Gus Poyet blames under-strength squad for Black Cats' struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

It was, but nothing was reported at all, so I don't buy into it. Although I reckon it could have been a loan move for Welbeck, and chinese whispers played a part in it becoming a transfer.
I dunno. When a long-time poster not known for ITK bullshit pipes up from out of nowhere with a snippet, I tend to give it a decent amount of credence as there's nowt to be gained from a deliberate deception. Certainly, I'd make sure I didn't dismiss it. Plus it would fit in with my reading of the situation over the summer. Perhaps we don't have the full £14m but I'd wager we had enough in the kitty to allow us to make an impactful signing. I just reckon that Gus didn't see anyone he fancied - and therein lies the problem IMO.

He's complaining about not having enough players, not the ones we signed.
He's said transfers were nowt to do with him yet wanted plaudits for HIS decision not to sell Catts to Stoke in Jan & also said he was happy with HIS squad after we beat Stoke last week.

He should accept his share of the blame for the state of our squad as it isn't all down to the DoF. They are both to blame along with Byrne & Short.

We're all in this together? Not if your name is Gustavo f***ing Poyet.

:confused:

to be fair he is right

we have a squad that is a CB and probably another full back short, a creative CM, we never replaced Borini and we lack a quality CF

BUT he should not of came out and spoke about it
He stated that he wanted a squad of 23. We've got 21. He's only one defender and one midfielder/winger short. It's a bit rich of him to prattle on like this had much to do with Saturday.

I dunno. When a long-time poster not known for ITK bullshit pipes up from out of nowhere with a snippet, I tend to give it a decent amount of credence as there's nowt to be gained from a deliberate deception. Certainly, I'd make sure I didn't dismiss it. Plus it would fit in with my reading of the situation over the summer. Perhaps we don't have the full £14m but I'd wager we had enough in the kitty to allow us to make an impactful signing. I just reckon that Gus didn't see anyone he fancied - and therein lies the problem IMO.
Totally agree with that, and I think I posted something very similar on the thread where it was mentioned. It was mentioned later about it being Welbeck.

Mind I don't think we had the £14 mil spend.

Agreed.Equally however his buys have hardly done much.If Bridcutt is the level he is aiming at we aint got much hope.Not suggesting we give Gus the push but we all knew we were wowefully short of both numbers and more importantly quality before the season even started.
The problem for me is the Poyet was a Championship manager without Premiership experience. That what he's brought to Snderland. We would have been better off paying the money for an experienced and successful Premiership manager rather than wasting money on the likes of Graham, Altidore, Scocco, ...

We have a load of expensive players and players with pedigree, far more than we have from the championship.
We have lost money pretty much every year since Short has come in to the tune of £150m so not sure how that tallies with making money.

My point is how often do we see this pedigree on the pitch? it was about the big money being spent on players who do not live upto the price tag as its great to have these expensive players with pedigree if we were closer to the top of the table than the bottom of the table every season just saying we cock it up normally when spending the big money.

Wonder why our Texan Billionaire owner of Sunderland stays with us then if he is losing £150 mill a year it must be for the love of our fans and the club and his passion for football in the North East.

I am not calling for Short to go, just the reality of the situation is a businessman who runs the club on a budget business model to make £££££ in the cash richest league in Europe and this is not translating to success on the pitch.

feel that he hasnt had the necessary backing from the club to create his vision , as most agree that transfer window was shocking , what puzzles me is why he didnt walk , his internal differences with his dof are a bone of contention . We started this under Di Canio and it doesnt seem to work . Whats the point in a director of football when the players you bring in struggle to play it .

My point is how often do we see this pedigree on the pitch? it was about the big money being spent on players who do not live upto the price tag as its great to have these expensive players with pedigree if we were closer to the top of the table than the bottom of the table every season just saying we cock it up normally when spending the big money.

Wonder why our Texan Billionaire owner of Sunderland stays with us then if he is losing £150 mill a year it must be for the love of our fans and the club and his passion for football in the North East.

I am not calling for Short to go, just the reality of the situation is a businessman who runs the club on a budget business model to make £££££ in the cash richest league in Europe and this is not translating to success on the pitch.
You can speculate as to the reasons he is here, nobody really knows.
What you can't deny is it has cost him a lot of money. I don't see how he is going to make a significant profit on us, not that it really matters. It could be argued that this our most sustained succesful period on the pitch in over 50 years.
I don't think we are in too bad a situation to be honest, a player or two short but that's to be expected.

Just what i was told, but we made a big offer for a striker cum wide player late in window but he chose elsewhere.
Not sure if it is the money or not TBH. Was Borini all cash deal? Probs not.
Did we wait for Coates till after Borini? Probably.
Did we go after another forward after Bornin no go? Maybe.
Maybe we didnt go for both (if Borini was not all a cash deal) as we couldnt promise both games.

In the end we got neither.....or much defensive cover.
I think this window and its problems have beena collection of random factors that came togehter - one linked to another and having knock on affects.

All i know is that 'i was told' the bit about the forward bid and that the club are trying to run on as frugal/tight as possible, but are willing to spend big if a particular deal is very very 'right.'
I can believe all of the above is true mate. Agree on your appraisal of things, too. It makes sense in a way that they want to employ a strategy where they only want to spend decent money on players with quality and resale value. We've lived through the scattergun approaches of numerous previous managers after all. However, combine that with a manager who isn't keen on recruiting players who he doesn't have in-depth knowledge of - and is willing to employ his veto - and you've got a difficult situation for a club to pull off a full squad remodel in a single window.

Given time, the respective positions will bear fruit. Congerton has a year to put together the dossier for summer 2015, for instance, rather than the matter of weeks we had for 2014. That time should also help in getting Poyet comfortable with the range of players being pursued - which should help us to be much more flexible than we were this summer. However, to get to this point we need personnel that are in place for at least another year or two. Gus can help that by keeping it buttoned in the immediate aftermath of disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back