Your first proper job

Apprentice spark, think my first wage was about 68 quid, no doubt spent on e’s and beer. Luckily didn’t have to pay board especially as e’s were like20 quid each😂 ….did get a works van within about 2 months tho, as the fella I worked with was a complete pisshead so drop him off at the pub finishing work and pick him up in the morning as he was always hanging😂

Last edited:
Did paper rounds and milk rounds but Apprentice Mechanic at Cowies on Trimdon Street. Just before health and safety kicked in and apprentices became lazy, entitled, earphone wearing layabouts. About £35 a week but used to get topped up by some government scheme they had going to in around the North East at the time. I got a giro type book and had to go to the Post Office to claim the additional £35 every week.

Now, it’s currently 06:00am in Salt Lake City and I’m off to a race track to train some US people how to drive a 905bhp car around a dynamic handling circuit.

Last edited:
Did paper rounds and milk rounds but Apprentice Mechanic at Cowies on Trimdon Street. Just before health and safety kicked in and apprentices became lazy, entitled, earphone wearing layabouts. About £35 a week but used to get topped up by some government scheme they had going to in around the North East at the time. I got a giro type book and had to go to the Post Office to claim the additional £35 every week.

Now, it’s currently 06:00am in Salt Lake City and I’m off to a race track to train some US people how to drive a 905bhp car around a dynamic handling circuit.
I did my school work experience at Cowies but probably before your time, around 78/9... worked with a smashing lad who had the same name as the new town about 10 miles down the A19 😄

Office junior at a Solicitors....about 1990? think I started on like £7K a year, ending up shagging the Managing Partners Secretary who was twice my age which made up for crap pay.....moved into finance and stayed there in different companies ever since...

YTS for Birtley Council. My main responsibility was cutting the bowling greens every other day.
Loved it. Those bowling greens were immaculate. Like Wembley on Cup Final day.

I was an industrious and entrepreneurial little sod as a kid. Helped out on a milk round couple mornings a week, paper round in the afternoons after school. Summer I’d pick spuds for a local farmer, then collect up a stack of scrap wood from an old mill nearby. Beams, planks etc which i’d chop and sell door to door during autumn and winter as fire lighter sticks. First proper job when left school at 16 was picking orders in a biscuit warehouse. £50 a week. First pay check my mother took 20 of that for food and board. Spent some of the rest on a pair of puma trainers. 35 years ago, oddly still remember that.

First job 16 year old sweet factory in blyth £15 a week take home. Enough to gan to matches home and away Next job council for a year, then pitman for 16 years ended up 20+ years NHS. Happily retired last year.

Stacking shelves in Presto supermarket while I was at college. £3 odd an hour. I remember when they called a meeting to say the store was closing. I was delighted as they gave me about £500 redundancy which comfortably allowed me to go to a good few away games. This was 1992/93.

Fuck me. 30 years! Where did that go?

My first proper job aged 17 was in the National Westminster Bank in Vine Place Sunderland. I started in September 1972.
It was a small branch with only 6 staff. Most of the customers were students from the Poly.
I only stayed there 9 months then I went to Uni.
From my first month's salary of £48 I bought a £30 suit from Victoria and Albert in Holmeside.
Bank opening hours then were 9.30 to 3.30. I worked 9-5. After the head cashier (Mr Byram) had reconciled his till at about 4pm, I used to deliver the punched out tape of transactions to the main branch in Fawcett Street, then I was free to go home.

Last edited:
Worked in benefits and revenues for Easington District Council processing benefit claims, straight out my apprenticeship there. My first pay was actually put in the bank while I was in Portugal, so it all went on spends there. Still got the payslip! I'm now in QA in the Nuclear Industry.
I worked in the dole office after they couldnt
Find me a job. I was a Saturday girl in a cracking record shop, which was my real first job.

National Savings and Investments at Durham full time during summer when I was a student. Did about 8 weeks when I was 19 then four months the year after going into my final year at uni.

Loved it. Mint craic with people and we’d often sneak in a few pints on Friday afternoon. Fighting Cocks usually.

Walkers Crisps for me as well to support my studies during summer months.

Marvelled at the 10 most frequently reported foreign objects found in a packet of crisps!! Also observed at close hand the ‘tricks’ performed by certain staff to grab all of those little blue wrappers that had £5 and £10 notes in.

Character building and certainly helped me to ensure I stuck in with my studies.
We must have been there around the same time. I was there around 00/01

It’s stayed with me forever. I don’t mean any offence to anyone here but I done everything I could to ensure I never work in a production line

We must have been there around the same time. I was there around 00/01

It’s stayed with me forever. I don’t mean any offence to anyone here but I done everything I could to ensure I never work in a production line
Will have been. Used to finish my shift and check the next days rota to see if you were on. Did a little fist pump if you’d been omitted.

Back