work from home tax re-claim

It’s canny that they now make it very easy to claim. I’ve always done the apportioning of costs for mine so will just stick with that.

I work from home so couldn't care less, can see why office workers would be unhappy about it though.

Why specifically office workers (most of whom are working from home anyway)
It's the non office workers that can't work from home who would be more miffed.

Its only £1.20 a week anyway

Why specifically office workers (most of whom are working from home anyway)
It's the non office workers that can't work from home who would be more miffed.

Its only £1.20 a week anyway
Can someone working at Nissan build a car in their front room?

Do people working from an office have to pay for their gas and electric to work?

No but people who dont work from home have travel costs, people who work from home dont have travel costs, the saving of which could easily be used to to pay for any extra gas and electricity costs that they have built up working from home. Its almost as if working from home and saving on travel costs isn't enough.

No but people who dont work from home have travel costs, people who work from home dont have travel costs, the saving of which could easily be used to to pay for any extra gas and electricity costs that they have built up working from home. Its almost as if working from home and saving on travel costs isn't enough.
So you’re saying your employer should pay you for going to work? And that you then shouldn’t be taxed on this as a benefit?

Not all do.
I'm working from home & it's costing me more due to having no travel costs in the 1st place & now additional heating & leccy costs.

The two are separate issues.

I had no travel costs prior to working from home so that hasn't changed, however I've had to pay to upgrade our Internet to deal with home working and obviously the electric bills are going up quite a lot.

I claimed this back in the summer, it was sorted very quickly. It's only a few quid but it all adds up. As mentioned above, they'd be chasing me for that money if it was owed to them.

£60 a year without evidence.

Hmm, I've got the heating on all the time and all the lecky for the IT kit I use. Plus the chair I had to buy. Seems you have to go down the self-assessment route to claim properly.

Mind, if I convert my garage to a study, do you think I could claim that?

Back