Working a long notice period

What’s the point of this exactly?

Lad at work has been told he’s got to work 12 weeks notice. His new job starts in 3, so he’s refused. Do they seriously expect people to hang around for 3 months when they can’t enforce it.
Been the case for most of my jobs - works on both sides so it can be a positive. For certain jobs, it can take a good while to get a decent replacement and lots of things do need to be finished off/passed over.

Just walk out of the door waving your cock around and cite some contractual breach based around health and safety or data security, you'll find some if you dig hard enough.

How many new employers will keep a job open 3 months though? I’m not talking about headhunted people - just joe shopfloor who has a new job lined up.

I had to work 3 months in my last job. Gave me a bit of security and time to find a new one when I resigned. Luckily found a job with a month to go but the 3 months was excruciating - was hoping for gardening leave but they held me to it.

The twats.

I’ve got a 12 week notice period and I’m waiting to hand in my notice (hopefully next week). My current place won’t budge on it because we have a new computer system going live in August and I’ve been pretty vital to it. The place I’m going are fine with it but it’s going to be horrendous!

I don’t think I’d go and work anywhere that holds people at my level to a 12 week notice period!

I need to do something to mess up the new computer system so they’ll put me on gardening leave!
Love it when people say this. Every system I've ever worked on usually has at least 50 people saying the same thing. :lol:

How many new employers will keep a job open 3 months though? I’m not talking about headhunted people - just joe shopfloor who has a new job lined up.
Why would Joe Shopfloor have 3mths notice? It has to be equitable. Work in a nursing home, nursery or somewhere when you leaving will have a detrimental effect on those who need your assistance. Work in a garage where a mechanic walking out could screw the business or work on the shop floor in Tesco where it would lead to longer queues at the till or a little less stock on the shelves
Bottom line is notice would be tbere for a reason. 3mths for Joe shopfloor makes no sense

Last edited:
I work at a place where the company has been taking over many times. So you have people working in it that are on all sorts of different terms. We have old lags who are key people that are on 4 weeks and fresh out of school admin staff on 3 months. Seems very unfair on the younguns as they get paid shite and get nowhere near the holidays that those who were around in civil service days get.

I work at a place where the company has been taking over many times. So you have people working in it that are on all sorts of different terms. We have old lags who are key people that are on 4 weeks and fresh out of school admin staff on 3 months. Seems very unfair on the younguns as they get paid shite and get nowhere near the holidays that those who were around in civil service days get.

Why's it unfair on them? Again it works both ways.

If you get taken over again and those youngsters are made redundant they get a 3 month lumper or notice to find a new role (Provided it's respective terms which notice usually is).

Again I bet everyone on here would be up in arms if they had a 3 month contractual notice and a company tried to get away with a lesser one when making them redundant. Can't have it both ways.

Why's it unfair on them? Again it works both ways.

If you get taken over again and those youngsters are made redundant they get a 3 month lumper or notice to find a new role (Provided it's respective terms which notice usually is).

Again I bet everyone on here would be up in arms if they had a 3 month contractual notice and a company tried to get away with a lesser one when making them redundant. Can't have it both ways.
The reason it's unfair is because it prevents them from moving elsewhere for better money. They barely get by on the money they have so there's no way they can jack a job and not have something lined up to walk into the following Monday.

its no good reading a contract after you have sined it

Last edited by a moderator:

It’s unlikely. Unless the individual is remarkable at their job, there will be others with similar skills who will be available earlier than three months. That and resource planning for shop floor tends to operate over a shorter duration. The business will know when they need personnel, but would operate around a two month recruitment process. One month to review C.V.s/ interview plus one month notice period.

Love it when people say this. Every system I've ever worked on usually has at least 50 people saying the same thing. :lol:
In my case it’s actually true. I’m one of 3 people with the knowledge of the area I work in and its requirements when it comes to a new finance system are pretty niche.

I’m not one of these IT/project folk who blows their own trumpet. I actually couldn’t care less about the implementation of the new system, and it’s been an absolute disaster to date, mainly due to factors outwith my employer’s control.

Last edited:

Back