Worst Sacking of a Manager at Sunderland

I’m assuming those non Durban voters weren’t around at the time. Because some of the names being mentioned on here were nailed on for the sack a good while before they went in comparison. Doug Wetherall was the only person I can remember having an inkling he was going and I don’t remember anyone shouting for his head either.

Brian Kidd was a creep wherever he worked.

He was told when they gave him the job that he would be finished at the end of the season, no matter what he did, because they had Bobby Robson lined up. He changed his mind before then. Robson had been up and shown around and met some of the hierarchy.
I didn't know about Robson . There again though haven't we been after every great manager . Never got one like . I know for a certain fact they offered Clough less money than he was already on - typical twerps . We live in hope though .

I didn't know about Robson . There again though haven't we been after every great manager . Never got one like . I know for a certain fact they offered Clough less money than he was already on - typical twerps . We live in hope though .

John Watters told me that when we signed John Parke from Hibs, in the mid-60s, Jock Stein brought the player down to complete the transfer. He did not have to as it would have been completed by the Secretary or Asst Secretary. John Watters was an ex-Celtic player and knew Jock very well. He said he was surprised to see Jock at Roker and asked him how he was doing. Jock replied that he thought he may have been asked if he was interested in the manager's job! Another missed opportunity...

Last edited:
John Watters told me that when we signed John Parke from Hibs, in the mid-60s, Jock Stein brought the player down to complete the transfer. He did not have to as it would have been completed by the Secretary or Asst Secretary. John Watters was an ex-Celtic player and knew Jock very well. He said he was surprised to see Jock at Roker and asked him how he was doing. Jock replied that he thought he may have been asked if he was interested in the manager's job! Another missed opportunity...
Was this before or after Shankley ? nb I knew Johnny, he was a good source for tickets back in the day . He got one for me for the Man City replay but because I'm a dick I didn't go . I gave it to my cousin .

Peter Reid-if you were going to sack him it should have been done in the close season not October. Not for the first time it was awful timing by Murray and ended up with Howard Wilkinson :mad:.

Peter Reid-if you were going to sack him it should have been done in the close season not October. Not for the first time it was awful timing by Murray and ended up with Howard Wilkinson :mad:.
Reid should have gone in the summer. And Wilkinson should never have been appointed (obviously). f***ing crackers decision by Murray.

All those who were brought in to save relegation. Did so and then sacked couple of months into following season. Plenty of them . Anybody managing Sunderland needed time to put together a coherent consistent strategy for long term progress. But no. O Neill Poyet Advocaat Di Cannio. 12 months.

Arguably quite a few should have been given longer. Durban and Smith deserved more time. Maybe Reidy. Unpopular though it is I think MoN would have kept us up and built better than Di Canio and I think given time Poyet would have built a proper playing culture.
Yes more or less agree with all of that.

Back