Pickford's future

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree that we need to build our team around Pickford. Southampton have shown us the way forward, sell for huge money and then re-invest and make the squad stronger, we would be daft to turn down £25-30m for him. The good news is that the big hitters like Man City, Liverpool, Spurs will all be in the market for a goalkeeper, he is going to go for huge money and will comfortably top the fee we got for Henderson.
Totally agree and said this a few times. That's how clubs like us should have been ran for years and how you become self sufficient. Then you build and improve the team/squad. Do this properly for a few years and then it's 3 or 4 players a season needed, rather than our 8 or 9 all the time. Once you improve by doing this, you can pick and choose which players and big offers you accept and who you want to keep. That's being ran properly. People will kick off if we sell him for 25m, but then be wondering why we aren't spending 40m on bringing players in. It needs to balance somewhere along the lines.

He doesn't look nor sound like the kind of lad who dedicates a great deal of his time to reading, in fairness... :lol:

Apparently:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Aye apparently he didnt want to join one of most well known and globally supported clubs in the world and play with midfielders like gerrard.
Apparently he didnt want to trouser a multi million signing on fee and loyalty bonus.
Apparently he didnt want to immediately treble probably quadruple his wages and on a 4/5 year deal.
Apparently he relished the thought of fighting relegation battles for the next few years.
You are probably correct
You're wrong he's right.

Just going on what I heard, obviously all those things you list above are correct, but apparently he wanted to stay in order to get more game time at a point where his career was developing, felt the move was too soon for him. Obvioulsy worked out alright in the end.
You're right he's wrong.

Totally agree and said this a few times. That's how clubs like us should have been ran for years and how you become self sufficient. Then you build and improve the team/squad. Do this properly for a few years and then it's 3 or 4 players a season needed, rather than our 8 or 9 all the time. Once you improve by doing this, you can pick and choose which players and big offers you accept and who you want to keep. That's being ran properly. People will kick off if we sell him for 25m, but then be wondering why we aren't spending 40m on bringing players in. It needs to balance somewhere along the lines.
That would be fine if 90% of the players we buy were fit for purpose.

Last edited:
The thing we have going for us with Jordan Pickford , as opposed to, let's say Henderson, is that he will hold or increase his value (barring a huge downturn wich is unlikely) for maybe another 10 years as he is a goalkeeper. We don't have to sell him now to make a quick quid, we could keep him for another 5 years until he's 27, with more premier experience, and flog a goalkeeper for a mint with another 10 years career in him!

Absolutely flourishing under Moyes :cool:

Sure you're being tongue in cheek, but you're doing the lad a disservice repeatedly claiming this one for Moyes. It's been evident this lad was destined for top things since long before Moyes entered the picture, and it's hard to imagine any manager would have handled the injury to Mannone much differently. It's not like Moyes has given him his debut or anything.

I thought it was probably his poorest show on Saturday. Missed that cross and it seemed to get to him for the rest of the game.

Given the hype, age and English, its a matter of when the bid comes and by who, there will be more than one team after him so providing he keeps his form and hype remains the offers are going to be fairly hefty.

He's a very promising keeper-currently 4th choice for England although arguably should be 2nd or 3rd choice (better than Heaton?)

We shouldn't be thinking of selling him of course, but if we do, it has to be for a Kings ransom-and I'm not talking £10M I'm talking double that at least.

Having said that, I think its very difficult for the club to turn down a £20M bid-agreed we could keep him and he would develop and get better and accumulate in value. On the other hand he could get a really bad injury and be forced to retire.

I think the Kevin Phillips scenario should be firmly in mind here-we turned down £20M from Villa, then sold him for a few beans and a Mars bar when we got relegated a few months later....

If we get relegated, he suddenly becomes a Championship keeper....??

Depends on what his career aspirations are, I'd love us to keep him but I think we'll struggle to keep hold if the likes of Man Utd / City/ Liverpool / Spurs / Arsenal and the likes come a knocking ! :(. If they do we need to be getting top dollar for him mind !

If the players haven't worked out that 90% of people on here talk cackbabble they should be ruled out with a brain injury. It won't make any difference if people chat shit on the SMB whether or not he signs for Man City for 30 million quid.

If Moyes actually has any say in whether we accept or turn down a bit, I am sure it will come down to how much he actually has to invest in the upcoming window. If he has nothing at all, but is guaranteed anything he gets in from transfer fees, he might find 20-25 million very tempting for a keeper.

I would love him to stay forever mind.

still only a young lad..the pressure on a keeper at a bigger club is immense and always under the spotlight

he needs to get experience and he gets that a club like ours...if he keeps his form going then the big boys come knocking when he has matured a bit

how many times has a move to a big club at a young age destroyed a player..

Sell him for 20m, then rely on Mannone for the rest of the season and only get free/loans in January (M'Vila, CB and a striker). Then next summer prepare a 50-60m transfer budget to build a really strong side. :)

Instead of people discussing when he is likely to leave and for how much It would be refreshing to hear supporters discuss how the club could keep him long term and start building a team around him.

You never know, he might actually be happy to stay and if all he ever reads is stuff about how and when he will leave that might actually undermine his desire to stay.

Until we start being able to keep hold of our best young players we will be doomed to mediocrity.

Any club with a talent like Pickford on their hands has the choice of either trying to keep him and trying to drag the club upto a level where his ambitions can be achieved by staying at the club or just cashing in and resigning the club to future struggle.

Agents hold all the power. How long we keep Pickford will depend on what level of slimy parasite he employs to look after his affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back