Northumberland/Tyneside based SAFC fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would imagine that a lot of it will be down either to themselves or their Dads being miners from Wearside/County Durham who had to move up here.
Not so...the Northumberland coal field was knackered and on its last legs long before the deep mines of Durham.
I think, though, that the mining fraternity in Northumberland took to Sunderland and it is true that, historically, Ashington and Bedlington had very good pockets of support for Sunderland. As for the broad accent, most of the true born-and-bred Ashingtonians and Bedlingtonites have a Northumbrian accent rather than Tyneside Geordie ...rolling their Rs, the lot. Jack Charlton's accent nudged this.

I used to work with Bobby & Jack Charlton's cousin Davy Charlton who was from Ashington, and he was a staunch Sunderland supporter.

Apparently there's quite a few Sunderland supporters up that neck of the woods.[/QUOTE

I lived in Ashington for 5 years and there's lots of Sunderland supporters there. As there is in Morpeth, Cramlington and Blyth.
There was nowt better than travelling to home matches and seeing red n' white in cars while on the spine road and the A19 approaching the Tyne Tunnel :)

Going into the Black Bull in Morpeth after getting back from the first 0-3 was a joyous experience. :lol:

It was indeed... Were you with the Carr's and Harri's?

There's a good few of us up here like, there is probably not a massive difference in the numbers of people who go to football between Sunderland and Newcastle, just they obviously have far more armchair supporters.

I go to every home game on one of the Ellington branch supporters bus, which there is 2, taking around 100 per game.

@monty79 do you go on the bus?

There's a good few of us up here like, there is probably not a massive difference in the numbers of people who go to football between Sunderland and Newcastle, just they obviously have far more armchair supporters.

I go to every home game on one of the Ellington branch supporters bus, which there is 2, taking around 100 per game.

Yes Kelvin!!

I'm the good looking one!

Some of the horrors who have a go on the karaoke on a Friday/Saturday night...

I might have been one of them!

Does anyone know the identity of "The Sunderland Skinheed" referenced in Harry Pearson's book "The Far Corner"? The book says this lad lived in the same Northumberland town as Pearson, which I believe was Alnwick. I really hope he is not a fictional figure as that would spoil the book greatly, saying as it is meant to be written from personal experience.

For anyone who has not read the book, The Sunderland Skinheed is described as a massive lad whose neck is wider than his head and is of intimidating appearance.

It still has a bad reputation but there is hardly any bother there. You'll know Hoggy the goalie then?
There was a "Hoggy" originally from Ashington used to live down here a few years ago, lived in Wootton Bassett but now moved back up the Ashington area. he was a fuckn nutter :lol:

Does anyone know the identity of "The Sunderland Skinheed" referenced in Harry Pearson's book "The Far Corner"? The book says this lad lived in the same Northumberland town as Pearson, which I believe was Alnwick. I really hope he is not a fictional figure as that would spoil the book greatly, saying as it is meant to be written from personal experience.

For anyone who has not read the book, The Sunderland Skinheed is described as a massive lad whose neck is wider than his head and is of intimidating appearance.
hexham

Good story mate
Very similar with my old man- said he got the train from Heworth to both games and admired our fans whilst newcastle fans would repeatedly mug each other hence supporting the lads for so long and (thankfully) getting me to see the light as well

.. our lass has relatives who support Sunderland who are from Whitley Bay .. The father used to go to Newcastle but packed it in because there was always too much trouble. He was told about a coach that left for Sunderland every home game and was invited along. The family have been Sunderland supporters ever since ..

Wasn't mate no.

Used to get the bus quite a bit a few years back, but get an early train through these days.

Not so...the Northumberland coal field was knackered and on its last legs long before the deep mines of Durham.
I think, though, that the mining fraternity in Northumberland took to Sunderland and it is true that, historically, Ashington and Bedlington had very good pockets of support for Sunderland. As for the broad accent, most of the true born-and-bred Ashingtonians and Bedlingtonites have a Northumbrian accent rather than Tyneside Geordie ...rolling their Rs, the lot. Jack Charlton's accent nudged this.

The Northumbrian Burr has almost died out now. Although some young lads use it if they do an impression of old folk.

My granny's rolled Rs were so broad I used to think she had a speech impediment when I was a kid.

As the username suggests I'm from Cramlington. My Dad was born
and bred in Harton, Shields and my first ever game was at Roker Park. Fell in love with SAFC ever since.

I attend with a pal @Northern from Cramlington and there's a fair few of us drink in the Brockwell Seam including the manager porky.
who is the manager in there now? a mate of mine who now lives in thailand was the first guvnor in there when it was first built (he is a mag like)

I'm really surprised how many of us are behind enemy lines - I'm in Kenton and I see NO lads tops - except me and my son and daughter - still cant wait to move back to Sunderland like

I live in Cramlington (from North Shields originally) didn't realise there were as many of us in Cramlington (if this thread is anything to go by).

Did Paul follow Celtic as well?

I used to get to some away games with two lads, Paul and Gary they were from Cramlington.

Hi yes he did. And you know what, i think i might have messed up with the names. I think you're right, one might've been called Gary. Apologies to everyone concerned, i'm a f**kwit.:):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back