Gus Poyet blames under-strength squad for Black Cats' struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indeed. We're only one defender short of his ideal squad and two players overall. Unless the two players who were missing were Vincent Kompany and Cristiano Ronaldo I can't see them making too much difference to that debacle.

Time to shut your mouth Gus.

So you think our squad is good enough?

We are lacking serious quality. I said this throughout the summer. IIRC you disagreed and regularly had a go at me.

To be fair he's right. But it's him and Congerton that are to blame.

Our great escape masked over the fact that we were a poor team.

The money on Rodwell could have gone elsewhere, we chased Borini too long, not even depth. We only have 6 defenders for 4 positions.

But there's nee joy in pointing the finger, we have to make the best of it.

What was it that @Captain_Fishpaste said after Stoke? Oh aye, that Poyet isn't easy to like and that he quickly goes into self preservation mode when things go against him. Now, I agree that the timing of the article wasn't great (since we'd just won) but at least it avoids claims of knee-jerking, after the Southampton game I think we've seen exactly why people think like that. I don't dislike Poyet, but I can't really warm to him either and he is about as bad as bruce for passing the buck (albeit all managers do it to an extent). For the record I'm glad we've got him and we should give him time, but it is a shame to see this side of him come out again

I'd blame his 1 tactic for every situation approach. It's embarrassing how other teams can slightly tweak during the game and start dominating then Poyets just sitting their doing fuck all to counter it. When we do have momentum he makes genius subs like Jozy on for Johnson (at Burnley) and gives the opposition the innitive.

If he didn't think the squad was strong enough he shouldnt have fannied about with the team in the cup too.

Teams are doing better with worse squads, just look at WBA, Villa and Leicester.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd blame his 1 tactic for every situation approach. It's embarrassing how other teams can slightly tweak during the game and start dominating then Poyets just sitting their doing fuck all to counter it. When we do have momentum he makes genius subs like Jozy on for Johnson (at Burnley) and gives the opposition the innitive.

If he didn't think the squad was strong enough he shouldnt have fannied about with the team in the cup too.

Teams are doing better with worse squads, just look at WBA, Villa and Leicester.

There.

You're welcome.

(PS agree with most of this).

What was it that @Captain_Fishpaste said after Stoke? Oh aye, that Poyet isn't easy to like and that he quickly goes into self preservation mode when things go against him. Now, I agree that the timing of the article wasn't great (since we'd just won) but at least it avoids claims of knee-jerking, after the Southampton game I think we've seen exactly why people think like that. I don't dislike Poyet, but I can't really warm to him either and he is about as bad as bruce for passing the buck (albeit all managers do it to an extent). For the record I'm glad we've got him and we should give him time, but it is a shame to see this side of him come out again
surely every manager makes excuses not the case of liking him or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back