Would you challenge racism/homophobia at the game?

Well, I certainly couldn’t sit back and do nowt, and never have. If some feel it better to tell a steward, that’s better than nothing. I’m f**ked if I’m going to let these sort of attitudes become normalised.

A few years back at WHL – the 2010 game I think, when Gyan scored – a lad in front of me in the away end started doing the gas hissing sound and sang the Auschwitz song. I called him out for it. No one else was. He didn’t know what to say but he was embarrassed. Maybe he thought twice next time. Maybe not. But I hope he did.

Wife’s family lost people in a genocide earlier in the 20th Cenury – not in the Holocaust. I’d never have forgiven myself if I had kept shtum.

Remember when that lad got photographed making a monkey gesture at Lukaku then claim it was the ‘chicken dance’ absolute melt. But aye I’d confront them luckily all the lads who sit around us are sound and we all tend to get on while despite being strangers.

But if he’s done it twice behind you I’d say report him to the club like we don’t need morons like that here.

In this day and age I'd imagine most people would back you up if you did say something to a racist, but most people are scared to make the first move. Confronting a 19st pissed bald geezer with tattoos arl ower him isn't easy especially if you're on your own.

I did at Ipswich away 1998 midweek game just before we missed out on automatic promotion to Boro at Swindon. Some arseholes were monkey chanting when Ipswich black players were on the ball. Me n me mates started hurling abuse at the fuckwits and they were not pleased. At half time a few of them came up to our row to confront us. Now I can’t fight my way out of a paper bag but me, Simon and @gavinmccant stood our ground and told them they were an embarrassment to SAFC on live TV and to my surprise they just fucked off. Don’t care if you believe this or not but it happened. The same night I wore Samson the Cat’s head in a pub in Ipswich because a well known current member of SAFC staff decided to doss on our B&B floor. Good times.

That's fine. But would you if you did?
As I said earlier it depends. I've been through a lot of shit with this sort of stuff, I pulled up some kids for throwing a can into my garden and they came back and put a brick through my window etc.
Mrs Bresslaw is always telling me to not get involved with things like this, a few months ago someone was getting brayed all over on the Metro and I was the only one that tried to stop it.
I honestly don't know what I'd do, all that matters to me is I know I'm not a racist or homophobic, I don't need to prove it.

I heard a couple of racist comments directed towards Maja from folk sat behind me. It was a few games ago and in response to him sending a couple of headers wide.

Didn’t report it as I couldn’t figure out who’d said it. Would do if it kept/keeps happening though.

Yeah, back in the Reid days away at Huddersfield, night match, two lads near us started spouting racist shite at one of their playets. Had words, backed up by brother, then started getting threatened by them, accused weirdly of not supporting the lads. Thankfully all had calmed down by half time and they stopped spouting the bollocks they'd previously been saying.

That's fine. But would you if you did?

Calling someone a ‘puff’ is usually not a homophobic slur, more likely questioning their ability to withstand a hard tackle or whatever.

I’m all for moving with the times and updating our idioms to not be offensive but what am I to call someone who is acting like a complete dunce since most epithets describing stupidity are no longer deemed pleasant? (Even though being unpleasant was kinda the point)

So instead of saying ‘shut up you moron / cretin / retard / **** / [insert alternative objectionable adjective here]’ am I supposed to say ‘shut up you person lacking the requisite intelligence to participate gainfully in this exchange of contrasting postulations’?

Similarly when a player takes a tackle and rolls around like he's been shot, do I say ‘get up you frail person as you clearly lack the necessary level of robustness required to allow you compete manfully and with full effect in this match’?

Depends on how big they were. If they were geet hard I would probably just grass them up.
Mind I was offered outside for a straightner today at the SOL just for bumping into a blokes lass on the concourse at HT having a pint. So I can't be f***ing arsed with all this billy big bollocks stuff.
Where was Dean?

So he hasn't had the balls to say anything but puts it on twitter. Couple of points for me;

Don't go on Twitter and say you're going to do something, just do it.

Why is he speaking to the other fellas directly, does he know they're on twitter but is scared to name them or is he just trying to sound tough.

We've got fans saying don't sign anymore africans when the fella in question is French ffs

Calling someone a ‘puff’ is usually not a homophobic slur, more likely questioning their ability to withstand a hard tackle or whatever.

I’m all for moving with the times and updating our idioms to not be offensive but what am I to call someone who is acting like a complete dunce since most epithets describing stupidity are no longer deemed pleasant? (Even though being unpleasant was kinda the point)

So instead of saying ‘shut up you moron / cretin / retard / **** / [insert alternative objectionable adjective here]’ am I supposed to say ‘shut up you person lacking the requisite intelligence to participate gainfully in this exchange of contrasting postulations’?

Similarly when a player takes a tackle and rolls around like he's been shot, do I say ‘get up you frail person as you clearly lack the necessary level of robustness required to allow you compete manfully and with full effect in this match’?

Off course it is ffs, you're suggesting all gay people are soft.

Last edited:
I'd like to think I would but I'm a soft shite so don't know, however a couple of season back 2 townie lads were stood at the back of the family zone obviously not in their allocated seats as there weren't any seats where they were stood, anyway just a few minutes in and they were calling some player a (unt a few times til i turned round and said ha'way man man I don't want to youngest lad hearing that all game this is the family section, to be fair the lads apologised then soon went off somewhere else, now I dont know if it was the fact me father was there that day that got me brave but I got a few well done nods from other dad's around so I was pleased I had,
Thinking about it if I heard racist/homophobic abuse I think I'd definitely say something

Back