work from home tax re-claim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to confirm this for those wondering. If you’ve been asked to work from home for one day since April you can claim a whole year of this tax relief. One day.
It’s not much but it’s better than nowt.

HMRC site is a bit if a failure tbh so anyone making a claim I suggest you check it worked. I made a claim for business mileage in May, the two last tax years. Took me a while to do this online, it was never received though. On the phone to Inland Revenue atm while they work out what to do

Edit: Got to start all over again

Last edited:
HMRC site is a bit if a failure tbh so anyone making a claim I suggest you check it worked. I made a claim for business mileage in May, the two last tax years. Took me a while to do this online, it was never received though. On the phone to Inland Revenue atm while they work out what to do

Edit: Got to start all over again
This process seems to work quite well, mind. I claimed this a month ago, and got a change to my tax code almost immediately and I noticed the difference in my monthly pay this month already.

Won't be claiming mine.

Costs me twice as much (at least) in petrol to go in the office than it will in heating and electric at home.

If people's costs have increased working from home then fair enough.

This process seems to work quite well, mind. I claimed this a month ago, and got a change to my tax code almost immediately and I noticed the difference in my monthly pay this month already.
I genuinely don’t know what happened to mine. Got a government gateway account, logged in and claimed for two tax years and heard nothing. Only found out today they have no record of it

Mine is for the difference between government mileage rate of 45p and the measly 25p my employer pays, the tax on 20p/mile difference on thousands of miles worked out at about £350 for last year so worth having

Last edited:
Seems pointless to claim now if you're going to be working from home for a while. Quicker to just wait and do it one go later?

My lass has been telling me to do this for years. Been working from home full time since 2013 and always seemed like too much of a clear on to claim back. Might have a look if it’s been made easier

Once you’ve set up a Gateway account with HMRC they’ll send you an email to tell you it’s changed. You can go in and see it in your account online it on the app. Also it should be on your payslip.
Just checked and changed from 1250L to 1282 so an extra £300 a year ain’t it. From this month so works out about £150 I’ll get from now until April next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back