You may call it a tin-pot trophy now - but would you be at Wembley 31st March 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No, bit embarrassing, we should have got knocked out asap. But owners see a few quid to be made.

So should we not go to league games as its "embarrassing" we are in League One? We are where we are and as League One teams compete in the EFL Trophy we compete in it. Hopefully it will be the last time but I suspect all this looking down the nose at the EFL Trophy is just fashionable posturing. Sure, I agree that Premiership and Championship B teams should not be it, no amount of winging and boycotting (as other clubs fans have done) will change a thing.

My opinion mate, its a nothing cup. I know to quote chris c, “we are where we are” but the efl trophy is a hindrance. Fa cup fair enough, go for it.

Not knocking you for having an opinion, but we are a League One club warts and all, hopefully it wont be for long but we cant pick and choose which cups to play or not play in. Its a route to Wembley, while not quite the FA Cup but a route there that is reachable for us at the moment.

Not knocking you for having an opinion, but we are a League One club warts and all, hopefully it wont be for long but we cant pick and choose which cups to play or not play in. Its a route to Wembley, while not quite the FA Cup but a route there that is reachable for us at the moment.
It's not that long since it looked like we could be playing in the Durham Senior Cup with our first team, let's enjoy what little pleasure we can from this cup run.

So should we not go to league games as its "embarrassing" we are in League One? We are where we are and as League One teams compete in the EFL Trophy we compete in it. Hopefully it will be the last time but I suspect all this looking down the nose at the EFL Trophy is just fashionable posturing. Sure, I agree that Premiership and Championship B teams should not be it, no amount of winging and boycotting (as other clubs fans have done) will change a thing.

Pretty much all fans in league one and two f***ing hate this trophy now, not just us because we are in this league. If they hadn't changed the format so the top two divisions clubs could put their under 21's in it then things would be different

I would love to be there, pending ticket availability.

I'd rather we took the cup seriously and treated it with respect, even when little is expected. We are Sunderland, we are a different class. Turning our noses up at a competition is not something we should be doing, because we are better than that.

Should we be in this competition? Of course not, but we are. So let's just go for it.

Pretty much all fans in league one and two f***ing hate this trophy now, not just us because we are in this league. If they hadn't changed the format so the top two divisions clubs could put their under 21's in it then things would be different

Would it though? I suspect cups are no longer seen as fashionable in general, even the FA Cup suffers with low crowds before the 4th round just look at how few tickets we have sold for tomorrow and the crowds for the 1st round replays. If the EFL had not have invited B teams, the crowds for the EFL Trophy would still have been low, just having B teams in gives fans of other clubs an excuse to stay away from an unfashionable competion. Bigger clubs hating a chance to win silverware is just arrogance, we are at this level for a reason, lets get out of it with a bang and win some silverware while we are at it. If fans of the bigger clubs get their way, then they will screw over just about the only chance many smaller clubs have got of a trip to Wembley. As for the EFL? I wonder if they invited B teams from the Premiership and Championship to engineer a situation where fans will lose even more interest and give the EFL an excuse to scrap the competion?

but again, as has been mentioned by many people previously will those stating they have "no interest" and "hate" the EFL Trophy will still get tickets and go to the final? I don't think this question has actually been answered?

Last edited:
Unsure if I would go or not, even if we win it won't count as 'a trophy win' imo, no more than the Community Shield is one

Would it though? I suspect cups are no longer seen as fashionable in general, even the FA Cup suffers with low crowds before the 4th round just look at how few tickets we have sold for tomorrow and the crowds for the 1st round replays. If the EFL had not have invited B teams, the crowds for the EFL Trophy would still have been low, just having B teams in gives fans of other clubs an excuse to stay away from an unfashionable competion. Bigger clubs hating a chance to win silverware is just arrogance, we are at this level for a reason, lets get out of it with a bang and win some silverware while we are at it. If fans of the bigger clubs get their way, then they will screw over just about the only chance many smaller clubs have got of a trip to Wembley. As for the EFL? I wonder if they invited B teams from the Premiership and Championship to engineer a situation where fans will lose even more interest and give the EFL an excuse to scrap the competion?

but again, as has been mentioned by many people previously will those stating they have "no interest" and "hate" the EFL Trophy will still get tickets and go to the final? I don't think this question has actually been answered?

The crowds for this competition were massively affected by the new format, lower league fans stopped going en masse when it changed. The hatred towards it has fuck all to do with how big a club we are. Fans of all clubs at this level up and down the country can't stand the new format as it's seen as a piss take for the lower league clubs now with the inclusion of under 21's from the top two divisions. It's supposed to be a cup for the 3rd and 4th division, not a training and development competition for the big clubs

Last edited:
The crowds for this competition were massively affected by the new format, lower league fans stopped going en masse when it changed. The hatred towards it has fuck all to do with how big a club we are. Fans of all clubs at the level up and down the country can't stand the new format as it's seen as a piss take for the lower league clubs now with the inclusion of under 21's from the top two divisions. It's supposed to be a cup for the 3rd and 4th division, not a training and development competition for the big clubs

My point is that it was fashionable for fans to give it a miss even before the stupidity of inviting B teams from the Premiership and Championship. Just check the attendences for games prior to the change and they were still low (generally though not as low as sub 1,000 as in last two seasons or so). I just don't get this attitude that some of our members (and fans of other clubs) have about playing as weak a side as possible and hoping they get beat. I want to win everything we have to play in, even if it is the modern version of the Johnsons Paint Trophy! I just hope, that if we get to Wembley I get a ticket considering I have done every match in the Trophy except Morecambe away. Will be a shame if all those saying they "hate" the EFL Trophy end up going and those who actually supported the team in the earlier rounds don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back