Your first proper job

Barman at ramside, the golf clubhouse, in between uni. Nee idea of pay, don’t know how people remember stuff like that

I did 3 years at eden vale then finished at the sulgrave depot. Hated every minute of plumbing though I had some right laughs. I joined the fire service in 1995. Spent 26 years at the pointy end and I’m now spending the last 4 years of my career as a fire safety officer. It’s mental but I love it.
Hero to many Bryn

Was a weekend maid at a prominent hotel in Durham during collage so 17/18. Would regularly come in hungover.

Got a warning for watching the rugby world cup final where j Wilkinson ticked to victory, and not doing any work.

Next week I did the same with who Framed Roger rabbit. Got sacked. Lasted about 2 months.

First one that lasted was after uni was 22, graduated with an accounting degree in the year of the massive 2008 financial crash. A lot of the jobs I applied for were withdrawn.

Ended up taking an admin role in benwell. Canny commute from hetton. 14k per annum. Loved it.

Which was a canny wage for what it was back then. Contrast that to my first accounting contract with a big 4 practice. 12.5k robbing shits.

Last edited:
15 years old.

Straight from school - having passed the ‘exams’ - on an hour long special bus to the Ministry (DHSS) office complex in Longbenton.

Computers didn’t exist. So handwritten ledgers abounded. Labour intensive. Soul destroying.

But Mam said it was a good pension.

Did I say I was 15?

YTS was first ‘proper’ job after milk/paper rounds and an hour after school in Woolies. Was for Sedgefield Borough Council at Green Lane in Spenny, £29 a week in 1983, also got £11 bus fares a week and always blagged a lift. Meet some nice folks, spent a while in architect dept and lads fan (Ian?) got me and mates on a bus to Leicester away which as a 16 year old was an eye opener. Knew I would never get kept on, getting sent off in the inter-dept 5aside comp by George Courtney didn’t help, left in May to join the RAF. Back now in an architectural type role as a planning consultant.

Morrison’s rotisserie counter. Lasted a day after they made me stick my hand in the rotating oven to reattach a chicken that was falling off with no gloves on so I got fat burns on my arm.

£1.98ph - didn’t make enough to cover the cheap pair of shoes I’d bought for work.

Had summer jobs at the local fairground. Used to get the housing associations in for their days out. We were give sticks to defend our stock when the scousers were due.

First proper job after uni was for Northern Electric, trading electricity. That lasted about a year. I’m a bid writer for a civils firm now.

Barman at ramside, the golf clubhouse, in between uni. Nee idea of pay, don’t know how people remember stuff like that

I have no idea of my hourly rate now as I'm salaried but I will always remember my first job stacking shelves in Gateway was £1.44 an hour in 1986.

Call centre worker for an insurance company at 17 years old.

Still at the same company over 20 years on, albeit in a much different role. Whenever the time comes I have to work somewhere else, I'll be legitimately terrified.

1983, yts scheme as a greenkeeper at a golf club in Donny, £25 a week. £10 board and the rest was saved bar a couple of choccy bars as a treat. Got kept on as the assisant pro golfer after as i showed some skill on the course, £35 pw with all the golf i could manage for free.

Golf course changed hands i was out of work (new pro had a son who took my position, t’wat) and took a job in a petrol station just so i was earning. 34 years i worked for the same oil company making my way up the ladder until i retired last year at 55. I was gutted coming out of golf, thought it was the end of the world when in fact it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Last edited:
Apprentice motorbike mechanic. I was 16 and my first pay packet was £15.01. Lasted 6 months. Was never really an apprentice. No training at all.

Back