You favourite singles artists

Guitar. Though I think they all dabbled in the keyboards.
Correct, I'm getting beer-confused with Brian Eno :(
I don’t think Erasure have had a mention yet. Vince Clark bands generally are great singles bands.

It’s interesting to see both REM and Kate Bush mentioned repeatedly as, to me, they’re primarily album artists with singles as a bonus, REM particularly.
Vince Clark definitely deserves a mention.

Last edited:
Theres no listing for it on Discogs
All versions seem to be 3m 18s
I looked all over online for anything about a 12" version (or cover pic) but couldn't find anything I recognised, which then led me to the Bear Cage 12". I even checked the cds I could locate but could only see the 7" version so I must be mistaken. I also wish I could find where I'd put my vinyl records for safe keeping......

I normally get a bit fed up of the radio when an artist dies but when they played prince songs I really had forgot how good his songs were and for how long he had been going
I turned the radio off when Bowie died as he really wasn’t my thing
Think I just avoid overplayed stuff

The tunes we've all heard hundreds of times

I'd probably turn off the Beatles or Elton John or all sorts of other stuff only for that reason

Where I used to work they had Greatest Hits Radio or something on. And was forever thinking oh god not this again

Think I just avoid overplayed stuff

The tunes we've all heard hundreds of times

I'd probably turn off the Beatles or Elton John or all sorts of other stuff only for that reason

Where I used to work they had Greatest Hits Radio or something on. And was forever thinking oh god not this again
When Virgin radio first started they used to advertise that you wouldn’t hear the same song twice in a day . That was refreshing, XFM did the same when it was a London FM station only. Where as Pirate radio down her live Alison Moyet and it’s the reason I turn it off

I looked all over online for anything about a 12" version (or cover pic) but couldn't find anything I recognised, which then led me to the Bear Cage 12". I even checked the cds I could locate but could only see the 7" version so I must be mistaken. I also wish I could find where I'd put my vinyl records for safe keeping......
FAO Sam Handwich; I found my Undertones album in a big box of records in a wardrobe a few mins ago so if I uncover the 5 Minutes vinyl further in I'll let you know.

Loads, bank robber, i fought the law, rock the casbah, white riot off the top of my head, it then I suppose it depends if the public like the clash or are thickheeds that listen to steps and the like, and is age sensitive I guess as well

same goes for talking heads, folks either know em or they completely passed them by
Two great bands
I don't think the Clash singles were that strong compared to their fellow punks .
Rock The Casbah was class mind you . A good single will draw other people to a band they wouldn't consider.
I don’t think Erasure have had a mention yet. Vince Clark bands generally are great singles bands.

It’s interesting to see both REM and Kate Bush mentioned repeatedly as, to me, they’re primarily album artists with singles as a bonus, REM particularly.
Agree on Rem but Kate had strong singles and was obviously a strong visual draw for releasing singles.

Got to be Rolling Stones: Happy, Tumbling Dice, It’s only rock and roll, Start Me Up, Brown sugar, Get off my Cloud, Jumping Jack Flash, Paint it black, The last time, Satisfaction, Angie,

Got to be Rolling Stones: Happy, Tumbling Dice, It’s only rock and roll, Start Me Up, Brown sugar, Get off my Cloud, Jumping Jack Flash, Paint it black, The last time, Satisfaction, Angie,
The Stones knocked out some great singles, a wee bit before my record buying times, but most stand the test of time.

XTC although unfashionable always had the knack of turning out catchy( if not quirky ) singles

More mainstream Dexys ( up until their third album) always turned out decent singles.

Back