Interesting Roy Keane fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good enough to take 27 points from 19 games and only losing 4 in that run. Hoy in 2 players who both would have singed for around 10 mil (yedlin and mvilla) and you have the basis of a decent team with around 20 mil still in the pot. Easy this management business.

I’m beginning to look like a Moyes apologist here and I’m not one. I’ve been hugely disappointed as I think he’s made awful signings and has so far shown no resemblance at all of the manager he was at Everton. I just think anyone who thinks he has come in and turned us from a good team – or even a team with potential – into what we are now, is wrong. Even if Allardyce had stayed he would have had a huge rebuilding job on his hands. We finished the season strongly but how many times have we done that? Most of us were happy at the time with the appointments of Poyet, Di Canio and Advocaat, based purely on what happened at the end of the previous season (Poyet arrived in October when we had 1 point. We took 24 points from the last 19 games to stay up).

Personally, I’m not really surprised at the start we have made. It is just in keeping with our usual cycle of finishing the season brilliantly then looking like dogshit until Christmas. It’s easy to define Allardyce’s reign by that final month and a half of the season but I remember well us going 2 months without a win before that, winning only 3 games in almost 5 months in the process. I remember us losing 5 games out of 5 in December, looking absolutely clueless in the process and Allardyce resorting to playing Danny Graham on the right wing. It wasn’t all the plain sailing some people are remembering it to be.

Keane inherited a club with even lower morale than we currently have. We had been relegated with a record low points and had lost our opening 5 games.

He had 3 days to make his signings in the Championship.

He had to sell the club to players when we were a yo-yo club and an embarrassment. Nugent, Baird and Mido all chose rank average clubs rather than cone to us.

He was also a new and inexperienced manager that made mistakes and was still learning which he admits himself.

Yet still he raised standards and professionalism at this club, lifted morale and made us proud of the club again. We overpaid for some players (although Quinn takes as much blame for that imo) but a lot of them did a job for us. Bardsley, Jones, Richardson, Cisse, Yorke, Connolly, Edwards and Wallace were all solid signings. Gordon was good and would have been excellent but for injuries. Malbranque is my favourite player to wear the shirt in the last 10 years.

We need more than a manager now, we need someone to lift the spirit of the club again and I'd have Keane back.

I’m beginning to look like a Moyes apologist here and I’m not one. I’ve been hugely disappointed as I think he’s made awful signings and has so far shown no resemblance at all of the manager he was at Everton. I just think anyone who thinks he has come in and turned us from a good team – or even a team with potential – into what we are now, is wrong. Even if Allardyce had stayed he would have had a huge rebuilding job on his hands. We finished the season strongly but how many times have we done that? Most of us were happy at the time with the appointments of Poyet, Di Canio and Advocaat, based purely on what happened at the end of the previous season (Poyet arrived in October when we had 1 point. We took 24 points from the last 19 games to stay up).

Personally, I’m not really surprised at the start we have made. It is just in keeping with our usual cycle of finishing the season brilliantly then looking like dogshit until Christmas. It’s easy to define Allardyce’s reign by that final month and a half of the season but I remember well us going 2 months without a win before that, winning only 3 games in almost 5 months in the process. I remember us losing 5 games out of 5 in December, looking absolutely clueless in the process and Allardyce resorting to playing Danny Graham on the right wing. It wasn’t all the plain sailing some people are remembering it to be.
Probably agree with most of that, but it did feel different the 2nd half of last season, we only lost 4 games and we're hard to beat.

Poyet escape came after a freak set of results. Under allardyce the performances were improving game on game. Obviously there was some blips like wba and palace at home, but we still picked up points.

We didn't have to sell kaboul, he was under contract like kone. Moyes/Short chose to let him go.
You honestly think we are getting Mvilla in Jan for free?? It was poor business not signing a premier league player for 7 million.
Two completely different circumstances, clearly. Otherwise we'd have done the same as we did with Kone. The M'Vila situation is pretty well documented.

Two completely different circumstances, clearly. Otherwise we'd have done the same as we did with Kone. The M'Vila situation is pretty well documented.
Both the same to me, 2 players wanted to leave, one was alowed the other wasn't.
Well documented where, the only sources that matter are SAFC, Mvilla or the russians. If you can show me where any of those 3 have said he is Deffo signing for free in Jan then that'll be cracking news.

That's why I said we could have signed them.

We could have signed both players for a total of 10-12m. That would have left us with another 18-20m to spend.

Yedlin was a decent player, no worse than Manquillo, plus he's only 22/23. He has pace and could have certainly done a job for us. We're now relying on a loan player who is rather average and we'll have to replace him at the end of the season anyhow. For £4m, Yedlin would not lose any value imo. It would have been a decent, sensible signing.

I know that’s why you said we could have signed them but the post I had responded to was specifically about the players Moyes had been left with ;)

I take your point on M’Vila even though I was one of them in the summer saying it would have been crazy to pay 10m Euros or however much it was to sign a player we had expected to get for next to nothing and actually could get for nothing in a few months. It worked out we’d have been paying payed him 450k-500k a week between September and January by paying it so there was a clear argument to tell them where to go but, with hindsight, we could definitely do with him now. That said, we did have him last season we’d only accrued 3 points by this stage so how much difference would he actually make in this team?

I don’t agree about Yedlin though. He was poor for most of the season and only began looking half decent in the run in. We’ve been burned like that too many times before with the likes of Coates and Vergini. Of course he is no worse than Manquinho but I don’t think he’s much better either. My own preference would have been to sign neither and set the bar higher – probably Allardyce’s preference too I reckon, given how no contact had been made to Spurs or Yedlin even before England came calling. I don’t hold any grudges against Moyes for not signing Yedlin

Both the same to me, 2 players wanted to leave, one was alowed the other wasn't.
Well documented where, the only sources that matter are SAFC, Mvilla or the russians. If you can show me where any of those 3 have said he is Deffo signing for free in Jan then that'll be cracking news.

One was for quite personal reasons and the other was simply for wanting more money. I wouldn't say they're the same at all and I certainly wouldn't wish for my employer to view the two circumstances as the same if I was in a similar situation.

As for M'Vila, quite a few on here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...9j69i57j0l4.2006j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The myth that keane failed is baffling :lol::lol: he is one our only success stories

Yup. He (and others - board members) put Sunderland back on the map even in the championship. The Irish pre season tours were brilliant, Sunderland were popular, likewise in Portugal we had TV coverage of our pre season games. He took us up (who can forget Luton away??), then kept us up. The players kept going until the end, Keane had his faults (we all do), but I'll always look back on his time with good memories. He was always good craic at the training ground and on pre season tours, not a bad word to say about him.

One was for quite personal reasons and the other was simply for wanting more money. I wouldn't say they're the same at all and I certainly wouldn't wish for my employer to view the two circumstances as the same if I was in a similar situation.

As for M'Vila, quite a few on here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m'vila+pre+contract&oq=m'vila&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.2006j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
The club said personal reasons, we don't know why he left. The personal reason could have been his lass didn't like the area. Nothing since has came out about what these personal reasons were.
There is none on that link, just loads of rubbish rehashed stories, more than likely taking direct from here.

The myth that keane failed is baffling :lol::lol: he is one our only success stories
Yeah he was given a biggish chunk of money to take a paper thin relegated team back into the premiership, then ensure we don't go down like most of the newly promoted sides did at that time. I say he did the job, indeed by hook or crook we've not got down since (until now).

Our squad has been so depleted over the last few years that we are back at the point the club was when Keene took over, only now 50 million does not buy you much. Chucking 28 million into the kitty after releasing 20 odd players is not really gonna get us up the table. Worryingly I'm not sure I would trust Moyes with more money though...

Its always overlooked that for all Keane wasted money, we got a lot of it back after he left.

We got our money back on Higginbotham, Chimbonda and Diouf, sold Chopra for £4m, profit on Edwards, Fulop and Jones (who we could have sold for £20m at one point), big profits on Whitehead, Collins and Leadbitter who were worth nothing before he took over. Even the likes of Stokes, McShane and Halford recouped most of their fees when Bruce sold them

It just proves it's not how much you spend but how you spend it. If Moyes only had £30m why did he sign 2 players for the future for £5.5m? Surely Moyes should have used that money to sign "shudder" Naismith or Ulloa rather wait until the last minute? Plus he paid over the odds for Ndong. Lorient would have taken £8m imo. Their president couldn't believe the fee we have them!

The club said personal reasons, we don't know why he left. The personal reason could have been his lass didn't like the area. Nothing since has came out about what these personal reasons were.
There is none on that link, just loads of rubbish rehashed stories, more than likely taking direct from here.
But by all means assume the worst and take none of that into account if it doesn't fit the story you're trying to tell. That's the problem with the mood on here at the moment, people are losing a lot of perspective.

Only complete muppets like Desfartes can't rationally appraise the job Keane did for us and it was a phenomenal one when everything is taken into account. He made some poor signings and he had flaws but ultimately he built the foundation for this 10 year spell in the top flight.
Comparing it to Moyes and his shambolic tenure to date is a completely futile and pointless exercise as they are totally different times/circumstances/eras.

Tbf I'd say Roy did succeed. We're an established :lol: prem club now but back then we had been relegated with a record lows points haul. He needed to build a squad to get us up and a squad to keep us up.

He successfully did both.

Love Keano me.
Only idiots would say he didn't suceed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back