Working a long notice period

In my case it’s actually true. I’m one of 3 people with the knowledge of the area I work in and its requirements when it comes to a new finance system are pretty niche.

I’m not one of these IT/project folk who blows their own trumpet. I actually couldn’t care less about the implementation of the new system, and it’s been an absolute disaster to date, mainly due to factors outwith my employer’s control.

Sounds like a sap implementation.

How many new employers will keep a job open 3 months though? I’m not talking about headhunted people - just joe shopfloor who has a new job lined up.

Not sure about 'Joe Shopfloor' but if you're leaving a 3 month notice period then your new job will also have a 3 month notice period.

Job I'm in now, found out about it mid September and started end of January.

A good company won't spend two months advertising and interviewing to then hire the wrong person because they can get in the door two months quicker.

I'm currently 5 weeks into my 3 months notice.

Working with my boss to help find a replacement. I've been honest with him and told him one of the reasons I'm off is because the job isn't challenging and isn't enough for a full time person, could easily be split between colleagues.

He wants to keep the headcount though. He'll be in the same boat again in a few months looking for someone new.

I haven't started looking for a new role yet, probably going to take summer off and start looking October time.

Bottom line is notice would be tbere for a reason. 3mths for Joe shopfloor makes no sense
It’s 1 week for every year you’ve been there, up to 12 weeks, regardless of position.

Did he sign a contract that said 3 mo this notice.
Probably. It’s catch 22 though. Do you give your notice then start looking for a job, or find a job then hope they’ll hold it for 3 months?

Last edited:
It’s 1 week for every year you’ve been there, up to 12 weeks, regardless of position.

Probably. It’s catch 22 though. Do you give your notice then start looking for a job, or find a job then hope they’ll hold it for 3 months?

But the top rule helps if you get made redundant.

Not sure about 'Joe Shopfloor' but if you're leaving a 3 month notice period then your new job will also have a 3 month notice period.

Job I'm in now, found out about it mid September and started end of January.

A good company won't spend two months advertising and interviewing to then hire the wrong person because they can get in the door two months quicker.
He’s a machinist going to a job where he’ll be one of many machinists. They’re probably queuing round the block for it, so it’s unlikely they be prepared to wait 3 months just for him.

But the top rule helps if you get made redundant.
Obviously.

My contract says I can’t work for a competitor within x miles for a period of 6 months or something. Aye reeto.

Last edited:

Back