Local cricket 20 & 21 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
How

I know for a fact the premier league had been threatening to do this for some time and in doing so the destroyed a league that had been in existence for over 100 yrs
See post above. All caused by the Senior League blocking promotion/relegation, despite having signed up for exactly that under the old pyramid system.

At that time the premier league had been in existence 13 yrs. The senior league had been in existence 113 years.
The senior league was run for the good of the clubs who were in it. The premier league was and still is run for the good of the county.

Last edited:
I used to speak regularly to committee men at my club who would say frankly that all the officials who wanted a premier league were concerned about was the county. They just wanted to watch their own club win leagues and cups . They had no interest in the county and did not want to relegate founder members of the league like Durham city and Seaham harbour to suit the agenda of the premier league.

The issue was with the pyramid systrm and not the DSL

Swalwell and Burnmoor won the league season after season and chose not to be promoted. The issue was the CHOICE and not Mandatory

The new divison was created to make it Mandatory and therefore make it a proper system

i believe Hordon and Phily didnt pass the criteria to get into the division so ended up in the depleted Durham league

The issue was with the pyramid systrm and not the DSL

Swalwell and Burnmoor won the league season after season and chose not to be promoted. The issue was the CHOICE and not Mandatory

The new divison was created to make it Mandatory and therefore make it a proper system

i believe Hordon and Phily didnt pass the criteria to get into the division so ended up in the depleted Durham league

Horden a team that dominated the senior league in the 90s an early 2000s and won numerous cups and Phily a team that won the senior league 6 times in the 70s not admitted and Washington a team that had not even played in a senior league admitted. Interesting decision that one. Would love someone to explain it.

Last edited:
See post above. All caused by the Senior League blocking promotion/relegation, despite having signed up for exactly that under the old pyramid system.

Because Durham city were relegated and they kicked up a fuss about.

As regards Washington and NEPL2 weren't teams invited to apply. Washington did and others didn't. That's no ones fault but the teams who didn't apply. You can't blame teams for wanting to better themselves.

Can't read any more arrogance from form former senior league players anymore.

As regards Washington and NEPL2 weren't teams invited to apply. Washington did and others didn't. That's no ones fault but the teams who didn't apply. You can't blame teams for wanting to better themselves.

As far as I can see mate there is only one,not players!

Last edited:
SAFC2403before : 20723544 said:

It all happened before the season finished but your right, DSL blocked Durham City being relgated and replaced with Boldon CA. In theory this was the catalyst for the new set up which in my opinion is fantastic

So a negative was turned into a big positive for North East Cricket. Just a shame the Tyneside Senior League didn't want to be involved

Horden a team that dominated the senior league in the 90s an early 2000s and won numerous cups and Phily a team that won the senior league 6 times in the 70s not admitted and Washington a team that had not even played in a senior league admitted. Interesting decision that one. Would love someone to explain it.
Maybe didnt have the right facilities or junior set up to join the league? Third team was also mandatory so maybe couldn't prove they could field a team

Im not sure if the criteria was based on the past success as i'm certain the successful teams in the 70's were all retired and no longer playing

Last edited:
It all happened before the season finished but your right, DSL blocked Durham City being relgated and replaced with Boldon CA. In theory this was the catalyst for the new set up which in my opinion is fantastic

So a negative was turned into a big positive for North East Cricket. Just a shame the Tyneside Senior League didn't want to be involved

Maybe didnt have the right facilities or junior set up to join the league? Third team was also mandatory so maybe couldn't prove they could field a team

Im not sure if the criteria was based on the past success as i'm certain the successful teams in the 70's were all retired and no longer playing

When you say the NTSL didn't want to be involved surely that would have been a nightmare - you have to regionalise at some point. Imagine Evenwood v Alnwick!

Maybe didn't have the right facilities you really think so. Given that both had been playing in a senior league for at least 70 years that would be surprising. A senior league incidentally that has included a third team for years.

I may be wrong but I sense that a significant proportion of contributors to this board are Johnny come lately a bit like some of the teams they support. Probably got interested in cricket when their children started playing and will probably lose interest when they stop. I wonder how many of them have heard of players like Greensword, Raja, parry etc.

Horden and Philadelphia applied both teams with considerable more success than Washington. Wonder why Washington got in and they didn't. Asked this before and no one can answer it

Last edited:
Maybe didn't have the right facilities you really think so. Given that both had been playing in a senior league for at least 70 years that would be surprising. A senior league incidentally that has included a third team for years.

I may be wrong but I sense that a significant proportion of contributors to this board are Johnny come lately a bit like some of the teams they support. Probably got interested in cricket when their children started playing and will probably lose interest when they stop. I wonder how many of them have heard of players like Greensword, Raja, parry etc.

Horden and Philadelphia applied both teams with considerable more success than Washington. Wonder why Washington got in and they didn't. Asked this before and no one can answer it
I don't want to get in the way of a good argument (so you carry on) but I'd imagine everyone has heard of those three, even me and I know nowt.

I dunno where to start with your comment about posters on this board......maybe stick to arguing your point rather than belittling the right of others to offer an alternative view may be a starting point. I may not agree with everyone on here but posters are very involved and informed on local cricket. The only person I can think of that falls into your imaginary category is @The Omega Man and he is still miles and away more interesting than you.

I dunno where to start with your comment about posters on this board......maybe stick to arguing your point rather than belittling the right of others to offer an alternative view may be a starting point. I may not agree with everyone on here but posters are very involved and informed on local cricket. The only person I can think of that falls into your imaginary category is @The Omega Man and he is still miles and away more interesting than you.

I'm not suggesting that they are not involved NOW. Simply that some of them do not know much about local cricket in the past. There was a bloke on here suggesting that the likes of horden or Philadelphia might not have been permitted to join the NEPL because you have to have a 3rd team - does that strike you as being well informed. I am attracting a lot of criticism for my comments that Washington and Brandon can't compare with durham City, Philadelphia or horden when it comes to previous success but that is clearly true.

Also no one has answered my point as to why Washington, was admitted to the premier league when Philly and horden were not given that Washington had never played in a senior league and horden and philly had enjoyed considerable success.

Glad you posted that. For a moment, I thought I was just misreading the wholly unecessary invective about "Johnny come latelys". It's stirring stuff.

Eh?

I cant answer foe anyone else but for me I started getting interested in local cricket via CLS CC way back in the mid 1970's. I remember distinctly watching matches such as the Tom Burn Cup final between Philadelphia and Greenside way back in about 1977. All of the players you mention I've seen play. Remember distinctly Raja's benefit game where he hit the ball out of the ground about 6 times.

Just because clubs have been famous in the past doesnt mean that it stays that way. Other clubs come up and over take them. Thats the way it works.

Also no one has answered my point as to why Washington, was admitted to the premier league when Philly and horden were not given that Washington had never played in a senior league and horden and philly had enjoyed considerable success.
Philadelphia werent admitted into the NEPL because their pitch did not come up to scratch. You had to have a certain standard of facility and Philadelphia failed that very important criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh?

I cant answer foe anyone else but for me I started getting interested in local cricket via CLS CC way back in the mid 1970's. I remember distinctly watching matches such as the Tom Burn Cup final between Philadelphia and Greenside way back in about 1977. All of the players you mention I've seen play. Remember distinctly Raja's benefit game where he hit the ball out of the ground about 6 times.

Just because clubs have been famous in the past doesnt mean that it stays that way. Other clubs come up and over take them. Thats the way it works.

Philadelphia werent admitted into the NEPL because their pitch did not come up to scratch. You had to have a certain standard of facility and Philadelphia failed that very important criteria.

Is this the same Philadelphia who 2 years earlier were playing in the premier league and if we are talking about pitches. - Seaham harbour and south hetton anyone.

Is this the same Philadelphia who 2 years earlier were playing in the premier league and if we are talking about pitches. - Seaham harbour and south hetton anyone.

The lad who was asked to look at the pitches for his opinion was the head groundsman at CLS CC. His verdict was that the Philadelphia pitch, at that time, was not up to scratch. As for Seaham Harbour or South Hetton, clearly they must have passed the inspection.

You also mentioned junior cricket in one of your posts. I'm fortunate in that my son plays junior cricket (I was a late developer on the baby front) so have only got into that scene in the last 4 or 5 years. I would agree with you if you were to say that not many on here follow the local junior scene but then again if you dont have kids playing at club and county level then you're almost bound to be out of the loop.

A lot has been written about how the Durham senior league brought about its own demise because it wouldn't accept relegation. Wonder if the people saying this are aware that if durham academy were to finish bottom of NEPL they will not be relegated. Funny that isn't it?

A lot has been written about how the Durham senior league brought about its own demise because it wouldn't accept relegation. Wonder if the people saying this are aware that if durham academy were to finish bottom of NEPL they will not be relegated. Funny that isn't it?
Not particularly. Would you prefer it if our young cricketers were denied the opportunity of playing against the best clubs and players? Remember what that particular team is there to do - develop the young cricketers in our region for the county, whether they be from Durham City, Philadelphia or Seaham Harbour. Don't see whats wrong with that. If the cricketers dont make it at the county then they go back to their clubs having had, perhaps, the opportunity to already play at the highest recreational level in Durham.

I guess you could make a case either way but your opinion might be biased dependent upon how much importance you attach to the county.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back