Pickford's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

If he has any ambition in his career he'll be off at the nearest opportunity.

He'll be flogged in the summer for a fortune.
Disagree, he's our current #1 has been called up to the senior England side, if he's starting for us and playing well his international place will continue to happen, he could move to a so called "top club" and not start so his international career may suffer, he's got plenty of time on his hands, as have we as he's got what another 4 years on his contract?

If he has any ambition in his career he'll be off at the nearest opportunity.

He'll be flogged in the summer for a fortune.

I suppose ambitious people can often be stupid.

If he had any sense he'd continue to work on his development for a few more years and only make the move when he's actually ready for it.

I suppose ambitious people can often be stupid.

If he had any sense he'd continue to work on his development for a few more years and only make the move when he's actually ready for it.

Doesn't happen though does it. He'll have his agent in his ear saying he can play Champions League football and he'll be away. No point kidding ourselves otherwise really. You've also go to factor in how desperate the club will be to cash in.

Anyone who thinks a bigger club won't come and snatch the better players of a smaller club is naive. Not to mention the fact that the owner and manager might want to sell. Even Man Utd had to sell Ronaldo eventually

I'm not naive, I realise that the most likely outcome is that we lose him to a richer club.

All I'm really saying is that as a club we should do everything we can to keep him, if that doesn't work at least we will have tried and playing hard ball can only push the price upwards.

I still think that Liverpool got an absolute bargain when they bought Henderson, we should have tried harder to keep him.

There will be offers in January.

Hopefully Moyes started something with the Kone rejections in the summer. Before that I can't remember a time we got a big bid for a player and didn't accept it

I'm not naive, I realise that the most likely outcome is that we lose him to a richer club.

All I'm really saying is that as a club we should do everything we can to keep him, if that doesn't work at least we will have tried and playing hard ball can only push the price upwards.

I still think that Liverpool got an absolute bargain when they bought Henderson, we should have tried harder to keep him.

£20m was a great deal for both parties. The club is going to get slaughtered by the fans no matter what it does, even if we sell for £40m you're still going to get people whinging saying that we should've just kept him.

There will be offers in January.

Hopefully Moyes started something with the Kone rejections in the summer. Before that I can't remember a time we got a big bid for a player and didn't accept it
The good thing is if we did reject offers I expect the kid to get on with his job professionally unlike Kone

Instead of people discussing when he is likely to leave and for how much It would be refreshing to hear supporters discuss how the club could keep him long term and start building a team around him.

You never know, he might actually be happy to stay and if all he ever reads is stuff about how and when he will leave that might actually undermine his desire to stay.

Until we start being able to keep hold of our best young players we will be doomed to mediocrity.

Any club with a talent like Pickford on their hands has the choice of either trying to keep him and trying to drag the club upto a level where his ambitions can be achieved by staying at the club or just cashing in and resigning the club to future struggle.
:lol:

Problem is,we are never in a position to turn down big money. On reflection, Henderson looks an absolute steal at £16m but that was 5 years ago when transfer fees were smaller (before the crazy TV money of the last few years kicked in) and let's be honest, he's improved massively as a player since joining Liverpool. Pickford is a Sunderland fan, but he won't enjoy being at the bottom of the league and if the opportunity comes to play CL football, which enhances his chances of representing his country? He'd be a fool to turn it down

I hope he stays for at least another season and a half,think a move to one of the big boys before then may not help.

Inevitable clubs will come calling but I'm enjoying having a local lad in goal playing well for us

Depends who he has got as his agent i guess.

Apparently Henderson didnt actually want to leave, but the club told him he was going as they wanted the money from Liverpool. So him wanting to stay is not necessarily going to mean he stays.
Apparently:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Aye apparently he didnt want to join one of most well known and globally supported clubs in the world and play with midfielders like gerrard.
Apparently he didnt want to trouser a multi million signing on fee and loyalty bonus.
Apparently he didnt want to immediately treble probably quadruple his wages and on a 4/5 year deal.
Apparently he relished the thought of fighting relegation battles for the next few years.
You are probably correct

I disagree that we need to build our team around Pickford. Southampton have shown us the way forward, sell for huge money and then re-invest and make the squad stronger, we would be daft to turn down £25-30m for him. The good news is that the big hitters like Man City, Liverpool, Spurs will all be in the market for a goalkeeper, he is going to go for huge money and will comfortably top the fee we got for Henderson.

Apparently:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Aye apparently he didnt want to join one of most well known and globally supported clubs in the world and play with midfielders like gerrard.
Apparently he didnt want to trouser a multi million signing on fee and loyalty bonus.
Apparently he didnt want to immediately treble probably quadruple his wages and on a 4/5 year deal.
Apparently he relished the thought of fighting relegation battles for the next few years.
You are probably correct

Just going on what I heard, obviously all those things you list above are correct, but apparently he wanted to stay in order to get more game time at a point where his career was developing, felt the move was too soon for him. Obvioulsy worked out alright in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back