would you rather beat tranmere or portsmouth

What do people want, seriously? No trophy, only promotion counts to some people. Then what? Promotion again with in 2 years? And then top half within another 2 years? And from then on, champions league for a few years until that gets boring and only winning Premier League counts.
Major trophies count for most people tbh. I agree with someone else who said earlier that they'd accept relegation from the top flight if it meant an FA cup. We'd recover from a relegation, but to see us win a major trophy would be amazing. To be part of a moment similar to 1973, something that many of us think we'll die without experiencing. This isn't comparable in the slightest. It's a shit trophy that we shouldn't even be in, that even the small clubs don't take seriously until the latter stages, and that you couldn't genuinely go mental celebrating, you'd have to be putting it on. Promotion is all that matters to me because I want to see us win a major trophy in my lifetime and I want to see us in Europe. Needless to say we're f***ing miles away from either right now, but the only way we give ourselves a hope is by getting out of this league, then focusing on getting out of the next one.

Tranmere, lets bury this Wembley hoodoo once and for all.
The Portsmouth result won't shape our season, but losing at Wembley could be a big blow for morale.
Win lose or draw at Pompey I still think we'll go up so why not have a Wembley win on the way?

Tranmere, lets bury this Wembley hoodoo once and for all.
The Portsmouth result won't shape our season, but losing at Wembley could be a big blow for morale.
Win lose or draw at Pompey I still think we'll go up so why not have a Wembley win on the way?

It won't shape our season as such, but it'll leave us with a lot to do if we lose it. I looked and since 2005 (which is as far back as I bothered to look) you've needed at least 82 points to get second. A couple of times that would have done it. Generally it's been 85 or so (and sometimes into the nineties but I would agree that's unlikely this time).

Given that, we are very likely to need at least 25 points from our last 14. At 1.8 points a game that's already difficult (and if we need 85 we're already needing 2 points per game). Lose to Portsmouth and we are very likely to need at least 1.9 points per game. Considering we've still got a lot of hard games to come I'd be very negative about our chances. Naturally we might end up with the lowest total required in 15 seasons but I wouldn't bet on it. Every league game is crucial now if we want top two

you can only win one and lose the other

i rather beat tranmere even if its a mickey mouse cup, still seeing the lads win a trophy at wembley, even on tv, would be special we probs wont get more more opportunities

if we lose tomorrow we could still go up top 2 or via playoffs, or we walk it next season

to see the lads win at wembley would be a dream

I agree, most won't but we need to get the Wembley monkey off our backs. That we if we do have to go into the play offs we could at least be confident about the final being at Wembley.

This. It would be nice to win the trophy, especially for those watching at home with their bairns, but it's a nowt trophy that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. Hell, it's only for lower league clubs and even most of them make loads of changes until the latter stages because they don't prioritise it. We've all seen us win the second tier, that's much better than winning this bloody thing, winning promotion from league one would be as well. Now we're in the final I hope we win it, but if we lost it would take me about 5 minutes to get over it, especially if we'd beaten Portsmouth away a few days prior and were breathing down the neck of the top two
I think one thing that sums up what a massive trophy this is, is that the early stages didn’t have them listen as fixtures on many of the major news sites. I don’t think any round has had live scores and for the majority of games there has not even been a match report on the BBC, just a roundup of all clubs involved in a short article.

It won't shape our season as such, but it'll leave us with a lot to do if we lose it. I looked and since 2005 (which is as far back as I bothered to look) you've needed at least 82 points to get second. A couple of times that would have done it. Generally it's been 85 or so (and sometimes into the nineties but I would agree that's unlikely this time).

Given that, we are very likely to need at least 25 points from our last 14. At 1.8 points a game that's already difficult (and if we need 85 we're already needing 2 points per game). Lose to Portsmouth and we are very likely to need at least 1.9 points per game. Considering we've still got a lot of hard games to come I'd be very negative about our chances. Naturally we might end up with the lowest total required in 15 seasons but I wouldn't bet on it. Every league game is crucial now if we want top two
At the start of the season I was all for exiting the EFL competition at the first hurdle, but by God, if you're going to get to a final at Wembley , and I don't care what final it is, you should sure as hell do your all to win it.
No matter how the Portsmouth result goes I still think we'll go up, be it automatic or through the play offs. No reason we can't win it, but not the end of the world if we don't, and if we do have to do it via Wembley again it'd be good to have already put an end to that losing streak.

Major trophies count for most people tbh. I agree with someone else who said earlier that they'd accept relegation from the top flight if it meant an FA cup. We'd recover from a relegation, but to see us win a major trophy would be amazing. To be part of a moment similar to 1973, something that many of us think we'll die without experiencing. This isn't comparable in the slightest. It's a shit trophy that we shouldn't even be in, that even the small clubs don't take seriously until the latter stages, and that you couldn't genuinely go mental celebrating, you'd have to be putting it on. Promotion is all that matters to me because I want to see us win a major trophy in my lifetime and I want to see us in Europe. Needless to say we're f***ing miles away from either right now, but the only way we give ourselves a hope is by getting out of this league, then focusing on getting out of the next one.
Of course everybody would prefer to be in Premier league and compete for European football. On the other hand. How many fans do you see being happy that their team is out of the FA Cup, so they can focus on the league? The FA Cup is a completely watered out cup. Premier league teams don't enter till round of 64. And a lot of teams do not play their best players until the final rounds. Not so different from this pizza cup. The pizza cup is a poor man's FA cup, but this is where we are. We should be proud to win it. Rather than look at as a sign of an all time low, look at it as a sign of a will and passion to want to be the best, where we are. Not wanting to win trophies you have an actual or just a remote shot at, thst just doesn't make any sense to me.
Pep has got it right. He wants his team and club to win everything, every season. You could say he has a lot more money to do accomplish that with. But we are talking at least 4 trophies for him and City. 2 for us. (Carabao Cup and FA Cup is only worth going for for top 2 tiers imo.) We should be able to go for that and aim for it as well.

Can we not enjoy both games and hope to win them both? If we win on Sunday the confidence that has been building and the momentum gained, will help us challenge for the top two.

whatever the competition is or who against, I can’t get my head around fellow safc fans wanting to lose.

personally I’ll be ecstatic to win at Wembley again and I was around for the 73 win. Tomorrow’s match v Portsmouth even a loss , is not the end of promotion. Not that I think we will lose to Portsmouth personally as I’ve got a safc win 2-1 on the midweek soccer six.

Sunday should be a fun day with the prospect of a safc win. Enjoy it

2 types of fans on this thread.

The ones who want us to beat pompey including myself, are fans who genuinely want us to go up and back where we belong and see it as more important than the tranmere game overall, which imo it is.

And theres the ones who would prefer the tranmere win who would be happy to see us Lift a absolutely tinpot trophy at wembley which is an embarrassment to be even playing in this thing in the 1st place,and are ultimately happy with mediocrity.

The 3 points you would sacrifice could very easily see us miss out on going up, which is the most important thing for our club.

So again Portsmouth win all day

Of course everybody would prefer to be in Premier league and compete for European football. On the other hand. How many fans do you see being happy that their team is out of the FA Cup, so they can focus on the league? The FA Cup is a completely watered out cup. Premier league teams don't enter till round of 64. And a lot of teams do not play their best players until the final rounds. Not so different from this pizza cup. The pizza cup is a poor man's FA cup, but this is where we are. We should be proud to win it. Rather than look at as a sign of an all time low, look at it as a sign of a will and passion to want to be the best, where we are. Not wanting to win trophies you have an actual or just a remote shot at, thst just doesn't make any sense to me.
Pep has got it right. He wants his team and club to win everything, every season. You could say he has a lot more money to do accomplish that with. But we are talking at least 4 trophies for him and City. 2 for us. (Carabao Cup and FA Cup is only worth going for for top 2 tiers imo.) We should be able to go for that and aim for it as well.

No one is saying they don't want to win though. Just that it's nowhere near as important as beating Portsmouth. It's not a trophy we'll all remember for the rest of our lives. Don't really give a fuck if a lot of clubs don't take the fa cup seriously, as fans we'd remember it for life and it would likely be the high point of the support for almost all of us. This isn't the same, it's a second rate cup for clubs in a league we should never be shit enough to be in. Of course I want us to win now we're in it, but promotion is infinitely more important so I'd put any league game ahead of it

Last edited:
No one is saying they don't want to win though. Just that it's nowhere near as important as beating Portsmouth. It's not a trophy we'll all remember for the rest of our lives. Don't really give a fuck if a lot of clubs don't take the fa cup seriously, as fans we'd remember it for life and it would likely be the high point of the support for almost all of us. This isn't the same, it's a second rate cup for clubs in a league we should never be shit enough to be in. Of course I want us to win now we're in it, but promotion is infinitely more important so I'd put and league game ahead of it
We are a league one side though. With a team full of league one standard players. Winning breeds confidence.

We are a league one side though. With a team full of league one standard players. Winning breeds confidence.

Maybe it does but we need to be getting points in the league more than tinpot cups so if I could only choose one, which is the point of the thread, it would be Portsmouth. I'd rather that than lose it and then get a bit of momentum back again against Tranmere! We probably need about 2 points a game to go up, that's more important than being the best cup side out of all the clubs shit enough to be in league one and two ffs

Maybe it does but we need to be getting points in the league more than tinpot cups so if I could only choose one, which is the point of the thread, it would be Portsmouth. I'd rather that than lose it and then get a bit of momentum back again against Tranmere! We probably need about 2 points a game to go up, that's more important than being the best cup side out of all the clubs shit enough to be in league one and two ffs
I don’t think tomorrow will end safcs chances of promotion with a loss. I’m fully intending to enjoy a win at Wembley to the max.

I don’t think tomorrow will end safcs chances of promotion with a loss. I’m fully intending to enjoy a win at Wembley to the max.
As I posted before, we're highly likely to need at least 82 points to be top two, that's the least that's been needed in the last 15 seasons. 25 points won't be easy to get from 14 games. So if I actually, randomly, got to choose whether to bank 3 of them from one of our harder games or win a cup that means very little, it would be the league game every time

As I posted before, we're highly likely to need at least 82 points to be top two, that's the least that's been needed in the last 15 seasons. 25 points won't be easy to get from 14 games. So if I actually, randomly, got to choose whether to bank 3 of them from one of our harder games or win a cup that means very little, it would be the league game every time
I understand fully what you are saying. I’m saying tomorrow if it’s a loss, is not the end. Personally I’m going to enjoy Sunday irrespective of the portsmouth result and am looking forward to see safc win there.

as for all the tinpot etc etc, this is where safc are, you can only win whats at your level. Even if we go up, I hope we enter the young lads into the competition.

Back