would you rather beat tranmere or portsmouth

I understand fully what you are saying. I’m saying tomorrow if it’s a loss, is not the end. Personally I’m going to enjoy Sunday irrespective of the portsmouth result and am looking forward to see safc win there.

as for all the tinpot etc etc, this is where safc are, you can only win whats at your level. Even if we go up, I hope we enter the young lads into the competition.

I know it's our level currently, but historically it isn't, you'd certainly hope it isn't in the future, so you can't really expect fans to get excited about a cup that we normally aren't shit enough to enter. Like I say I hope we win it, but I wouldn't forego a single point in the league for it, especially when we won't even be at Wembley to see it

I know it's our level currently, but historically it isn't, you'd certainly hope it isn't in the future, so you can't really expect fans to get excited about a cup that we normally aren't shit enough to enter. Like I say I hope we win it, but I wouldn't forego a single point in the league for it, especially when we won't even be at Wembley to see it
Fair comment. I’m just a glory hunter me, any cup, no matter what it is, does me.

2 types of fans on this thread.

The ones who want us to beat pompey including myself, are fans who genuinely want us to go up and back where we belong and see it as more important than the tranmere game overall, which imo it is.

And theres the ones who would prefer the tranmere win who would be happy to see us Lift a absolutely tinpot trophy at wembley which is an embarrassment to be even playing in this thing in the 1st place,and are ultimately happy with mediocrity.

The 3 points you would sacrifice could very easily see us miss out on going up, which is the most important thing for our club.

So again Portsmouth win all day

I think everyone would rather go up than beat Tranmere, not just self-proclaimed ubers like yourself.

No one is saying they don't want to win though. Just that it's nowhere near as important as beating Portsmouth. It's not a trophy we'll all remember for the rest of our lives. Don't really give a fuck if a lot of clubs don't take the fa cup seriously, as fans we'd remember it for life and it would likely be the high point of the support for almost all of us. This isn't the same, it's a second rate cup for clubs in a league we should never be shit enough to be in. Of course I want us to win now we're in it, but promotion is infinitely more important so I'd put any league game ahead of it
What I don't get is, why is this game against Portsmouth that important. To me, its just another game. Losing against Wigan at home, that pisses me off. Losing against Portsmouth, not so much. League one is a marathon. I' d rather gain ground downhill than sprint uphill.

What I don't get is, why is this game against Portsmouth that important. To me, its just another game. Losing against Wigan at home, that pisses me off. Losing against Portsmouth, not so much. League one is a marathon. I' d rather gain ground downhill than sprint uphill.

Because like I say, we're highly likely to need around 2 points a game to go up, we can't afford to drop loads of points. So I'll be very worried if we do it in the next game. We've still got hard games to come, lose 3 points tomorrow and it'll be a big ask. On the other hand, win away to one of the sides who, last result aside, will think they can get into the chase, and all the other sides will be looking over their shoulders.

I don't know that losing to Portsmouth would help either uphill or downhill though. Only a bunch of braces of games left to go, we need to pick up points asap and get promoted without another trip to Wimberly in the summer. Tranmere is an entertaining sideshow, no more.

I don't know that losing to Portsmouth would help either uphill or downhill though. Only a bunch of braces of games left to go, we need to pick up points asap and get promoted without another trip to Wimberly in the summer. Tranmere is an entertaining sideshow, no more.
The Wombledons of wimberley, wombolling free

Not an option on the thread though, got to win one and lose the other. Just imagine a genie has come out of a bottle, told you that you can choose us to beat Portsmouth but lose to tranmere, or beat tranmere but lose to Portsmouth. But if you say anything else, we'll lose both. Which one do you choose?

Beat portsmouth. Would hate to win at wembley and not be there with my dad.

Portsmouth.
Papa John's trophy is a no win scenario. Win on Sunday and make a big deal of beating a 4th tier team in a competition only open the 3rd and 4th tier clubs and reserve teams and you're a laughing stock. Lose and you're a laughing stock. Give those returning from injury game time. Wembley debut for Stewart?

As an outsider, it's gotta be tonight surely?

I know if Palace were down in L1, a win in the JPT or whatever it is would be nice, but getting out of that league has to be priority

Obviously Portsmouth like, but I still do wanna win on Sunday. Maybe if we were in the top 2 with a gap to 3rd I'd choose Tranmere but otherwise the league games are everything.

Of course everybody would prefer to be in Premier league and compete for European football. On the other hand. How many fans do you see being happy that their team is out of the FA Cup, so they can focus on the league? The FA Cup is a completely watered out cup. Premier league teams don't enter till round of 64. And a lot of teams do not play their best players until the final rounds. Not so different from this pizza cup. The pizza cup is a poor man's FA cup, but this is where we are. We should be proud to win it. Rather than look at as a sign of an all time low, look at it as a sign of a will and passion to want to be the best, where we are. Not wanting to win trophies you have an actual or just a remote shot at, thst just doesn't make any sense to me.
Pep has got it right. He wants his team and club to win everything, every season. You could say he has a lot more money to do accomplish that with. But we are talking at least 4 trophies for him and City. 2 for us. (Carabao Cup and FA Cup is only worth going for for top 2 tiers imo.) We should be able to go for that and aim for it as well.

is it shite. it's similar to the fa trophy and vase but they are at the top of the non league game and this is a cup for the bottom of the professional game

Back