Yorkshire Honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Less than 1 in 5 chance of even needing hospital care according to this;

0.66% death rate for over-80s...What are we scared of exactly?

People have lost all perspective with this situation.

Semantics Harry. An 83 year old woman has a high risk of both hospitalisation and admission to ICU, if infected with COVID.

Estimates from the ICL modelling team were a 27% chance of hospitalisation and an implied 22% chance of ICU admission, if infected and symptomatic.

Depending on asymptomatic rates, which are age variable, you could be down to around 6-10% ICU admission risk.

Indeed it’s an interesting philosophical issue.

If I had a 10% risk of ending up in the ICU I wouldn’t be saying sod it.
No you wouldnt, but you're not 83 year old and likely in the position of having more fingers than years left to live. She's not selfish, she's a free woman born in a free country who values her own, and other people's freedom.

read your own link there.

half way down.

“The authors warn that as 50% to 80% of the global population could be infected with COVID-19 the number of people needing hospital treatment is likely to overwhelm even the most advanced healthcare systems worldwide. ”

An overwhelmed NHS is a lot more worrying to me personally than COVID itself.

No you wouldnt, but you're not 83 year old and likely in the position of having more fingers than years left to live. She's not selfish, she's a free woman born in a free country who values her own, and other people's freedom.

I don’t buy that “freedom” somehow confers immunity from selfishness though.

She can be free to act in a particular manner, but that doesn’t make her actions immune from being branded selfish.

I don’t buy that “freedom” somehow confers immunity from selfishness though.

She can be free to act in a particular manner, but that doesn’t make her actions immune from being branded selfish.
She's clearly concerned about the younger generations paying for this shit show, so that's not selfish of her. Some of bile spouted on this thread about an old woman with a perfectly normal, human opinion is really worrying tbh.
She's survived, so feck the rest of us?
Maybe she thought "sod it" before she caught it.

She's clearly concerned about the younger generations paying for this shit show, so that's not selfish of her. Some of bile spouted on this thread about an old woman with a perfectly normal, human opinion is really worrying tbh.

The forum is disproportionately passionate on both sides...not reflective of the consensus IMO.

But on this issue particularly, there are people saying she is selfish with conflating arguments.

Some are saying she is selfish because if she catches it she has a higher % chance of taking a bed (presumably from all the elderly entitled catching it in isolation, and holding the view that they would be selfish for alcohol, tobacco etc treatment) .

Others are saying she is selfish for going out and potentially spreading it (in which case her age is of no relevance really)

I really think people need to wind it back a little bit with this approach of calling people selfish, and demonising a woman for what is , even if you disagree, a reasonable thing to say.

My own view is that I’d be uncomfortable with my Gran going around with that approach. However my Gran (84 and ex heart attack / ongoing problems & smoker) does have that approach and she is allowed to live her life free of care about the judgement of the SMB. During lockdown I didn’t visit her, but I have since & I have had the virus too.

She’s 84 and this period of restrictions is going to be going on for years - there’ll people seeing out their days in complete isolation and fear of catching a virus that is still unlikely to kill them.

Living life outdoors within reason is not a justification for saying someone is selfish , it’s ridiculous especially given some of the reasons others find themselves in ICU - but here we are in the COVID world.

Give her a break!

Last edited:
She's clearly concerned about the
The forum is disproportionately passionate on both sides...not reflective of the consensus IMO.

But on this issue particularly, there are people saying she is selfish with conflating arguments.

Some are saying she is selfish because if she catches it she has a higher % chance of taking a bed (presumably from all the elderly entitled catching it in isolation, and holding the view that they would be selfish for alcohol, tobacco etc treatment) .

Others are saying she is selfish for going out and potentially spreading it (in which case her age is of no relevance really)

I really think people need to wind it back a little bit with this approach of calling people selfish, and demonising a woman for what is , even if you disagree, a reasonable thing to say.

My own view is that I’d be uncomfortable with my Gran going around with that approach. However my Gran (84 and ex cancer) does have that approach and she is allowed to live her life free of care about the judgement of the SMB. During lockdown I didn’t visit her, but I have since & I have had the virus too.

She’s 84 and this period of restrictions is going to be going on for years - there’ll people seeing out their days in complete isolation and fear of catching a virus that is still unlikely to kill them.

Living life outdoors within reason is not a justification for saying someone is selfish , it’s ridiculous especially given some of the reasons others find themselves in ICU - but here we are in the COVID world.

Give her a break!
having spent years in the care sector I can inform you the biggest issue and saddest I have come across in this time was witnessing family of residents never even bothering to turn up to see a relative left in care.

However decent people exist as well and I can see the point you are making, I just don't want to see another slaughter during this next wave.

having spent years in the care sector I can inform you the biggest issue and saddest I have come across in this time was witnessing family of residents never even bothering to turn up to see a relative left in care.

However decent people exist as well and I can see the point you are making, I just don't want to see another slaughter during this next wave.
It's a very difficult balance, I understand the argument. Just sad really, the whole thing...my other Nana was had bad alzheimer's in February and was a new resident to a care home in January. I haven't seen her since although family have , the restrictions on numbers who can enter the care home + the implications of her leaving are too difficult.

Everyone has different circumstances and I am sure will have similar & worse examples of difficult circumstances, I just think the tone could be better although I admit i fall foul of it myself at times.

It's a very difficult balance, I understand the argument. Just sad really, the whole thing...my other Nana was had bad alzheimer's in February and was a new resident to a care home in January. I haven't seen her since although family have , the restrictions on numbers who can enter the care home + the implications of her leaving are too difficult.

Everyone has different circumstances and I am sure will have similar & worse examples of difficult circumstances, I just think the tone could be better although I admit i fall foul of it myself at times.
We all get worked up on here for various reasons.
From a selfish point of view the last 8 months have been rubbish mate, lost an uncle to the virus and gave up my job to shelter with my 84 yr old mother as I don't trust her to be sensible.
I honestly thought this would be coming to an end but my optimism has gone and it could take another year of this crap, I feel the pain of other folk on here as everyone has a different story.
It's not really living at the moment.

We all get worked up on here for various reasons.
From a selfish point of view the last 8 months have been rubbish mate, lost an uncle to the virus and gave up my job to shelter with my 84 yr old mother as I don't trust her to be sensible.
I honestly thought this would be coming to an end but my optimism has gone and it could take another year of this crap, I feel the pain of other folk on here as everyone has a different story.
It's not really living at the moment.
No, you're right it isn't. Keep well. Hopefully by Spring time and into next summer things will settle down, and we don't need to go back through this again.

Depending on how you're using that number, you are either incorrect or wilfully disingenuous.

As of the end of August 2020, for England and Wales, the ONS had recorded 48,168 deaths where COVID-19 was implicated as an underlying cause.

(Deaths due to COVID-19 compared with deaths from influenza and pneumonia - Office for National Statistics)

29,648 (62%) of all deaths were recorded amongst those aged 80 or older.

The population of those aged 80+ in England and Wales, as of mid-2019 was 3,011,127.

(Estimates of the population for the UK, England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland - Office for National Statistics)

29,648 as a percentage of 3,011,127 is 0.98%.

Now the problem with using that kind of rate is you're including millions of people who've never had it. Appropriate if COVID was hard to catch, but it isn't hard to catch. Unfortunately, we do not know the number of people aged 80+ who have had COVID. However, statistical estimates of infection and case fatality rates for patients aged 80+ such as those published by Imperial College London and those published elsewhere but cited by the Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, suggest the case fatality rate for those aged 80+ is into the double digits.

(Global Covid-19 Case Fatality Rates - CEBM)

Last edited:
I think you have form for encouraging vulnerable folk to get out and amongst it though don’t you?

Yet still you are here, chipping away, every thread without any recourse at all. Amazing place this.
Please explain where I have told vulnerable folk to get out amongst it??
I think you have form for encouraging vulnerable folk to get out and amongst it though don’t you?

Yet still you are here, chipping away, every thread without any recourse at all. Amazing place this.
Please explain??

See more lies from idiots wanting to quote things that didnt happen, so please explain???

If you are able to tell me where I have encouraged vulnerable folk to get out amongst it then I am.more than happy yo address it

Last edited:

My own view is that I’d be uncomfortable with my Gran going around with that approach. However my Gran (84 and ex heart attack / ongoing problems & smoker) does have that approach and she is allowed to live her life free of care about the judgement of the SMB. During lockdown I didn’t visit her, but I have since & I have had the virus too.

Give her a break!

Well said. My mothers 88 in a care home and scared to go out now and her mental health has gone down hill now. She'd rather have taken her chances before this political shit fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back