Worst Sacking of a Manager at Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

What sacking of a Sunderland Manager over the years do you think has been the worst/most ill timed etc. I was proper gutted as a young un when Tom Cowie sacked Ken Knighton and then Alan Durban but realise now it was all part of being a Sunderland fan

Durban going is one the worst and most shortsighted decisions this club has made in its history. What happened over the next six or seven years changed English football forever and had we retained top division status throughout those years, who knows what might have happened. Those clubs in the ascendancy through the late 80s and early 90s have reaped the benefits for decades.

Reid feels ill-timed in hindsight but I think that has more to do with his replacement. Ross should have been thanked for his efforts after Wembley and let go.

The problem has been that SAFC has bought too many tickets for the managers’ roundabout in recent years, when what has been needed is someone with sufficient nous and ability to be given an extended period of time to establish a sustainable culture and system at the club and backed financially and practically by a board of directors who also knew what they were doing. Think Ferguson and Wenger, Shankly and Nicholson.

Sadly, the need to appease those fans who bleat when immediate success isn’t forthcoming and to offer up a sacrificial lamb to deflect attention away from other failings, has resulted in a short-termism mentality that has seen the club spiralling downward.

Whilst an unpopular view on here, Jack Ross should have been supported and allowed to develop a properly resourced five year plan. It would need to be expected and tolerated that mistakes would be made whilst en-route to stability.

since Smith and Knighton who I must admit time clouds my memory, I think all of the sackings have come at the right time. So I’ll vote for Clough with the ridiculous hindsight that provides.

Without a shadow of a doubt Paolo Di Canio's sacking was the most stupid and damaging in our post-war history. The mess we're in today is largely because of Ellis Short's mistake on Black Sunday, September, 2013.

Slightly too young for Durban but from late 80’s to now I don’t remember too many where I wasn’t thinking - yeah times up
need to go now. I was borderline with Poyet. I thought we would probably go down but would have been ok with sticking with him in the champo. But even then can’t say I was massively upset when we sacked him.

In reality they all got the bullet because they either failed or were massively failing at the time..

Without a shadow of a doubt Paolo Di Canio's sacking was the most stupid and damaging in our post-war history. The mess we're in today is largely because of Ellis Short's mistake on Black Sunday, September, 2013.

You mean Blackshirts Sunday?

Managers are nearly as bad as players when it comes to the club.

Reid should of been sacked at the end of the previous season it was obvious where we were headed. He should of definitely been sacked for turning up in Japan on the BBC pissed as a fart with Lineker et al taking the piss, especially as he had said he was not going so he could concentrate on the team. Couldn't lie straight in bed.

De Canio not the sacking, the biggest mistake was not clearing players Cakkamole etc. that got him sacked at the end of the season, die was cast then.

Bruce should not of had his contract extended when he did there was no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back