Worst Sacking of a Manager at Sunderland

Pretty much every man utd player loved him

Roy Keane, David Beckham, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Bryan Robson and Jaap Stam all had fall outs and acrimonious departures of the top of my head.

And if you’ve played at a reasonable level the gaffers door gets a lot less hammering if the team is winning most weeks!

Roy Keane, David Beckham, Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Bryan Robson and Jaap Stam all had fall outs and acrimonious departures of the top of my head.

And if you’ve played at a reasonable level the gaffers door gets a lot less hammering if the team is winning most weeks!
And what do they say about him now?

Never heard anyone other than Roy Keane say bad things about him.

I’ve heard a few I’ve mention at talk ins be less than complimentary about the red nosed one.

Respected him yes, but loved him is a stretch.

The cult of Ferguson as Roy calls it.

Fergy was the ultimate psychological manager recruited players and coaches that made the sum greater than its parts. Players ran the dressing room and the likes of Kidd and Quieroz ran the sessions.

And for that he is the 2nd greatest manager in my lifetime.

I’ve heard a few I’ve mention at talk ins be less than complimentary about the red nosed one.

Fergy was the ultimate psychological manager recruited players and coaches that made the sum greater than its parts. Players ran the dressing room and the likes of Kidd and Quieroz ran the sessions.

Like who?

Brian Kidd was a creep wherever he worked.
Billy Elliot for me .

He was told when they gave him the job that he would be finished at the end of the season, no matter what he did, because they had Bobby Robson lined up. He changed his mind before then. Robson had been up and shown around and met some of the hierarchy.

Last edited:
The way the club have treat Kevin Ball beggars belief. Sacked him at least 3 times and never given him more than half a dozen games at the helm............
Bally was never up to the manager’s job. If he really wanted it he either could have won more games when he had it or gone away, proven himself as a manager elsewhere and we could have had him back.

It's not always the sacking that seems bad, it really depends who you are replacing them with. Peter reid went very early into his last season and look who replaced him. Snowballed downhill from there
Exactly this. There have been many many occasions where we have sacked a manager and replaced them with worse.

Back