Your first proper job

ATS

Striker
What was it (not paper rounds or stuff like that) and how old were you? Are you still in the same profession or did you change? What did you spend your first pay packet on?

Mine was working in Littlewoods restaurant in the town. I was 15 and it started out as a Saturday job / school holidays, then full time after I left college. I'm now (and have been for 24 years) a full time carer for my disabled daughter.

Worked in benefits and revenues for Easington District Council processing benefit claims, straight out my apprenticeship there. My first pay was actually put in the bank while I was in Portugal, so it all went on spends there. Still got the payslip! I'm now in QA in the Nuclear Industry.

RB Ledgers, Block 8, (now demolished) very handy for the Newton.
Only stayed less than 3 Years but eventually went back as self employed Contracting Trainer and enjoyed travelling country delivering training.

On a farm. Got the princely sum of £42 for a week's work and spent it on crisps, a few pints and a Marillion cassette (showing my age here)
Changed profession 3 times since, including 30 years in telecomms

What was it (not paper rounds or stuff like that) and how old were you? Are you still in the same profession or did you change? What did you spend your first pay packet on?

Mine was working in Littlewoods restaurant in the town. I was 15 and it started out as a Saturday job / school holidays, then full time after I left college. I'm now (and have been for 24 years) a full time carer for my disabled daughter.
Part time Christmas job at Next aged 16. The boxing day sale put me off retail jobs completely.

Worked in factories/warehouses since. I'm not cut out to be dealing with the general public everyday which ruled out alot of jobs.
Glass collector my local pub

6 free pints per shift
Free pints or they paid you in pints instead of cash?

Last edited:
Had a part time job at Currys in the summer holidays when I had just turned 16 (would have been 1970), when the shop was on Saddler St. Used to go out on the delivery van humping tellys & fridges around - nee wonder I've got a fkn bad back now like. Occasionally we would go round to knock on doors where people had bought stuff on the never-never and then stopped paying. It was a bit of an eye-opener how many posh houses we would go to where they would pretend no one was in when we called when clearly someone was in the house but they had spotted the van pull up outside.

Despatch clerk at a chemical factory in Jarra . Started in 86 as yts then they gave me full time job when me yts was up. Stayed about 22 years till i was made redundant was a shift boilerman when i finished.

My first permanent contracted job was the NHS one in the 80s with a couple of training variations linked to other related departments that I held until until ill-health retirement. My weekly pay started around £100.

Last edited:
First job with a proper pay packet

environmentAl hygienist

or better known as street cleaner Stockton council

£250 a week spent on dubious women of the opposite sex

Last edited:

Back