your England team for Sri Lanka & Team for ashes

Momentum for Roy is gathering it seems, will see tomorrow

Its an interesting theory like, get the most talented cricketers you have in the country in the squad, then work it out from there

The thing I'd say is how can Ali bat number 3 if he has bowled 30 overs in 35 degree heat? Its not fair or realistic

I read a great article on the Wisden last night, might make a thread, which argued Stokes should bat 3 based on the research they had done, and his technique, which is the most classic in the England middle order. It made the same point though, if he is bowling so many overs he can't bat there

Ali needs to bat down the order if he is bowling, just for physical and mental reasons.
Yea. I can recall Atherton saying similar on Sky.

But where you bat is surely down to a combination of factors. Technique is one but temperament is another. Stokes can clearly concentrate for long periods but it looks like he's going against his natural inclination, he's not a Cook or a Gooch for instance and as we've said that is where our selection difficulties are.

Yea. I can recall Atherton saying similar on Sky.

But where you bat is surely down to a combination of factors. Technique is one but temperament is another. Stokes can clearly concentrate for long periods but it looks like he's going against his natural inclination, he's not a Cook or a Gooch for instance and as we've said that is where our selection difficulties are.

I don't think he is a rash as people think, I do think the bowling impacts his batting. Stokes is a pretty classic batsman really when he wants to be

I get you want people playing naturally but its overused like, sometimes you need to adapt and knuckle down.

It won't happen, I think Roy will end up number 3, not saying I agree with that mind

Bump. Bored so haway love a line up prediction, very very tough to choose at the minute so many options. I really can't choose between Woakes and Curran. Think Woakes is a better bowler at the minute. Seems so hard to leave out Curran though. Broad seems to be under pressure on this board but he has to play for me, think he will win us a game at some point. I also don't think its 100% nailed on Foakes plays every game, the squad needs to be flexible, maybe he is better suited abroad? Gone for Roy as the management want him in, its only a matter of time, I think he has so much talent he'd just find a way, like Buttler, to score runs.

Also Rashid and Leach missing out, although one will be in the squad. Very tough! Plus Archer too!

Roy
Jennings
Bairstow
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Curran
Broad
Anderson

Roy is an amazing one day cricketer, but i can never see him playing tests. I know people think he could do the warner role, but he hasn't got the temperament. Id love him to prove me wrong.

Bump. Bored so haway love a line up prediction, very very tough to choose at the minute so many options. I really can't choose between Woakes and Curran. Think Woakes is a better bowler at the minute. Seems so hard to leave out Curran though. Broad seems to be under pressure on this board but he has to play for me, think he will win us a game at some point. I also don't think its 100% nailed on Foakes plays every game, the squad needs to be flexible, maybe he is better suited abroad? Gone for Roy as the management want him in, its only a matter of time, I think he has so much talent he'd just find a way, like Buttler, to score runs.

Also Rashid and Leach missing out, although one will be in the squad. Very tough! Plus Archer too!

Roy
Jennings
Bairstow
Root
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Ali
Curran
Broad
Anderson
Think you’re being very unfair on Burns mate. Opening up against spin is a totally different ball game (although Jennings finds opening against pace worse it seems!)

Roy is an amazing one day cricketer, but i can never see him playing tests. I know people think he could do the warner role, but he hasn't got the temperament. Id love him to prove me wrong.

You might not think he can but he’s going to play tests very soon, either in the windies or the ashes

Think you’re being very unfair on Burns mate. Opening up against spin is a totally different ball game (although Jennings finds opening against pace worse it seems!)

No preference between him or Jennings like, I just think Roy will play soon, they want him at 3 but with Bairstow and Foakes that looks hard

Only went with Jennings as he does have 2 test 100s which should count for something

Last edited:
You might not think he can but he’s going to play tests very soon, either in the windies or the ashes

No preference between him or Jennings like, I just think Roy will play soon, they want him at 3 but with Bairstow and Foakes that looks hard

Only went with Jennings as he does have 2 test 100s which should count for something

I don't think he can either but he will probably get his chance soon. He will fail though IMO, certainly in the Ashes.
Ive got more confidence in Burns tbh

Two test hundreds against spin though. He's done nothing to suggest he won't be a walking wicket against Starc and his mates next summer.

I don't think he can either but he will probably get his chance soon. He will fail though IMO, certainly in the Ashes.
Ive got more confidence in Burns tbh

I think he can do it like, his red ball record is pretty good for someone who dips in and out. Surprised people have so little faith in him. Look at Buttler.

Two test hundreds against spin though. He's done nothing to suggest he won't be a walking wicket against Starc and his mates next summer.

Yeah not disagreeing like, be interesting to see how he does in windies against Roach and Gabriel who are good bowlers

Basically they are trying to get runs early. I'd rather see us build an innings and score 400 hundred plus in the first. Roy can play one way only, when it comes off its great. He frustrates me, hes got the talent but his shot selection is shocking. I am a purist when it comes to cricket mind, nowt better than a forward defence.

I think he can do it like, his red ball record is pretty good for someone who dips in and out. Surprised people have so little faith in him. Look at Buttler.

Yeah not disagreeing like, be interesting to see how he does in windies against Roach and Gabriel who are good bowlers

I think Hales is a better equivalent IF Roy is brought in to open. Roach and Gabriel are more than decent bowlers but they are short of being absolute world class and if he is going to do it anywhere its in that series in the WI that have the flattest pitches around. (Edit just realized you were talking about Jennings - same point applies I suppose)
Roy is confident but when world class bowlers are hitting the same spot 6 balls an over with a moving ball you aren't going to get very far without fantastic patience. When hales was picked he had an early 100 against a weak Sri Lanka attack but was completely unable to play his normal game against world class opening bowlers. I think it will be the same with Roy - more than happy to be proved wrong. I' not completely against him getting a chance - everyone who has deserved a go has had a go and you never know.

Last edited:
Do they use the duke ball in the W.I.
I think last time they were using the Kookaburra with extra layers of lacquer - hence all the red marks seem on the bats.

Just picked this up of Wikipedia ….White Kookaburra balls are used in one-day and Twenty20 international matches, while red Kookaburras are used in test matches played in most of the ten test-playing nations, except for the West Indies and England, who use Dukes, and India, who use SG balls.

Last time they were certainly using extra lacquer though.

Last edited:
I think Hales is a better equivalent IF Roy is brought in to open. Roach and Gabriel are more than decent bowlers but they are short of being absolute world class and if he is going to do it anywhere its in that series in the WI that have the flattest pitches around. (Edit just realized you were talking about Jennings - same point applies I suppose)
Roy is confident but when world class bowlers are hitting the same spot 6 balls an over with a moving ball you aren't going to get very far without fantastic patience. When hales was picked he had an early 100 against a weak Sri Lanka attack but was completely unable to play his normal game against world class opening bowlers. I think it will be the same with Roy - more than happy to be proved wrong. I' not completely against him getting a chance - everyone who has deserved a go has had a go and you never know.

Hales never scored a 100 mind, but take your point. You make some fair points, I just think we are seeing a lot of CC players come in and they are phased, pressure gets to them. Someone like Roy has played infront of full houses all over the world. He gets some unreal write ups from the likes of KP etc. I think he is a unique talent, I reckon he might work out a method for test cricket.

I would prefer him not to open, but they are the only positions free

My prediction is that by the ashes, or during the ashes, we will see an unorthodox opener, whether that is Roy, Bairstow or whoever

I just think they are sick of just picking the best CC run getters, Smith is thinking differently, I am not totally convinced he wanted to pick Burns.

The last few summers in England, patience hasn't got you anywhere, the ball has being doing so much, we missed patience in Australia, but in England, basically get 350 and you are in the game, or on top.

Its an entertainment sport and the thought of Roy and Archer in the ashes excites me

Basically they are trying to get runs early. I'd rather see us build an innings and score 400 hundred plus in the first. Roy can play one way only, when it comes off its great. He frustrates me, hes got the talent but his shot selection is shocking. I am a purist when it comes to cricket mind, nowt better than a forward defence.

I know what you mean but he isnt as aggressive in the CC as he is in the one dayers

The point being, is really going to score less than Jennings? Not sure he will.

Last edited:
Hales never scored a 100 mind, but take your point. You make some fair points, I just think we are seeing a lot of CC players come in and they are phased, pressure gets to them. Someone like Roy has played infront of full houses all over the world. He gets some unreal write ups from the likes of KP etc. I think he is a unique talent, I reckon he might work out a method for test cricket.

My prediction is that by the ashes, or during the ashes, we will see an unorthodox opener, whether that is Roy, Bairstow or whoever

I just think they are sick of just picking the best CC run getters, Smith is thinking differently, I am not totally convinced he wanted to pick Burns.

The last few summers in England, patience hasn't got you anywhere, the ball has being doing so much, we missed patience in Australia, but in England, basically get 350 and you are in the game, or on top.

Its an entertainment sport and the thought of Roy and Archer in the ashes excites me

I know what you mean but he isnt as aggressive in the CC as he is in the one dayers

Aye good post. It seems Roy is likely to get a shot and it fits in with Smith's brave selections. Lets hope he is as successful as Buttler.

Fair point, whatever happens its going to be exciting. Going forward its good see that Root and the selectors have a plan to play attacking cricket.
Like I said previously I'm a purist when it comes to test cricket, and for me test cricket at its best is when it's a real contest between bat and ball. I'd love to see Roy do well and it will be a positive selection, if and when it happens.

Fair point, whatever happens its going to be exciting. Going forward its good see that Root and the selectors have a plan to play attacking cricket.
Like I said previously I'm a purist when it comes to test cricket, and for me test cricket at its best is when it's a real contest between bat and ball. I'd love to see Roy do well and it will be a positive selection, if and when it happens.

I’m an absolute purist too, but England are so successful at home playing this way, can’t knock em really

I’m an absolute purist too, but England are so successful at home playing this way, can’t knock em really
Its going to be so exciting; this series you can start to see that route is contr
I think last time they were using the Kookaburra with extra layers of lacquer - hence all the red marks seem on the bats.

Just picked this up of Wikipedia ….White Kookaburra balls are used in one-day and Twenty20 international matches, while red Kookaburras are used in test matches played in most of the ten test-playing nations, except for the West Indies and England, who use Dukes, and India, who use SG balls.

Last time they were certainly using extra lacquer though.
Whats your opinion on this? I just don't understand why we don't have a standardised ball, the dukes would be mine of choice, it just makes for a much better contest. I just think going forward in terms getting audience's at grounds and on tv we need to sort this out.

Its going to be so exciting; this series you can start to see that route is contr

Whats your opinion on this? I just don't understand why we don't have a standardised ball, the dukes would be mine of choice, it just makes for a much better contest. I just think going forward in terms getting audience's at grounds and on tv we need to sort this out.

absolutely

The cricket in England is by far the best to watch in the world, i think our batsman get a tad too much stick as they play half their cricket in the toughest conditions

I also like cricket in Asia when it spins from ball one

I'm repeating myself but the last ashes was one of the worst series I have ever seen, the only game with any entertainment was the day night one as the bowlers were in the game

Back