Local cricket 20 & 21 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cant compare the leagues 40 years apart. My point was the recent standaed of DSL was poor compared to the new nepl 1. The overseas in question were decades ago and with the money in international cricket now, you will never repeat the quality of overseas

Standard is a lot better and all club's investingin juniors, facilities and strengthen their teams. Great to see

Are you seriously for real. Of course the premier league was better than the recent standard of the senior league they took most of their best teams. In case you didnt know Chester, Sunderland, South Shields, Gateshead Fell, Hetton Lyons were all senior league sides. My whole argument has been that the Premier league decimated the senior league and that the standard is no better. To make a fair comparison you have got to compare the senior league at it s best -before the set up of the premier league with the current premier league and as I have already said their were plenty teams in the Senior League that were the equal of the premier league. Incidentally the Horden team including Derrick Parry which won about 5 titles and numerous cups was only in the 90s and the premier league set up in 2000 so hardly 40 years difference.

You yourself have already admitted that the standard of overseas player was much superior and don't forget many senior league teams had a pro and sometimes 2 or 3 overseas 'amateurs' who were playing first class cricket.

When the last time you went to Durham City? With the greatest respect to the people who work hard for that club they arent even near the likes of Washington and Brandon in terms of setup, players and facilities. History means nothing look at all the clubs that have gone under and the few others that will do in the next 10years.
Washington and Brandon are producing quality players who will go onto play for Durham

Cheers you have just made my argument I am sure the County will be delighted.

However I am duty bound to point out that The City has produced many many players that represented Durham without the set up you are so enamoured with. Brian Lander, Tim Hughes, RAD Mercer to name just a few but you probably haven't heard of them.

Are you seriously for real. Of course the premier league was better than the recent standard of the senior league they took most of their best teams. In case you didnt know Chester, Sunderland, South Shields, Gateshead Fell, Hetton Lyons were all senior league sides. My whole argument has been that the Premier league decimated the senior league and that the standard is no better. To make a fair comparison you have got to compare the senior league at it s best -before the set up of the premier league with the current premier league and as I have already said their were plenty teams in the Senior League that were the equal of the premier league. Incidentally the Horden team including Derrick Parry which won about 5 titles and numerous cups was only in the 90s and the premier league set up in 2000 so hardly 40 years difference.

You yourself have already admitted that the standard of overseas player was much superior and don't forget many senior league teams had a pro and sometimes 2 or 3 overseas 'amateurs' who were playing first class cricket.

However I am duty bound to point out that The City has produced many many players that represented Durham without the set up you are so enamoured with. Brian Lander, Tim Hughes, RAD Mercer, to name just a few but you probably haven't heard of them.

Last edited:

However I am duty bound to point out that The City has produced many many players that represented Durham without the set up you are so enamoured with. Brian Lander, Tim Hughes, RAD Mercer to name just a few but you probably haven't heard of them.
Names of the past again you do realise its 2015! Should I roll you off a list of Lancashire league greats and pros that have played over the years lads I saw growing up, no as its pointless. All clubs are where they deserve to be and if they don't think they are go and win the league as you say that what the great clubs do isn't it?
They produce players for themselves first and foremost but any club should be proud or willing to achieve Durham and England players its surely what any coach would want and club. I know from my own perspective that if any of our youngsters represented Durham and England it would be a massive achievement.

Obviously your a former player are you still involved in local cricket at any level or are you a spectator/observer?

Names of the past again you do realise its 2015! Should I roll you off a list of Lancashire league greats and pros that have played over the years lads I saw growing up, no as its pointless. All clubs are where they deserve to be and if they don't think they are go and win the league as you say that what the great clubs do isn't it?
They produce players for themselves first and foremost but any club should be proud or willing to achieve Durham and England players its surely what any coach would want and club. I know from my own perspective that if any of our youngsters represented Durham and England it would be a massive achievement.

Obviously your a former player are you still involved in local cricket at any level or are you a spectator/observer?

I appreciate the players I mentioned were from some time ago. My point was that clubs were still producing good players before the premier league set up.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that any club would be proud if one of their youngsters represented the county or England. My gripe is that the whole system is now run for the benefit of the County. The Durham Senior League was destroyed because officials were not afraid to stand up to Geoff Cook if they thought what he was suggesting would not benefit their teams whereas the premier league dances to Durham's tune on the off chance that one or two out of hundreds of players might eventually represent the county.

DCB Under 13s lost to Cheshire U13s at a very sunny Heaton Mersey CC ground near Stockport. Lads tried their best but lost in the penultimate over.

Really good game played in a really good spirit.

Young un do owt?
Got 12 not out batting in the "Paul Collingwood" role in the middle order. Opened the bowing but no wickets today. Nice ground. Beautiful day for cricket.

The Durham lads were only defending 150 but it went down to the wire. Fielded really well as a team.

Good effort by them. Enter it into the 'experience ledger' and move on..
All went down together on a minibus with Gareth Breese who is the U13 coach. All part of team bonding. All the lads seem to get on well together so hopefully the majority of them will move up as a unit into the U14s next year.

That is the system so no if they worked their way through the leagues you can't dispute it.. But I would rather we didn't have the system. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. Also some of the clubs I mentioned have not as you put it worked their way through they were gifted a place in the 2nd division of premier league at the expense of more established and successful clubs who deserved it more.

Agree with this last sentence
Can i just ask what do people have against the NEDCL? If you want tradition NEDCL has plenty of it.

To be fair if you look through the thread it appears some have very poor opinions of anything other than the senior league.
Thats very true, unfortunately Durham county cricket club have a very low opinion of the NEDCL and most people seem to see it as not worth bothering with. Full of poor teams, its a shame really for the oldest league in the north east (older than the senior league btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back