arse off me

Reactions: WHD

If you want to watch good football you're going down the wrong path supporting Sunderland, why don't you just get sky sports in and watch all the top matches on there, if all you want is to watch 'good' football.

I support Sunderland, and want them to win football matches, in whatever style necessary.

Was it Alan Durban who said if you want entertainment, go the circus? Well he was right.

If you want to watch good football you're going down the wrong path supporting Sunderland, why don't you just get sky sports in and watch all the top matches on there, if all you want is to watch 'good' football.

I support Sunderland, and want them to win football matches, in whatever style necessary.

Was it Alan Durban who said if you want entertainment, go the circus? Well he was right.

He said that at your place as well, did he? :lol:

Pretty sure Steve McClaren said something similar at Boro.

He said that at your place as well, did he? :lol:
Apparently. Unless he was just getting quoted from his time at Stoke.

Edit: Apparently this is what happend: During the 1980–81 season Stoke played out an awful 2–0 defeat away at Arsenal and a journalist told Durban that there was no entertainment watching his team's performance, to which Durban replied "If you want entertainment go and watch a bunch of clowns."

I can't see any reference to him saying it at Sunderland.

Apparently. Unless he was just getting quoted from his time at Stoke.

Edit: Apparently this is what happend: During the 1980–81 season Stoke played out an awful 2–0 defeat away at Arsenal and a journalist told Durban that there was no entertainment watching his team's performance, to which Durban replied "If you want entertainment go and watch a bunch of clowns."

I can't see any reference to him saying it at Sunderland.

Good lad, Durban.

He got left with a good team all was needed was disaplin give it a year or so when he put his own mark on the team they be dog shit just wait and see

regardless of who wins the title he is manager of the season for me. He has done an amazing job with a squad I'd say is worse than ours !

Wonder what would have happened if he had came here.

If Liverpool win the title, it will be BR, but Pulis is definitely worthy of consideration!

Who's to say this time next year we won't be top of the championship and Palace at the bottom of the prem?

Personally I am more interested in what is happening her and now and from a personal point of view I would prefer to be 10th, rather than 20th.

As for next year, I have no idea what is going to happen and giving all the outgoings at the club, finishing mid table in the Championship might actually be seen as some sort of achievement under the circumstances! I am not confident of an easy return!

Don't get the negativity here re Pullis! The rubbish Sunderland have played for most of this season is obvious and it's dull to watch. And we certainly haven't been scoring goals. Pullis has done a magnificent job and it's simply jealousy and lies to suggest that we would prefer to go down having GP in charge rather than having him as a manager.

Anyone who thinks Sunderland will be a top 8 PL club playing magnificent football is deluded! We need to scrap for our lives, battle, work hard, and do the ugly things right. Instead we have tried to play our way out of trouble with a team not capable of doing that.

I for one would have Pullis in charge and PL survival. Palace now have 40 points, have won the last 4 games and scored 3 on the road twice in that run. Compare that to our utter rubbish!

I too find this a bit of a strange / misguided stance to take. As if we'd prefer to be relegated, rather than have Pulis in charge??? It is just a baffling statement to make. He has done an excellent job at Palace as they were certainties to be relegated when he took over and now they are mid-table.

I would be surprised to find any Palace supporter grumbling about the appointment, claiming they should have got Poyet instead!!!

Last edited:
Did Pulis ever bring a kid through the Stoke youth system to the first team?, I could be wrong but in his years there I can't recall any at all. Which is a massive gripe with our fans and we've had a couple come through.
I don't care who Pulis has or hasn't brought through the ranks. I don't care if he plays boring football. In his tenure as manager he has never been relegated. He may not be fashionable but he is a solid manager. Its laughable that fans of a team that has had more managers and relegation fights than most of late would criticize the credentials of a manager based on boring football. I doubt that many Palace fans were bored yesterday whilst beating Everton. The development of home grown players depends more on the infrastructure of the club than anything else. Its absurd to me that you would choose that argument. How many players has Mourinho brought through the ranks at Chelsea? Staying in the prem is the aim and Ive never been bored by that. What is boring is listening to the same old rubbish on here.

Reactions: WHD
regardless of who wins the title he is manager of the season for me. He has done an amazing job with a squad I'd say is worse than ours !

Wonder what would have happened if he had came here.
He has kept them up which is all well and good but as a long term manager no I wouldn't want him here at all. I'm much in favour of Gus's style of play in attacking football it's just a shame we don't have the players capable of it just yet. I stick by Gus whether we gan down or not to sort this f***ing rot out and get the players out that have caused this mess in the first place. How many managers have we had that has had the exact same problem? To many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back