Your first proper job

Notarianni ice cream van man around the estates on the north side. (Greensleeves) Followed a summer later by platers helper in Thompsons. Lifetime of memories, stories and lessons learned from both.

Golf ball collector. They gave me a golf buggy to drive in my first hour of working there. I drove it into a wall.
I was banished to pick golf balls out of brambles at the bottom of the driving range.
It was class, 5 hours graft in the baking sun working on my short game.

Worked in Croxdale petrol station when I was 17. Its closed now.

13 hour shift on Saturday and 13 hours on Sunday. I was always absolutely hanging hungover, both days. Took my portable tv to pass the time.

Only had one famous customer I know of, Kate Adie. Fine lady I'm sure we all agree. She was driving a rather disappointing Nissan Primera.

Im not in the same profession.

Started work initially for a publishing company, sending out magazines dealing with all things financial. I was thick as fuck as a couple of people on here can testify to! Started reading the mags then ended up working for a German bank for 20 plus years! Amazing what you learn on the hoof, blagged my way through it to end up as a manager, now I work freelance as a fucker upper for the bank testing out and deliberately wrecking their new software to make sure everything is ready to go live.

Taking the orders and serving sunday dinners at a pub in Peterlee.
Then being trained to go onto the bar once I turned 18. Money was pretty pants looking back, but at least I had one marketable skill to help pay me through Uni and for I couldn't get a job afterwards.

Back