Interesting Roy Keane fact

Status
Not open for further replies.
£30m isn't anywhere near a massive outlay. It's clear Moyes and co. didn't get anywhere near the players he wanted and some of that will have been down to our recent league finishes. I've a feeling it may have been different had Sam been here but even he was getting vocal before he left about the lack of transfer activity (though that may have just been to give a better excuse for why he was leaving).

Kaboul is clearly a massive miss for us but even he was pretty shocking before Sam arrived. That's nothing to do with Moyes. He was leaving anyway. Cattermole, Kirchhoff and Borini would all start and the back ups just aren't anywhere near as good, but that's the same at any club. Kahzri came back from the summer grossly and umprofessionally unfit. As for M'Vila, paying someone £7m for a player we can and are getting for free in January in poor business no matter which way you look at it. Some might want I argue differently but one player isn't the root cause of our problems.
Unless you have some proof, you don't know either of those things to be true at all.

Only complete muppets like Desfartes can't rationally appraise the job Keane did for us and it was a phenomenal one when everything is taken into account. He made some poor signings and he had flaws but ultimately he built the foundation for this 10 year spell in the top flight.
Comparing it to Moyes and his shambolic tenure to date is a completely futile and pointless exercise as they are totally different times/circumstances/eras.

If your house was constantly looking like sinking you'd probably blame the person who laid the foundations.

It just proves it's not how much you spend but how you spend it. If Moyes only had £30m why did he sign 2 players for the future for £5.5m? Surely Moyes should have used that money to sign "shudder" Naismith or Ulloa rather wait until the last minute? Plus he paid over the odds for Ndong. Lorient would have taken £8m imo. Their president couldn't believe the fee we have them!

Lorient turned down £10m and £12m before accepting the higher bid.

Iirc the line about their president being gobsmacked by the fee was in some mag publication.

But by all means assume the worst and take none of that into account if it doesn't fit the story you're trying to tell. That's the problem with the mood on here at the moment, people are losing a lot of perspective.
Suppose we will find out in a few months if he signs, I hope you're right

Unless you have some proof, you don't know either of those things to be true at all.
By the same score you don't know they aren't true and that's what the rumours were at the time. Again, don't let me take away the stick everyone's wanting to beat the club up with though.

By the same score you don't know they aren't true and that's what the rumours were at the time. Again, don't let me take away the stick everyone's wanting to beat the club up with though.
I'm not the one stating them as facts though.

Do you have any proof?

Edit. I'm not looking to beat the club. I'd love them both to be true.

I'm not the one stating them as facts though.

Do you have any proof?
Well there are very few things we can prove which are obviously private matters so asking for proof on the Kaboul transfer is a bit unrealistic. All I'm trying to do is as some balance and the news articles at the time do fit the rumours. As for M'Vila - same again but I suppose we'll find out sooner or later won't we?

Well there are very few things we can prove which are obviously private matters so asking for proof on the Kaboul transfer is a bit unrealistic. All I'm trying to do is as some balance and the news articles at the time do fit the rumours. As for M'Vila - same again but I suppose we'll find out sooner or later won't we?
I'm inclined to think the Kaboul thing was as a result of him not wanting to play for Moyes and possibly linked to M'Vila not coming back, as I'm inclined to think M'Vila's not coming back. I could be wrong on both counts but experience has taught me to expect the worse with this club as that's what we usually get and it is marginally less painful than expecting the best and being disappointed. Both are equally soul destroying. If you know different, fair play, please feel free to pm me any info you have and it will go no further.

What were both managers starting points?

Sums up my disdain for moyes perfectly.

He had to buy M'vila..... and a right back (could've actually bought Yedlin)

And the team would've been the same as it was.

We had a brutally awful transfer window.

In 2007/08 Keane spent 43.8 million, which is way more than Moyes got to spend in this close season, not allowing for the Sky money inflation!

Kind of puts the 'massive outlay' in the summer in perspective.

Keane's signings in full:
2006/07
Liam Miller. Free. Manchester United
Dwight Yorke. Free. Sydney FC
Graham Kavanagh. £500,000. Wigan
Stanislav Varga. £550,000. Celtic
David Connolly. £1.4m. Wigan
Ross Wallace. £550,000. Celtic
Lewis Nyatanga. Loan. Derby
Jonny Evans. Loan. Manchester United
Marton Fulop. £500,000. Tottenham
Carlos Edwards. £1.4m. Luton
Anthony Stokes. £2m. Arsenal
Danny Simpson. Loan. Manchester United
Stern John. Undisclosed. Coventry
2007/8
Craig Gordon. £9m. Hearts
Paul McShane. £2.5m. West Brom
Dickson Etuhu. £1.5m. Norwich
Kieran Richardson. £5.5m. Manchester United
Michael Chopra. £5m. Cardiff
Greg Halford. £2.5m. Reading
Roy O'Donovan. Undisclosed. Cork City
Russell Anderson. £1m. Aberdeen
Danny Higginbotham. £2.5m. Stoke
Kenwyne Jones. £6m. Southampton
Ian Harte. Free. Levante
Andrew Cole. Free. Portsmouth
Phil Bardsley. £2m. Manchester United
Rade Prica. £2m. FC Aalborg
Andy Reed. £4m. Charlton
Yves Mvoto-Mvoto. £300,000. Paris Saint-Germain
2008/9
Nick Colgan. Free. Ipswich
George McCartney. £4.5m. West Ham
Anton Ferdinand. £8m. West Ham
Pascal Chimbonda. Undisclosed. Tottenham
Teemu Tainio. £4m. Tottenham
Steed Malbranque. £5m. Tottenham
David Meyler. Undisclosed. Cork City
Djibril Cisse. Loan. Marseilles
David Healy. £1.2m. Fulham
El-Hadji Diouf. £2.5m. Bolton

Looking at that list as someone who took no interest in Sunderland at the time there probably isn't one player who furthered his career after signing for Sunderland. A terrible bit of transfer dealing.

Can't be bothered to read through the whole thread. Keane had to pay over the odds for a lot of players purely to attract them to sign. he kept us up, and this is the longest we've been in the top division for many a year. Overall, money well spent. The problem is too much chopping and changing since he left.

In 2007/08 Keane spent 43.8 million, which is way more than Moyes got to spend in this close season, not allowing for the Sky money inflation!

Kind of puts the 'massive outlay' in the summer in perspective.

Keane's signings in full:
2006/07
Liam Miller. Free. Manchester United
Dwight Yorke. Free. Sydney FC
Graham Kavanagh. £500,000. Wigan
Stanislav Varga. £550,000. Celtic
David Connolly. £1.4m. Wigan
Ross Wallace. £550,000. Celtic
Lewis Nyatanga. Loan. Derby
Jonny Evans. Loan. Manchester United
Marton Fulop. £500,000. Tottenham
Carlos Edwards. £1.4m. Luton
Anthony Stokes. £2m. Arsenal
Danny Simpson. Loan. Manchester United
Stern John. Undisclosed. Coventry
2007/8
Craig Gordon. £9m. Hearts
Paul McShane. £2.5m. West Brom
Dickson Etuhu. £1.5m. Norwich
Kieran Richardson. £5.5m. Manchester United
Michael Chopra. £5m. Cardiff
Greg Halford. £2.5m. Reading
Roy O'Donovan. Undisclosed. Cork City
Russell Anderson. £1m. Aberdeen
Danny Higginbotham. £2.5m. Stoke
Kenwyne Jones. £6m. Southampton
Ian Harte. Free. Levante
Andrew Cole. Free. Portsmouth
Phil Bardsley. £2m. Manchester United
Rade Prica. £2m. FC Aalborg
Andy Reed. £4m. Charlton
Yves Mvoto-Mvoto. £300,000. Paris Saint-Germain
2008/9
Nick Colgan. Free. Ipswich
George McCartney. £4.5m. West Ham
Anton Ferdinand. £8m. West Ham
Pascal Chimbonda. Undisclosed. Tottenham
Teemu Tainio. £4m. Tottenham
Steed Malbranque. £5m. Tottenham
David Meyler. Undisclosed. Cork City
Djibril Cisse. Loan. Marseilles
David Healy. £1.2m. Fulham
El-Hadji Diouf. £2.5m. Bolton

That's 2 seasons you plank

Keane did a fantastic job

Moyes is an idiot

Get rid he's finished

That team would beat the current team.

What they lacked in ability they made up for in effort and desire. Never seen a team of ours score so many late goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back