Local cricket 20 & 21 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not particularly. Would you prefer it if our young cricketers were denied the opportunity of playing against the best clubs and players? Remember what that particular team is there to do - develop the young cricketers in our region for the county, whether they be from Durham City, Philadelphia or Seaham Harbour. Don't see whats wrong with that. If the cricketers dont make it at the county then they go back to their clubs having had, perhaps, the opportunity to already play at the highest recreational level in Durham.

I guess you could make a case either way but your opinion might be biased dependent upon how much importance you attach to the county.

I know only too well what that team is for. That is my point.
The whole set up has been changed to accommodate the county . According to the powers that be it was a disgrace that the senior league refused to relegate durham city but they themselves would not relegate durham academy.

Can only speak for my own club but when I played members of our committee who attended meetings prior to the setting up of the premier league would come back with stories that the whole league structures was being amended to suit the agenda of the county and that while they wished the county would do well they were more concerned with their own club. The senior league was run for its members the premier league set up is totally durham focused.

I know only too well what that team is for. That is my point.
The whole set up has been changed to accommodate the county . According to the powers that be it was a disgrace that the senior league refused to relegate durham city but they themselves would not relegate durham academy.

Can only speak for my own club but when I played members of our committee who attended meetings prior to the setting up of the premier league would come back with stories that the whole league structures was being amended to suit the agenda of the county and that while they wished the county would do well they were more concerned with their own club. The senior league was run for its members the premier league set up is totally durham focused.
Don't see whats wrong with that personally. The whole setup should be to ultimately benefit the team at the head of cricket in the county which is Durham CCC, much the same way as the ECB is at the head of the whole setup in England and Durham CCC dances to its tune.

You clearly have a different opinion which is fair enough.

Just a shame the Tyneside Senior League didn't want to be involved
There still doesnt see to be any appetite for it. Not only that but the distances to travel would be massive. I think one of the fears is that it would cost the Tyneside teams too much money to compete in the NEPL setup. I aksed APCC when the barn joined them about the NEPL and at that time they simply werent interested. If they came across a money bag then that might change but ultimately i dont hear any whispers about the Tyneside teams casting any sort of envious glances at the rest of the region.

If Swalwell arent interested then I would imagine no one else would be. Shotley Bridge would be the only other ones who might come to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see whats wrong with that personally. The whole setup should be to ultimately benefit the team at the head of cricket in the county which is Durham CCC, much the same way as the ECB is at the head of the whole setup in England and Durham CCC dances to its tune.

You clearly have a different opinion which is fair enough.

There still doesnt see to be any appetite for it. Not only that but the distances to travel would be massive. I think one of the fears is that it would cost the Tyneside teams too much money to compete in the NEPL setup. I aksed APCC when the barn joined them about the NEPL and at that time they simply werent interested. If they came across a money bag then that might change but ultimately i dont hear any whispers about the Tyneside teams casting any sort of envious glances at the rest of the region.

If Swalwell arent interested then I would imagine no one else would be. Shotley Bridge would be the only other ones who might come to mind.

It's not just my opinion. The people who worked behind the scenes at my club didn't really care how durham county did and resented its interference

It's not just my opinion. The people who worked behind the scenes at my club didn't really care how durham county did and resented its interference
Fair enough. Free world and they are entitled to their opinion.

what it looked like to me from the outside when all of this carry on was going on was the the people who ran the Durham Senior League were stuck in the past and refused to move forward. They appeared to be quite happy to take on the rest of local cricket and ultimately lost. I'm not surprised that there is still bad feeling by a minority of people who once ran the show.

Fair enough. Free world and they are entitled to their opinion.

what it looked like to me from the outside when all of this carry on was going on was the the people who ran the Durham Senior League were stuck in the past and refused to move forward. They appeared to be quite happy to take on the rest of local cricket and ultimately lost. I'm not surprised that there is still bad feeling by a minority of people who once ran the show.
Moving forward for whose benefit that is the question.
Perhaps when they had been around a hundred years longer than the league which was trying to dictate to them they felt justified. They did not want to relegate teams from their league although they were quite even handed about this unlike the NEPL who was quite happy to do this unless it involved the academy.
As I said it was a league which had lasted for a 100 years and didn't see why it should be dictated to-interesting to see if the NEPL lasts as long.

Moving forward for whose benefit that is the question.

Perhaps when they had been around a hundred years longer than the league which was trying to dictate to them they felt justified. They did not want to relegate teams from their league although they were quite even handed about this unlike the NEPL who was quite happy to do this unless it involved the academy.

As I said it was a league which had lasted for a 100 years and didn't see why it should be dictated to-interesting to see if the NEPL lasts as long.
As I said earlier I'm not surprised that people were put out. If you have been influential in something, anything and they feel that they have been pushed out in something of a coup d'etat then that will never go down well. Perfectly understandable.

I take it you are from Durham City? If so, lovely ground. always got on well with the people from that club.

As I said earlier I'm not surprised that people were put out. If you have been influential in something, anything and they feel that they have been pushed out in something of a coup d'etat then that will never go down well. Perfectly understandable.

I take it you are from Durham City? If so, lovely ground. always got on well with the people from that club.
Not from the city but I agree with your comments

I'm not suggesting that they are not involved NOW. Simply that some of them do not know much about local cricket in the past. There was a bloke on here suggesting that the likes of horden or Philadelphia might not have been permitted to join the NEPL because you have to have a 3rd team - does that strike you as being well informed. I am attracting a lot of criticism for my comments that Washington and Brandon can't compare with durham City, Philadelphia or horden when it comes to previous success but that is clearly true.

Also no one has answered my point as to why Washington, was admitted to the premier league when Philly and horden were not given that Washington had never played in a senior league and horden and philly had enjoyed considerable success.

What's playing in a senior league got to do with anything??

Been involved with local cricket from a fairly early age as me da played at quite a few coast league clubs.

As far as I can see mate there is only one,not players!
Fair point. I stand corrected. Only one person making an arse of himself on this thread....

That is the system so no if they worked their way through the leagues you can't dispute it.. But I would rather we didn't have the system. There was nothing wrong with the way it was. Also some of the clubs I mentioned have not as you put it worked their way through they were gifted a place in the 2nd division of premier league at the expense of more established and successful clubs who deserved it more.

Absolute nonsense by the way! Why did the division only start with ten teams? Oh wait a minute is it because there were no other "traditional" teams wanted to be in it and didn't apply?!?! Yes that would be correct. Why not apply? Several reasons but in the main; 1. Couldn't compete with standard 2. Didn't meet ground criteria 3. Some crazy loyalty to older leagues that had seen there day... Yep, sounds about right.

So your Durham City's etc (who "deserved it more") only have themselves to blame for not being as ambitious, forward thinking and well prepared on and off field as the ones that did apply...

What's playing in a senior league got to do with anything??

Been involved with local cricket from a fairly early age as me da played at quite a few coast league clubs.

Fair point. I stand corrected. Only one person making an arse of himself on this thread....

Yeah cheers just would not want other ex senior players or even players from his same club to be tarred with the same brush.

Happy to correct it mate.

Can see some of his points,but totally let himself down by been disrespectful to the likes of Washington and Brandon.

I do actually believe the premier league is ran to help the county more than for the benefit of local cricket.

Whether that is a good or bad thing is another debate,however clubs who put the work in should always be allowed to work their way through the leagues if good enough,not blocked because of some misguided tradition thinking.

Wicketkeeper - you do realise it wasn't Washingon and/or Brandon that plotted the demise of the Senior League don't you?

Think you could do with seeing someone about your bitterness too. Can't be healthy.

Wicketkeeper - you do realise it wasn't Washingon and/or Brandon that plotted the demise of the Senior League don't you?

Think you could do with seeing someone about your bitterness too. Can't be healthy.

Not bitter at all. If I have said anything inaccurate then point it out. Voice of Fair Play seems to think it is disrespectful to say that Brandon and Washington have never before played in a senior league. It is not it is simply a fact. If he wants to be a sycophant it is up to him -me I prefer to be more honest. Is saying Hartlepool have never played in the premier league disrespectful. Show me where I have criticised any member of those clubs or their hard work and I will apologise.
I have simply said that it is ridiculous that 2 teams who have never played at a senior level should have been allowed to join the premier league at the expense of Horden, Philadelphia and Durham City all three of which have played in the senior league for years. It is the equivalent of Crook Town being allowed to join the football premier league instead of Sunderland.

I have also said that the NEPL bullied and threatened the Durham Senior League out of existence and its only concern is for the county and not the local clubs. Again this is a fact.

Can see some of his points,but totally let himself down by been disrespectful to the likes of Washington and Brandon.

If you want to be a sycophant it is up to you. I prefer a bit of honesty. How is it disrespectful to point out that the 2 teams you mention have never played in a senior league before. Is it disrespectful to say Hartlepool have never played at the top level.

Yeah cheers just would not want other ex senior players or even players from his same club to be tarred with the same brush.
You keep crawling up their arses mate

Absolute nonsense by the way! Why did the division only start with ten teams? Oh wait a minute is it because there were no other "traditional" teams wanted to be in it and didn't apply?!?! Yes that would be correct. Why not apply? Several reasons but in the main; 1. Couldn't compete with standard 2. Didn't meet ground criteria 3. Some crazy loyalty to older leagues that had seen there day... Yep, sounds about right.

So your Durham City's etc (who "deserved it more") only have themselves to blame for not being as ambitious, forward thinking and well prepared on and off field as the ones that did apply...

What teams that at that time were already playing in the highest league available were not able to compete or didn't meet ground criteria. You haven't a clue.
By the way the Senior League had not had its day and had been around for over 100 years producing many first class players.

The fact is the NEPL is simply there to benefit the county. Its hypocrisy in criticising the senior league for not relegating teams but actually making a rule that Durham Academy can not be relegated shows it up for what it is.

Last edited:
Whilst i liked the DSL the premier league is miles better IMO. Better ran, better teams and always something to play for (promotion & relegation)

The senior league got stale and was very hard to adapt to change voting rules and most teams having committees with older member's thinking of the past

The standard of cricket is getting better including second and third teams, most teams investing in professionals and all fighting for results

It was the best thing to happen for progressive clubs hoping to gain promotion to the top division

Not bitter at all. If I have said anything inaccurate then point it out. Voice of Fair Play seems to think it is disrespectful to say that Brandon and Washington have never before played in a senior league. It is not it is simply a fact. If he wants to be a sycophant it is up to him -me I prefer to be more honest. Is saying Hartlepool have never played in the premier league disrespectful. Show me where I have criticised any member of those clubs or their hard work and I will apologise.
I have simply said that it is ridiculous that 2 teams who have never played at a senior level should have been allowed to join the premier league at the expense of Horden, Philadelphia and Durham City all three of which have played in the senior league for years. It is the equivalent of Crook Town being allowed to join the football premier league instead of Sunderland.

I have also said that the NEPL bullied and threatened the Durham Senior League out of existence and its only concern is for the county and not the local clubs. Again this is a fact.

You keep crawling up their arses mate

What teams that at that time were already playing in the highest league available were not able to compete or didn't meet ground criteria. You haven't a clue.
By the way the Senior League had not had its day and had been around for over 100 years producing many first class players.

The fact is the NEPL is simply there to benefit the county. Its hypocrisy in criticising the senior league for not relegating teams but actually making a rule that Durham Academy can not be relegated shows it up for what it is.

Just trying to put a balanced view across.

Not crawling up anyone's arse mate,if you read the thread through the 3rd post was me stating I don't think it is fair that a county player should be able to play in the premier league as I feel in devalues the league when a county player could rock up for one or two games a season score 100 or take 5 wickets hence effecting the competition.

There is many people who seem to have taken offence at your posts,maybe next time you could your point across in a less arrogant way,and therefore have a better debate.

Whilst i liked the DSL the premier league is miles better IMO. Better ran, better teams and always something to play for (promotion & relegation)

The senior league got stale and was very hard to adapt to change voting rules and most teams having committees with older member's thinking of the past

The standard of cricket is getting better including second and third teams, most teams investing in professionals and all fighting for results

It was the best thing to happen for progressive clubs hoping to gain promotion to the top division

Depends which era you talking about mate the standard of the senior league in the past has in my opinion been equal to the premier league of today,to say premier league miles better I think inaccurate.

L

Not for the first time you are wrong. The senior league was easily equal to the premier league but without the pretentiousness. They didn't need people connected to the club with fancy titles like team manager or coach.
The Philadelphia team of the 70s with Greensword, Stuart wilkinson, and co would have beaten most if not all premier teams as would the horden team of the 90s with Parry, ward, Pendlington, Hill, Wilson etc. Also these teams could play on any wicket unlike the premier teams today who have to play on perfect wickets in case a potential durham cricketer gets injured.

Also you mention most premier league teams have pros. Were they as good as Richie Richardson, jimmy Adams! derrick parry.Philo Wallace, Wasim Raja I could go on.

The main difference between the 2 leagues is that the senior league was ran for its members whereas the premier league is run for the county. The county says jump and the premier league says how high.

Last edited:
Not for the first time you are wrong. The senior league was easily equal to the premier league but without the pretentiousness. They didn't need people connected to the club with fancy titles like team manager or coach.
The Philadelphia team of the 70s with Greensword, Stuart wilkinson, and co would have beaten most if not all premier teams as would the horden team of the 90s with Parry, ward, Pendlington, Hill, Wilson etc. Also these teams could play on any wicket unlike the premier teams today who have to play on perfect wickets in case a potential durham cricketer gets injured.

Also you mention most premier league teams have pros. Were they as good as Richie Richardson, jimmy Adams! derrick parry.Philo Wallace, Wasim Raja I could go on.

The main difference between the 2 leagues is that the senior league was ran for its members whereas the premier league is run for the county. The county says jump and the premier league says how high.

You cant compare the leagues 40 years apart. My point was the recent standaed of DSL was poor compared to the new nepl 1. The overseas in question were decades ago and with the money in international cricket now, you will never repeat the quality of overseas

Standard is a lot better and all club's investingin juniors, facilities and strengthen their teams. Great to see

You cant compare the leagues 40 years apart. My point was the recent standaed of DSL was poor compared to the new nepl 1. The overseas in question were decades ago and with the money in international cricket now, you will never repeat the quality of overseas

Standard is a lot better and all club's investingin juniors, facilities and strengthen their teams. Great to see

Are you for real. Of course the premier league was better than the recent standard of the DSL. It was bound to be as it took most of the best teams and players. Chester, hetton lyo

Remind me again which leagues did Washington win to work its wayareugh the pyramid to the 2nd division of the premier. Or we're they just gifted a place? It's a joke that the likes of them are in the premier league whilst clubs like Durham city who regularly provided many players for durham when they were a minor county are in the durham cricket league. Philadelphia and horden who virtually ruled the senior league in the 70s and 90s are also in the durham cricket league.

If you anything about the history of local cricket you would know which club it is.
When the last time you went to Durham City? With the greatest respect to the people who work hard for that club they arent even near the likes of Washington and Brandon in terms of setup, players and facilities. History means nothing look at all the clubs that have gone under and the few others that will do in the next 10years.
Washington and Brandon are producing quality players who will go onto play for Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back