your England team for Sri Lanka & Team for ashes

Be ridiculous if Jennings keeps his place, just totally unfair. Mike Selvey made a good point on twitter that Sri Lanka is similar to Bangladesh in conditions, a totally unique place to place test cricket conditions wise, and you don't need traditional openers. He suggested Vince and Livingstone to open.

I wouldn't go that for, but its a interesting idea. I'd like Vince in the side, I think he plays spin well, and would be good to get another right hander in the side.

Leach has to play, amazed everyone doesn't have him in their team.

Seems more and more obvious Buttler will end up at 5, seems the journos are coming round to it.

Burns
Vince
Livingstone
Root (c)
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow (Wk)
Curran
Ali
Leach
Anderson

I agree with Vaughan on this, you don't need 6 bowlers, one just ends up standing around, and the captain bowls him because he feels he has to

Livingstone did really well on the A tour of Sri Lanka, and got some 100s.

Anderson is still our best bowler away from home first name on the team sheet.

They won't do this, they will have Ali at 3 and have 6 bowlers with Rashid.

Be ridiculous if Jennings keeps his place, just totally unfair. Mike Selvey made a good point on twitter that Sri Lanka is similar to Bangladesh in conditions, a totally unique place to place test cricket conditions wise, and you don't need traditional openers. He suggested Vince and Livingstone to open.

I wouldn't go that for, but its a interesting idea. I'd like Vince in the side, I think he plays spin well, and would be good to get another right hander in the side.

Leach has to play, amazed everyone doesn't have him in their team.

Seems more and more obvious Buttler will end up at 5, seems the journos are coming round to it.

Burns
Vince
Livingstone
Root (c)
Buttler
Stokes
Bairstow (Wk)
Curran
Ali
Leach
Anderson

I agree with Vaughan on this, you don't need 6 bowlers, one just ends up standing around, and the captain bowls him because he feels he has to

Livingstone did really well on the A tour of Sri Lanka, and got some 100s.

Anderson is still our best bowler away from home first name on the team sheet.

They won't do this, they will have Ali at 3 and have 6 bowlers with Rashid.
Livingstone is in no kind of form this season.

Maybe Hildreth … scored a ton of runs over the years … used to batting on the Taunton beach. It's difficult to pick a top order batsman - if Vince is good enough to open why not Pope at 3?

Livingstone is in no kind of form this season.

Maybe Hildreth … scored a ton of runs over the years … used to batting on the Taunton beach. It's difficult to pick a top order batsman - if Vince is good enough to open why not Pope at 3?

Yeah not massively pro Liv, was just putting ideas out

My main point being, an extra batsman at 3 with Ali down the order

You don't need 6 bowlers.

Quality 100 for Bell at 3 today

If I’m being brutally honest with myself, that’s who I’d pick, he still has the fire, I don’t see why he can’t play

Not picking Jimmy would be daft imo. If there's a man to phase out its Broad.

Not picking a bloke who's still likely to be our main bowler for the next two years doesn't make sense. The whole point of test cricket is to win games, not to give yourself a fractionally better chance of winning a game two years down the line.

Burns
Stoneman
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

Pointless blooding kids in the subcontinent IMO, do more harm than good at that stage of their career. Take Wood for an extra pace option.

Burns
Stoneman
Jennings
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Rashid
Broad
Anderson

Pointless blooding kids in the subcontinent IMO, do more harm than good at that stage of their career. Take Wood for an extra pace option.

I don't see anyone in their right mind can picking Rashid over Leach

That is the exact same attack that was absolutely useless in India, not good enough in UAE

Leach has to play, and we need a different pace option

I respect its all about opinions but Ali and Rashid don't work as a spin duo abroad, this has been proven time and time again.

I don't see anyone in their right mind can picking Rashid over Leach

That is the exact same attack that was absolutely useless in India, not good enough in UAE

Leach has to play, and we need a different pace option

I respect its all about opinions but Ali and Rashid don't work as a spin duo abroad, this has been proven time and time again.
At some point we have to give Leach a go. He's a good bowler and also a left arm option providing variation. So if we have to give him a go, why not now?

At some point we have to give Leach a go. He's a good bowler and also a left arm option providing variation. So if we have to give him a go, why not now?

He is the best spinner in CC and takes stacks of wickets on turning pitches

However my main point is we have had the attack of Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Ali and Rashid many times abroad and it doesn't work.

Its just doing the same thing over and over again

Yes, Ali and Leach should play every game. I don't see a better option other than Rashid after that. SL will prepare pitches that turn from the start as obviously that is their best chance of winning so:
Burns, A N Other, Ali, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Rashid, Broad, Leach, Anderson. The A N Other doesn't necessarily have to be an opener but has to play spin well as they'll be bowling it early in the innings. If their 'opening' spinners are right arm off-breaks, I'd be swapping Buttler for Ali.

Momentum for Roy is gathering it seems, will see tomorrow

Its an interesting theory like, get the most talented cricketers you have in the country in the squad, then work it out from there

Yes, Ali and Leach should play every game. I don't see a better option other than Rashid after that. SL will prepare pitches that turn from the start as obviously that is their best chance of winning so:
Burns, A N Other, Ali, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow, Rashid, Broad, Leach, Anderson. The A N Other doesn't necessarily have to be an opener but has to play spin well as they'll be bowling it early in the innings. If their 'opening' spinners are right arm off-breaks, I'd be swapping Buttler for Ali.

The thing I'd say is how can Ali bat number 3 if he has bowled 30 overs in 35 degree heat? Its not fair or realistic

I read a great article on the Wisden last night, might make a thread, which argued Stokes should bat 3 based on the research they had done, and his technique, which is the most classic in the England middle order. It made the same point though, if he is bowling so many overs he can't bat there

Ali needs to bat down the order if he is bowling, just for physical and mental reasons.

Last edited:

Back